Quite possibly my first gun, ever.

TGO David

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I honestly cannot remember anything earlier than this and have photographic evidence of me carrying not one but two of these, circa 1974.

Some photos you can just... smell.聽 And if you know what I mean, you know what I mean.聽 Sweet, sweet Sulphur.聽 馃檪

yudit5opiq881.jpg

Stay gold.聽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember the smell and the feel of the "cap" burns聽 on my finger tips, from detonating the caps, by non-traditional means.

Do you remember the cap device , that looked like a small missile.

I bet these toys are not聽 marketed聽 to today's youth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Back when I was a boy, every kid had a bunch of toy guns and just about every store carried caps. I well remember the days of "Cowboys and Indians" and playing "War".聽 I remember being about 5聽 when for Christmas I got a full Cowboy outfit . Hat. shirt, boots and a double holstered聽 pair of cap guns just like that.聽 Anybody remember the Mattel Fanner 50 and Lever guns that had Greenie Stick 'em Caps and "Shootin' Shells"?聽

We had tons of toy guns back in the 1960s. Mattel's Tommy Gun was very popular. I had a toy Browning 1919 machine gun that ran on 2 "D" cell batteries and made sounds when fired. One of my friends had a spring powered Bazooka that fired plastic rockets.聽 Military guns were just as popular as the cowboy stuff.聽

And yet, none of us grew up to be mass murderers.聽 Imagine that.聽馃檮

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I couldn鈥檛 tell you how many rolls of these caps I bought. I can smell them now with wonderful memories. My father beat my a$$ right after I bought my first can of cigarette loads. My loads, his cigarette. I laughed and laughed and then I cried and cried. I deserved it !聽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, derf said:

I couldn鈥檛 tell you how many rolls of these caps I bought. I can smell them now with wonderful memories. My father beat my a$$ right after I bought my first can of cigarette loads. My loads, his cigarette. I laughed and laughed and then I cried and cried. I deserved it !聽

I alway thought about putting a load in my dad鈥檚 pipe but knew what kind of chaos that would have caused. 聽馃榾

These are memories I remember. I had a few sets of the roll cap guns. I also had a Mattel rolling block rifle and a belt buckle with a derringer that would pop out and shoot if you had the lever pushed the right way, both used the sticky greenie caps. As for the cigarette loads, my dad was ok with occasional cigarette, but he liked to smoke a Dutch Masters cigar and I blew one about half into with 2 or 3 loads, he wasn't real happy about that. Sadly our kids and grandkids don't know the fun that they missed.

2 hours ago, jeremiah said:

Do you remember the cap device , that looked like a small missile.

The one I remember looked like a bomb from a WW-2 bomber that you dropped on the sidewalk. Seems like mine is still around somewhere. Wonder where you can buy caps.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

The one I remember looked like a bomb from a WW-2 bomber that you dropped on the sidewalk. Seems like mine is still around somewhere. Wonder where you can buy caps.

I never had one of those but remember them. 聽They were antiques when I was a kid. 聽馃槤

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Back when I was a boy, every kid had a bunch of toy guns and just about every store carried caps. I well remember the days of "Cowboys and Indians" and playing "War".聽 I remember being about 5聽 when for Christmas I got a full Cowboy outfit . Hat. shirt, boots and a double holstered聽 pair of cap guns just like that.聽 Anybody remember the Mattel Fanner 50 and Lever guns that had Greenie Stick 'em Caps and "Shootin' Shells"?聽

We had tons of toy guns back in the 1960s. Mattel's Tommy Gun was very popular. I had a toy Browning 1919 machine gun that ran on 2 "D" cell batteries and made sounds when fired. One of my friends had a spring powered Bazooka that fired plastic rockets.聽 Military guns were just as popular as the cowboy stuff.聽

And yet, none of us grew up to be mass murderers.聽 Imagine that.聽馃檮

I had the Browning machine gun myself, probably the same one like yours. When the batteries ran down my parents wouldn't buy me any more. It was quite noisy. LOL. I also had some Davy Crockett pistols and a 1911 that looked amazingly real. It came with 8 bullets that would fire and then you just snapped the bullet back into the casing and you were in business again. I left in on the dash of my mother's car once and the gas station attendant got quite nervous and asked her if it was real. I also had a Dick Tracy .38 special that was pretty real looking too.

Edited by Tuffus
  • Administrator

Vintage 1960's Blasters Repeating Roll Caps 5 Rolls 250 | Etsy

I couldn't possibly count how many of those little Tootsie Roll sized boxes of caps that I took, pulled a segment off of, and then smashed with a hammer in order to make the loudest bang possible.聽 I swear I can smell the burn of Sulphur just thinking about it.聽 馃檪

Life in the 80's got slightly more advanced when my friends and I discovered Edison Giocattolli聽cap guns from Italy.聽 They were more advanced and used plastic strips (for semi-autos) and rings (for revolvers) of caps and came in a variety of more modern styles.聽 I am pretty sure that my first magazine-fed gun was an Edison.

Image 1 - Vintage 80s Edison Giocattoli Supermatic System  Cap Gun Refill Pack Uzi Pistol

Image 1 - Vintage EDISON GIOCATTOLI Gun Cap 80 Disc Shots Made Italy original bubble pack

Image 21 - Vintage Edison Giocattoli Falconmatic Toy Cap Gun 13 Shot Caps

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, 03clyde said:

Fold back and double up a paper roll type cap so the hammer would fall on two live caps at once!! 聽Hopalong would be proud of me.

I have to believe that my friends and I tried that as kids too, but if we didn't... whoa.聽 Missed opportunity!

Blown Away Wow GIF by Amin茅

Haha I remember all those varieties of caps and might have also had the capgun David pictured but my favorite gun of all time was this beauty....350 caps per minute (rarely ran that long without jamming)...I think i got it after seeing Terminator 2....she straight ATE batteries.

image.thumb.png.d4206a51b22081a9b690663a112ea716.png

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
picture of this beauty
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1