Seeking storm shelter advice

5 hours ago, chances R said:

You won't have a car parked over the shelter....you have to move it, to get into the shelter.  Debris on top shouldn't be the main concern, surviving the wind event is 1st priority.  A whistle, air horn, emergency locator, etc should be inside.  If you have water you will in all likely hood survive until rescued even IF you can't get out immediately.

Lots of variables in your premise.

What about folks who live by themselves, out in the country? Might take 2-3 (or more) days to get checked on. *I* don't want to be trapped in a shelter for 2-3 days. Bathroom, anyone? Now add in family members in there with you.

Not planning an exit plan is a recipe for disaster, IMO. YMMV.

This has been on my mind as well. I have a large open area in front with no trees so am leaving towords an underground in this area as there is little chance debri could be piled on top of it. Still want an inward opening door though just in case. My issue is the cost. The prefab ones (moulded fiberglass buried in the ground flush are $6500 to have installed. Metal ones more. 

When I was stationed in Kansas, there were plenty that were hand built with brick or stone masonary that were mostly in the ground that worked rather well and some had been there for at least 100 years and still functional. 

I keep running the idea of renting a loader/hoe and digging a big arse hole, using railroad ties with sealer in between, lag bolted together, anchored to a concrete slab, plastic lined for water proofing and then finished on the inside with some paneling to make it more comfortable. Roof would be a layer of ties with I beam supports. inside dimension would be like a 10x10x5 box. Door would be a steel door with inward opening, vents and two steel cross bars to secure it from the inside. Think battleship style hatchway. 

Covered back over with dirt at least a foot, likely two. 

This would be placed on a down slope where only the door is exposed and sheltered on both sides like a bunker.

Then I keep thinking I should lay off the moonshine.

Heck, I dunno. All I know is we are debt free right now (house, land, cars all paid off ) and really do not want to have to finance anything.

Edited by DO-TN
  • Like 1

I'm a bit of a fatalist, I guess. The area where I live has some very old barns that have been standing for 100 years or so, even though they've been rickety for the past 30. I look at those and reckon the chances of a tornado hitting me are pretty small. And I live in a log home that's pretty darned stout. The roof might come off, but I think the walls are likely to remain. I have a large closet and a bathroom with no external walls, and if that doesn't work, well, sayonara.

11 hours ago, Darrell said:

I'm a bit of a fatalist, I guess. The area where I live has some very old barns that have been standing for 100 years or so, even though they've been rickety for the past 30. I look at those and reckon the chances of a tornado hitting me are pretty small. And I live in a log home that's pretty darned stout. The roof might come off, but I think the walls are likely to remain. I have a large closet and a bathroom with no external walls, and if that doesn't work, well, sayonara.

You write like a guy who's never been in a tornado. Brick homes get ripped apart. I don't see a log home faring any better, IMO. 

11 hours ago, chances R said:

As in any natural disaster…

Which is why one prepares for the worst possible scenario & then adds 25% safety factor, IMO. 

Flooding is a good example. There's insurance plans for 100 year floods, 500 year floods, etc. 

Were I to plan a storm shelter, *I* would use the following criteria:

1) Shelter outside the house, away from the structure & trees so as to be able to exit it when the storm is over. Being trapped by a tree or house wall is NOT my idea of safety.

2) Screened/barred windows. Fresh air lessens the claustrophobic feeling. Allows one to check the storm action as well.

3) Landline phone connection. Allows one to call someone, somewhere to tell them you're in the shelter. Tells someone to check on you after the storm. Phone may go dead during the storm, but by then the call(s) should've already been made.

4) Electric feed. Have some of those emergency lights like commercial bldgs use when their power goes out. The electric will keep the battery charged until needed.

5) Water line & spigot. Water pressure may be maintained during the storm, allowing a bit of normalcy for the kids to have a drink from a spigot.

6) Shelter sticking up out of the ground by a couple of feet, neither fully above ground nor fully below ground. Allows for visual line of sight for the immediate area & allows a visual for rescue crews to see it easier.

I went through a tornado as a kid, went through typhoons while in the Marines as well as worked a hurricane relief team. I saw what was a good idea, saw what wasn't a good idea for these types of storms. Floods like we had in TN in 2010 is an entirely different prep, IMO. 

My .o2

1 minute ago, Darrell said:

Right you are. But like you, I saw a few typhoons while I was in the Corps. Semper Fi!

While nasty, they're not quite the concentrated power of a tornado. Tornados will rip the chit out of any man-made structure if they hit it directly. Hurricanes/typhoons are lessened winds but spread out over a much wider area. 

I once sailed through a typhoon from Okinawa to Korea. The LST was basically kissing sides to the water, such was the roll of the ship. Guys were puking all over the place, it was worse than nasty. I avoided puking by not eating anything for a day & a half. We had multiple typhoons while in Okinawa as well. Wall lockers against the windows, doors secured & everyone sweated like pigs due to no air circulation. Fun times.   ☹️