SKS issue with sights

I put this issue on the back burner a few years ago, but I would like to put this rifle back in service.  When I bought the rifle it was dead on center, SKS dead on anyway.  Carried it around in the woods and whatnot for a while.  Went out to shoot one day to check sites before deer season and it was hitting about a foot to the left at 100 yards.  No obvious burrs at the crown or damage to the sight.  I have moved the front sight, using a front sight adjustment tool, all the way out, if I recall correctly that got me about half way back to point of aim, but I ran out of adjustment.  

Any ideas on what could have caused this, or how I can fix it?  Don't really want to go with any kind of optic, for what I use this rifle for I much prefer open sights. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn near impossiblle to bend an SKS sight, provided it is factory and doesn't have obvious damage on it.

Have you changed anything on it since last year? Stock, receiver cover, add/remove the bayonet, piston cover?

Can't rule out stock swelling if it got wet or was kept in the humidity for some reason.

How about ammo. Is this the same ammo you have been using?

Pictures showing the length of the rifle from the shooters perspective might help. The detailed closeups of the front and rear sights.

• 1 year later...

I agree that it sounds like something other than the front sight is causing the issue. Drifting it all the way out should cause a major shift in POI. I had my barrel chopped years ago and the sight was reinstalled. Had to rezero it and it only took minor adjustments. This was on a Chinese model. 

• 1 month later...

Way late to the party on this one, but have you benched it or tried different ammo? If you're like me, you're running garbage through that old SKS, which isn't known for accuracy.

I would put it on a bench rest and see if it's putting holes in paper where you expect. Diagnose from there.

• 3 months later...