Ohio father shoots 16 year old daughter thought she was intruder

Dirtshooter

1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

2. Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you have made the decision to shoot.

4. Know your target and what is beyond it. 

It is usually the last rule quoted but that does not make it any less important. 

Sad.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Too few details. It says their alarm was activated. I wonder if she was sneaking back into the house after sneaking out. 

Oh I would bet a large sum of money that’s most certainly the case. Still can’t imagine a scenario, even with the alarm blaring, that’d I’d shoot my 16yr old daughter 

5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Too few details. It says their alarm was activated. I wonder if she was sneaking back into the house after sneaking out. 

Yeah this is what we all immediately think, me included.

I have a fridge on my back patio and in my garage. Both those doors have sensors connected to my home alarm. My 15 year old and my wife have both opened those doors to get to the fridges and forgot about disarming the system.  Just goes to show you there are other ways to set the alarm off in an innocent manner. 

Still doesn't take away the father's negligence. 

• Like 2

Something similar happened when I was a teen living in NY. Travel hockey leagues are big up North.... Man from Michigan was in-town with his son for a tournament, staying in cheap motel (read: bad part of town), Dad had a pistol with him (verbotten in NY), shot his kid dead at 4 am when he came back from getting a bucket of ice.

Never any charges filed (the pistol w/o a permit got press), remember thinking at the time no way I could have lived with myself after that, and that was before I had kids of my own. 

Honestly one of those stories I always remember whenever I pickup a gun. Makes my hand quiver for a brief second (Devils right hand.... rings thru my head, too). Cannot imagine the pain.

While I wholeheartedly disagree, stories like these make anti-gun activists.

A little off-topic here, but it reminded me of a story one of my coworkers told me years ago. He heard some noises in the wee hours, went into his daughter's bedroom gun-in-hand and found her boyfriend coming in through the window. I guess they had a man-to-man discussion while Rich held a gun in the young fellow's face. THAT could have ended badly, but didn't. I imagine it left a life-long impression on the lad, though.

Edited by Darrell
29 minutes ago, Darrell said:

A little off-topic here, but it reminded me of a story one of my coworkers told me years ago. He heard some noises in the wee hours, went into his daughter's bedroom gun-in-hand and found her boyfriend coming in through the window. I guess they had a man-to-man discussion while Rich held a gun in the young fellow's face. THAT could have ended badly, but didn't. I imagine it left a life-long impression on the lad, though.

I work some odd hours sometimes. My Wife never knows what time of night I'm going to be home so she's used to odd sounds in the house at night not to mention 7 people live in my house. I am not used to odd sounds. This one night I went to bed early. Around 1:00ish the internal camera alert went off on my phone. I then heard something strange in the living room. I jumped up with the 300 blackout sbr and off I went. I cut the corner and had an adult male silhouette in the living room. I hit the light on the gun, thumb on the safety, and finger just off the trigger. My Daughter's boyfriend froze. My Wife, Daughter, and TJ had stayed up late watching a movie and my Wife told him to sleep on the couch. They however neglected to tell me. I just turned around and went back to bed. By that point my Wife had woken up. She looked at me, looked at the AR, and said "TJ is on the couch". Yeah.....thanks........he needs a change of clothes now. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna hold off on judgement here. The article was so short and the media isn't exactly the most reliable at this point. Years ago my wife's cousin got in a wreck which resulted in her child passing. Local news said there were drugs found in the car which wasn't true and she was never charged with anything. 

If the dad went downstairs after the alarm went off then who knows what happened. I'm sure no one feels worse than he does at this point. I can't even imagine what he's going through. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm gonna hold off on judgement here. The article was so short and the media isn't exactly the most reliable at this point. Years ago my wife's cousin got in a wreck which resulted in her child passing. Local news said there were drugs found in the car which wasn't true and she was never charged with anything. 

If the dad went downstairs after the alarm went off then who knows what happened. I'm sure no one feels worse than he does at this point. I can't even imagine what he's going through. 

I can respect the “let’s wait for more details” but on the other hand I can’t think of any scenarios where he should have fired a gun without identifying his target.  I guess if he went downstairs and in the disarray of turning the alarm off there was a negligent discharge, ok. But even still I just can’t wrap my head around how this happens 

• Like 1