Glock 26 or J frame

I am looking at getting a backup gun and I am torn between a glock 26 or a j frame revolver. I like the fact that the j fram can fit in my pocket but I also like the fact that the 26 is the same as my 19.I like them both and I can shoot both of them well. Any suggestions? Which one would be better for concealment?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at getting a backup gun and I am torn between a glock 26 or a j frame revolver. I like the fact that the j fram can fit in my pocket but I also like the fact that the 26 is the same as my 19.I like them both and I can shoot both of them well. Any suggestions? Which one would be better for concealment?

better for concealment: j-frame (assuming you go with a snubby)

However, since you have a 19, a 26 can share mags. I'd go that route, but I am biased. Carry the 26 mag in the 26, and have the 19 mag as a backup. I have a J frame 642, but I leave it in the drawer at home. I like carrying the 26 more, and I can pocket carry the 26 too. Just nowhere near as easily as the 642. If you want to pocket carry, I'd go with a 642 or similar.

Edited by RoDan

i love my 27, but couldnt think about daily life without my S&W 642. it rides in my pocket when the 27 isnt feasible (cant carry where i work, so that means alot of arming and disarming, pocket carry is much easier for this). i think you can probably carry the 19 you have in the same ways you would carry the 26 you want, and just as successfully. if i were you i would go with the J frame, and later on if you still need/want the 26 then pick it up then. i dont care much for the mid-sized glocks, i like mine either full sized or baby sized!

i love my 27, but couldnt think about daily life without my S&W 642. it rides in my pocket when the 27 isnt feasible (cant carry where i work, so that means alot of arming and disarming, pocket carry is much easier for this). i think you can probably carry the 19 you have in the same ways you would carry the 26 you want, and just as successfully. if i were you i would go with the J frame, and later on if you still need/want the 26 then pick it up then. i dont care much for the mid-sized glocks, i like mine either full sized or baby sized!

I like this viewpoint, the more I think about it I think I would go with a J frame before the 26, as you know you will probably go ahead and get a 26 down the line anyway. The J frame is different, and would be more fun to have a variety at the range. I don't agree with the statement that the 19 is as easy as the 26 to carry, I find the 26 much easier to carry. I can fit it in my pocket, noway could I do that with a 19.

My opinion -- which is best depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I have both an S&W 642 and a G26. I carry the 642 more often. It is my go to option when light weight and minimal cover clothing is required.

Due to the lighter weight, I can carry the 642 in an ankle holster when necessary for dress clothes. I think the heavier 26 would be harder to do that.

If I were a LEO and carrying the 26 as a backup gun for a 17 or 19, then the 26 might be a better choice since I would be carrying extra mags anyway.

The G26 is only a half inch shorter and a half inch less tall than the G19. Not much more concealable than a G19. I have both a G19 (everyday carry) and a 642 (everyday bug). The 642 is much much much easier to conceal for a smaller guy. I weigh 150ish pounds.

Guest mikedwood

I carry the G26 and my 905 (both 9mm) J frame, together everyday. I have a 19 but I think the 26 is a lot easier to conceal for some reason.

I'm 5'7" and about 155 the G19 looks like I'm trying to conceal a freakin bus for some reason. The G26 isn't nearly as noticable.

This warmer weather my knock me down to just the Jframe though.

So I suppose my vote is both.

Edited by mikedwood
added

I pocket carry my G27 (same dimensions as the G26) everywhere I go and it's never drawn any attention. I'm a fairly big guy, so that def factors in, but I also feel more comfy having 10 + a reload available than just five...

I think there is a little more than a .5" difference in the handle size of the 19 and the 26. Sure seems like it anyway. I had a 23 (same size as a 19) and can definitely conceal the 26 more easily than the 23. Guess it depends on how you carry, holster, etc though.

i agree that the 26/27 does conceal easier than the 19/23 does. but if you were set to one glock, and you worked hard at concealment, you could get by with just the 19/23. i love the baby glocks and i love the fullsize ones, but not much love for the mid-sized, thats just my opinion. i've tried to pocket carry my 27 and i just cant do it...you all that do must have some big pockets!

Guest hickok

I promise that I'm not in the firearms business, but you need both!

Seriously, a G26 or G27 will ride just fine in any cargo pocket, jacket pocket, etc. Those times when your pockets are a tad bit too small for the subcompact, pop in the J-frame, hopefully one of the Centennial models with totally concealed hammer. I like my Smith 642 for this purpose, although I find that I don't use it much. Other than for work, where I can't carry, I try to buy casual clothing with large pockets.

I promise that I'm not in the firearms business, but you need both!

While I want both of those, it doesn't help the wallet. I think I will be getting both in time. I think I will start with the 642 for summer and then move to the 26. I do carry at work and my 19 is on my hip all day, although I felt my kimber getting lonely so I strapped it on today.