Colorado Wild Fires

Hozzie

Life can come at you fast.  My brother called me at 2:45 saying they were being evacuated for a wildfire and he needed me to find him a hotel.  He texted me at 4:45 saying they were watching his neighborhood burn on tv and his house was gone.  

They left with the family and dogs and the clothes on their backs.  They expect to have nothing left.  They were literally in the center of it.

They are upset as is expected, but will be able to survive and rebuild.  This wasn't like a normal mountain fire.  Started in a Mesa near neighborhoods and now over 600 houses have burned in only 1600 acres of fire.  The fires last year were almost 200,000 acres and burned less houses.

Be prepared.  You just never know.

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1

Thanks for the offer.  They are pretty fortunate and won't have an issue getting by, but I am sure there are a lot of people that aren't as fortunate.  Me or my parents may drive out to get the dogs just to give them a little less to worry about for the short term.  

I have to say, I am not much of a planner, but this does make you think about having a bag ready with some basics.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

Damn. Hate to see this. Glad to hear he and the family got out ok. From what I’ve read so far about that fire, the wind was pushing it faster than they could get fire breaks in place to stop it or slow it down. Our prayers are with your brother and those effected.  

• Like 2
  • Moderators

First off, I feel for anyone that lost their property to this.

However, this definitely caught my attention today.

https://gizmodo.com/christian-sect-under-investigation-for-destructive-colo-1848308229

Of course they may have absolutely nothing to do with it, just caught my attention because Chattanooga has their own branch (what else you wanna call it) and Yellow Deli. Who else has eaten there? They do make some mean food but after finding out more and more about them I don't go there anymore.

33 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

https://gizmodo.com/christian-sect-under-investigation-for-destructive-colo-1848308229

Of course they may have absolutely nothing to do with it, just caught my attention because Chattanooga has their own branch (what else you wanna call it) and Yellow Deli. Who else has eaten there? They do make some mean food but after finding out more and more about them I don't go there anymore.

Apparently, the Twelve Tribes and the Yellow Deli started in Chattanooga.  The Yellow Deli in Boulder is currently closed...due to the fires.

4 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

That article is almost complete speculation and the group's religion is irrelevant.  They've narrowed it down to one area and a shed fire was reported there, those are the only pertinent facts. Whether those people claim to be Christian, Buddhists, or Martians has no bearing on anything.  The majority of that article is  a poorly disguised attack on a religious group. 

Edited by peejman
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, peejman said:

That article is almost complete speculation and the group's religion is irrelevant.  They've narrowed it down to one area and a shed fire was reported there, those are the only pertinent facts. Whether those people claim to be Christian, Buddhists, or Martians has no bearing on anything.  The majority of that article is  a poorly disguised attack on a religious group. 

...and pushing the global warming religion.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, peejman said:

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

...and pushing the global warming religion.  

I won't disagree with either of these statements, just thought it was very interesting whether a coincidence or not. As stated/shown above, they got started back in the 70's in Chattanooga. There's been...a lot about them over the years.

15 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

I won't disagree with either of these statements, just thought it was very interesting whether a coincidence or not. As stated/shown above, they got started back in the 70's in Chattanooga. There's been...a lot about them over the years.

I didn't mean to come across as a dig on you. I just got aggravated reading that pathetic attempt at journalism.  One of the best features of the USA is freedom of religion, be it a mainstream one or not.

I got the vibe that the author somehow decided that because these folks are a fringe Christian group, they intentionally burned down a bunch of houses.  The only supporting facts he/she presents are completely irrelevant. 

20 minutes ago, peejman said:

I didn't mean to come across as a dig on you. I just got aggravated reading that pathetic attempt at journalism.  One of the best features of the USA is freedom of religion, be it a mainstream one or not.

I got the vibe that the author somehow decided that because these folks are a fringe Christian group, they intentionally burned down a bunch of houses.  The only supporting facts he/she presents are completely irrelevant. 

Exactly, the author’s use of words like “fundamentalist” and “compound” made clear his bias.  I’ve never heard of the Twelve Tribes and they do sound like weirdos, but this article was more a hit piece on them than it was about the fire.