Issue with new RIA 1911 10mm

So this is not my first 10mm, but it is my first 1911.  She really is quite pretty.

PXL-20211221-182956441.jpg

Anyway, when I got it the slide was rubbing on the top of the magazine.  I figured junk mags so I got some Wilson mags and went to the range today.  I had out of battery fails about 1 out 5 round.  I tap it on the back and it closed up and fired.  I am seeing this wear scratch on the inside (60 rounds total fired).  Looks a bit out of tolerance to me. 

PXL-20211229-000349618.jpg

Anyone have experience with RIA customer service, or would I be better off stoning it down a bit? 

1 minute ago, Will H said:

So this is not my first 10mm, but it is my first 1911.  She really is quite pretty.

PXL-20211221-182956441.jpg

Anyway, when I got it the slide was rubbing on the top of the magazine.  I figured junk mags so I got some Wilson mags and went to the range today.  I had out of battery fails about 1 out 5 round.  I tap it on the back and it closed up and fired.  I am seeing this wear scratch on the inside (60 rounds total fired).  Looks a bit out of tolerance to me. 

PXL-20211229-000349618.jpg

Anyone have experience with RIA customer service, or would I be better off stoning it down a bit? 

I’d 100% spend some reasonable amount of time trying to get RIA to fix to replace that. I feel confident it can be remedied at home but I’d make them try it first 

• Like 2

I had an issue with an RIA and I had a great customer service experience.  I emailed them, they promptly sent me a shipping label.  The turn around time was pretty quick and they fixed the issue.  I really couldn't ask for more.  Also the issue that I was having was from the PO bubba attempting to polish the feed ramp and boogering it up, it was evident as the feed ramp was well polished.  RIA could have probably refused service on those grounds, but they didn't say a word and fixed it anyway. 

From the photo's I would take a hard look at the extractor often they can prevent it from going into battery. Many people put an extra power recoil spring in which in the case of a 10 mm is good thinking and rub a tiny bit off the extractor at a time. Also don't be afraid to use a little gun grease here and there  

Oh yeah, the pic was taken post range so I had wiped it down, I would never go with no lube, giggity.  I filled out their online form and they had me a reply and shipping label within 24 hours.  They seem as easy to deal with as Ruger thus far.  I dropped it off yesterday.

I have had a problem with RIA customer service. I have bought several of their guns including two of the 1911 22mag and a 1911 in 45 which all dine fine. Then bought 2 of the Mapp series TCM 22 which had trouble with them jamming and RIA customer service said since I bought them from Fredrick Craig the man who designed the TCM then they were not warrantied with RIA since I bought them from Fredrick. What the Heck? The mad designed them and RIA made and sold them so why do they not warranty them? Either way I love the rest of the RIA guns I own and you can't beat the price. Check out the new Bronze 1911 in 45 that Sportsman Supply has for $499 you can't beat the price and it's an awesome gun. I already have the 22mag and look forward to getting the 45 just like it. Also you might be able to tell that I use plenty of oil on mine and put a little grease or shooters lube on the rail and I think yours will loosen up and slide just fine. I like the Lucas oil for the slide.16413714175196333133008667925138.thumb.jpg.261d4633894ea48feb5aa8a478117b70.jpg

Edited by Hunt01
Left out last sentence telling my opinion.

I am a little unusual with my lube also.  I do use some grease, but tend to favor Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic motoroil.  I know, but I can lube a pistol or rifle, pull it out of the safe 6 months later and all the lube is still right where I put it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a similar issue with the RIA gun and some mags, like Wilsons, which sit fairly high.  The mag lips drag on the bottom of the slide.  First thing I'd suggest is to try different mags (which is probably what they will recommend).

Also, 10mm will often feed fine out of generic .45 ACP magazines, so maybe that is something you can experiment with.

21 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Also, 10mm will often feed fine out of generic .45 ACP magazines, so maybe that is something you can experiment with.

This surprises me.

Wouldn't the more narrow case of the 10mm kinda slop around in the feed lips a bit in a .45acp mag? Seems like it would be more of a gap than a 9mm in a .40 mag would be? 

The way they save money when producing a low end cost gun is make sure the castings used are machining free. The mag catch is one such animal. But, if there was a change up in catch acquisitions, the new ones may not be all that consistent with the last batch. More than likely, this issue of magazines riding high is a mag catch that should have had its step milled. Technically, the frame mag mouth should not have its mag stop cut, cut that far up into the frame as to allow a mag to go up so far as to ding the slide groove as pictured with an in spec mag. If it were my gun, I would have sent RIA the picture as used with their magazine and ask them to ship a new in spec mag catch. Sending it back would be the more critical issue of not going into battery for the average Joe. That could be just a simple extractor tension adjustment or as bad as a bad barrel. 

• 2 weeks later...