Vacuum sealing ammo in boxes for storage?

Anybody here do this or tried it. I’m looking for a more compact way to store ammo . I’ve got GI ammo cans with ammo , powder , primers  running or my eyeballs. Just running out of room for them.And they are getting more expensive !Would using a vacuum sealer to on factory ammo in their boxes be a good idea or not?

• Like 1

I'll take some of them primers off your hands! 

1 hour ago, jeff43 said:

Anybody here do this or tried it. I’m looking for a more compact way to store ammo . I’ve got GI ammo cans with ammo , powder , primers  running or my eyeballs. Just running out of room for them.And they are getting more expensive !Would using a vacuum sealer to on factory ammo in their boxes be a good idea or not?

Yep, they have products where you can do custom sized bags. I have a cheaper Foodsaver I picked up from Kohls or Costco and it works fine. Haven't vacuum packed ammo but have done large bags of flour that are probably the same size as 500rds of 556. I bet you can do 500rds pretty easily, and 1000 if you don't mind a long bag. 

16 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Can you get or make bags to fit say 500 to 1000 rounds of 7.62x39  at a time ? In there factory boxes?

If you are going to vacuum seal a large quantity of items, you may run into where the vacuum sealer begins to overheat.  This is especially true where you are sealing both ends of the bag from a roll and/or double-sealing to insure the seal doesn't leak.  I bought one of these to do the additional seals on my vacuum bags:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077TDLNA/

It cut out the wait time (from an overheating vacuum sealer) when processing a large amount of meat.

1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

With ammo cans, I pack them as full as I can and then drop a bag of silica gel in there to absorb any moisture. 

That’s what I do too, but I’m running a little low on room and ammo cans have got way to expensive too. I got a bunch of 30 and 50 cal. I gave $3 and$5 for years back

I'm hoping they seal well, I have been buying Harbor Freight plastic ammo cans when they go on sale for around $5/ea. They stack sideways in filing cabinet drawers. I wouldn't put that much weight in the cheap filing cabinets but I have bought several of the commercial fully suspended type over the years used cheap and they hold a fully loaded drawer fine. I also have some larger storage boxes but I like smaller boxes for more near term use and staging for later storage in bigger containers so I don't have to open the big boxes very often.

I have thought of going to vacuum packing but so far have not invested in the equipment. My Son went a step further by packing loose ammo with just the end of the box with the batch info in vacuum bags and then storing the bags in ammo cans, saves a lot of space.