Guy I know charged with murder

4 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

I've got a buddy who's brother caught a murder charge 3 years ago. He's been through 3 lawyers and no trial yet. He's been locked up the entire time. It's a bad deal and it doesn't look good for him. Crazy drama. People offering testimony for money then disappearing.

It's a legal system, not a justice system.  You get all the justice you can afford. Sad but true. All the more motivation to not get into that mess to begin with. 

• Like 3

It seems the game that is played with charging someone is very unfair.  Many times one is charged with way more than the prosecution knows is reasonable because they also know it will be reduced in a deal.  So a murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter. The problem is the defendant is on the TV news, in the newspaper and all over the internet being charged with murder. A lot of people read the charges and assume he is guilty.  Most of the time the deal is not news or even worse if the charges were dropped all together and the guy is still know as a murderer.  I remember a case in the Tri Cities several years ago,  There was a park that men would meet at called the man cave.  The cops set up surveillance and arrested 19 men.  Front page of the newspaper was 19 pictures of names and addresses of each man. There was never a story about the ones that had the charges dropped or what happened to each person.  Now I am not a fan of that lifestyle but their wife's and kids had done nothing wrong and some of the men did not either but I bet most that read that story believed they had. The last I heard 98 % of court cases never go to court.  Deals are cut, sometimes deals are cut not because someone is guilty they just cannot afford to keep fighting and the years of strain it puts on the families.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, 45guy said:

It seems the game that is played with charging someone is very unfair.  Many times one is charged with way more than the prosecution knows is reasonable because they also know it will be reduced in a deal.  So a murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter. The problem is the defendant is on the TV news, in the newspaper and all over the internet being charged with murder. A lot of people read the charges and assume he is guilty.  Most of the time the deal is not news or even worse if the charges were dropped all together and the guy is still know as a murderer.  I remember a case in the Tri Cities several years ago,  There was a park that men would meet at called the man cave.  The cops set up surveillance and arrested 19 men.  Front page of the newspaper was 19 pictures of names and addresses of each man. There was never a story about the ones that had the charges dropped or what happened to each person.  Now I am not a fan of that lifestyle but their wife's and kids had done nothing wrong and some of the men did not either but I bet most that read that story believed they had. The last I heard 98 % of court cases never go to court.  Deals are cut, sometimes deals are cut not because someone is guilty they just cannot afford to keep fighting and the years of strain it puts on the families.  

As has been said many times here, we don’t have a justice system. We have a legal system where you’ll get all the justice you can afford. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...