OK, I'm gonna build an AR...help

Branket

So I decided that I want to build an AR. I'm not really sure of the configuration yet, but I bought a lower and parts kit today to get myself started.

So here's my first question, what tools do I honestly need to assemble the parts kit? Some people say a screwdriver and a hammer will do yet others say you need all kinds of punches, pin holder's and what not that will end up costing more than the lower itself. So what do I really need?

Thats it for now, but I'm sure I'll be bumping this thread with new questions as the process continues.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dotsun

I haven't done it, but I've been considering the same route. Check over at ar15.com, they have some nice walkthroughs with pics. From what I've read I think you can get by with a brass hammer and brass punch, but it's been awhile since I've perused the instructions.

Where'd you get your lower, and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

I bought it at Coal Creek, they were actually very helpful and friendly which was odd but the last couple times I've been in there they've improved customer service. I didn't even go there with the intention of buying anything but here I am. As for cost $115.

Guest 0down

Most kits come with the upper assembled. If all you need to do is assemble the lower, it is not difficult at all. I did mine with a hammer and some screw drivers. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was. After it was finished, I was a little disappointed because it was so easy.

The hardest part are the roll pins. Take your time and go slow. Here are the instructions I used.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Good luck.

When I built my lower I used masking tape to help avoid scratches. I used some old small allen wrenches as makeshift pin punches. I used a razor blade to hold the detent and spring in place until I could get the pivot pin inserted. You just have to be creative.

While online resources are helpful, I picked up a copy of The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide. A physical book with step-by-step and pictures is quite handy when you're sitting at the kitchen table. It also makes fine bathroom reading. :)

Yeah, I definitely agree with the simple-is best approach. If you're going to put together a dozen or so, sure, invest in the tools to make it easier, but for just one, simple household stuff will suffice. Looks like you've got links to the good instructional sites, so take your time and you should do fine. The pivot pin detent/spring and the bolt release roll pin are the hard parts, IMHO. The rest of it is pretty much cake. Good luck, and enjoy.

DanO

Guest VandyZ

I got a punch set (w/ roll pin punches) that had just what I needed at Sears. I think it was $10-$15. I also put masking tape in the places where i had to use the punches. With the roll pin punches, it made it fool proof and easy.

Alright, so I went with the hammer and screwdriver method and so far so good. Only ended up with two little nicks from the hammer by the bolt catch pin even though I taped it off, I don't really care though because this isn't going to be a safe queen or a show piece.

So the lower is complete with the absence of a stock because I haven't chosen one I really like yet. Thanks for the input.

The gun was designed so a moron could assemble it. That's what makes them so great. I've heard of people who've never seen one and had no problem assembling the lower.

If anyone in the Nashville area needs the armorers wrench please PM me as I have one collecting dust.

When I had all the little pieces spread out and staring me in the face I though it was going to be way more difficult that it was. Probably took about 30 minutes including reading the ar15.com guide several times to ensure correctness. It was like 0down said, now that it's done I'm disappointed at the simplicity, oh well I can always make it sound terribly difficult to non gun loving people.

Guest ETS_Inc

Congrats. Now you've gone and done it, though. You've become fully infected with BlackRifleDisease. Once you start building your own, the infection really takes over and there's no turning back.

Congrats. Now you've gone and done it, though. You've become fully infected with BlackRifleDisease. Once you start building your own, the infection really takes over and there's no turning back.

I've already noticed the change. I originally wanted a basic M4 now the amount of of things I want to do differently are starting to pile up. I almost think it would have been safer to buy one already built to save me from my own customization, but wheres the fun in that. Of course my crazy desires are greatly limited by my bank account...

Guest yankeegonesouthern
It was like 0down said, now that it's done I'm disappointed at the simplicity, oh well I can always make it sound terribly difficult to non gun loving people.

lol, or take it apart and do it blindfolded.

I just got done reading several articals on ARs(while on the throne) and now I want to build one too. Wish the army would have gave me my M-4 when I retired. :D

I always read gun mags there too.

But your M4 had "da Switch"!

The AR projects all develop "mission creep" as you read about all the cool-o features you could have for just a leetle extra money. Probably ends up cheaper buying a box stock model.

[shameless plug, I have a receiver in stock]

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been real busy with work and school so I haven't had much time to dedicate to the project, or to posting on forums :D. However I did order an upper this morning. I went with the stag 2H as opposed to the 2HT above, the only difference if the one I ordered doesn't have the quad rail handgaurd. I figured that was something I could order later and at the price I got the 2H for I can't complain.

I never got my camera back so pics are still going to have to wait...probably until the gun is completed...

I got my first lower and it went pretty well up until I got to the bolt catch roll pin. Come to find out I got a freak lower that did not have both tabs drilled! I spent a lot of time before realizing the issue. Manufacturer took care of it so it's not really an issue. Other than the occasional freak situation it is very easy.