TWRA is tracking your location.

Now I do not hunt, used to years ago but lost interest. I can see the pros and cons to this tracking issue. The positive side they know where deer killed able to track it by geographic location, migration habits and just general movement in the area. On the negative side is they where you are when you check in a deer. Also if you make the mistake of hunting on property you don’t belong on and checking the deer they could come back and put the information together and possibly have you arrested.

Edited by RED333
1 hour ago, peejman said:

Easy enough to block the app from using your location. Assuming you have something to hide.  

That's kinda like saying the police can search you car or house whenever they want because....you know..."you've got nothing to hide ". 

I get what you're saying, but they didn't tell anyone about the tracking part. Everyone could see it coming at some point. It's kind of like putting government controled tracking on all new guns. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

That's kinda like saying the police can search you car or house whenever they want because....you know..."you've got nothing to hide ". 

I get what you're saying, but they didn't tell anyone about the tracking part. Everyone could see it coming at some point. It's kind of like putting government controled tracking on all new guns. 

It clearly says "report your harvest using the app with or without cell service".   There's only 1 way it's doing that.  I'm sure the intent is so they can monitor populations and such, but its certainly also capable of providing incriminating evidence, and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to use it.

2 minutes ago, peejman said:

It clearly says "report your harvest using the app with or without cell service".   There's only 1 way it's doing that.  I'm sure the intent is so they can monitor populations and such, but its certainly also capable of providing incriminating evidence, and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I have a good friend that's a game warden. I'm fully aware of what they'll do. We get in lots of arguments. Open field doctrine needs to go in front of the Supreme Court. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I have a good friend that's a game warden. I'm fully aware of what they'll do. We get in lots of arguments. Open field doctrine needs to go in front of the Supreme Court. 

Agreed. Folks don't realize the extent of their jurisdiction, and they way overreach in some instances. 

Well, they must think my yard is a deer haven, as that's where I check mine in at for the past upteen years.🤣.

Actually this year it was shot from the backyard, of course he was standing about 100 yds. due north on the farm next door.🤯

But I've had permission to hunt it for some 20+ years now.😉

RP

• Like 1

Hi all,

I guess that's the price you pay for convenience. According to the TWRA web site (Tag Before You Drag,) you don't have to use the app. However, if you don't, you are required to use a temporary transport tag and report the harvest on the TWRA website or go to a physical check station. So if you are truly concerned about being tracked, do the old physical process. Just my dos centavos.

Ed

• Like 3
On 12/27/2021 at 12:01 PM, peejman said:

Easy enough to block the app from using your location.

Not really....

Embedded in every photo your phone takes is a bit of info called "EXIF data". It includes your cell number, gps coordinates, phone serial number and all sorts of other nifty (useful) information.

There are apps and services on the web that will remove it, but I've been told even then there is still some info accessible to the right people.

Yep, reason 12,579 I have a tinfoil hat. They don't tell you about how they're tracking you (unless they get caught), and even try to stop you from preventing it. Nothing says 'trust me' quite like that.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Not really....

Embedded in every photo your phone takes is a bit of info called "EXIF data". It includes your cell number, gps coordinates, phone serial number and all sorts of other nifty (useful) information.

There are apps and services on the web that will remove it, but I've been told even then there is still some info accessible to the right people.

Yep, reason 12,579 I have a tinfoil hat. They don't tell you about how they're tracking you (unless they get caught), and even try to stop you from preventing it. Nothing says 'trust me' quite like that.

And there's a camera setting to not include location data with pictures.  It works on my phone as the exif data only shows the date/time, phone model, exposure settings, file size, etc..  

If you have a phone, and location services is turned on, someone (Apple, Google, etc) is tracking you 24/7. 

How do you think Apple Maps knows when the traffic is bad?  All the phone’s speed of motion slows down or stops and they can infer there is a traffic problem. 

• Like 1

Its always important to remember data flow is a 2 way street- on the TWRA app and any other app you have on your phone. You probably give it permission to access your location the first time you use it. That is how they would get around the 4th amendment.

Edited by Bad Habit