Tennessean 3/11/09 Editorial: "Bill cooks up a recipe for death"

Guest jmac

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090311/OPINION01/90311092/0/SPORTS07

Editorial: Bill cooks up a recipe for death

March 11, 2009

A gang of lawmakers are determined to create situations where guns and alcohol could come together — a particularly dangerous brew.

A bill was approved Wednesday in the House Judiciary Committee that would allow people with gun permits to take their guns into restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as the gun-toter isn’t drinking. But then, the lawmakers want that to come with a curfew of 11 p.m., as though it’s going to make a bit of difference exactly when the trouble starts between people in a crowded place.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, is headed for a full House vote.

Lawmakers supporting this bill are in a fantasyland. They actually believe people are going to carry their guns into dining establishments, believing they’re protecting themselves from danger, and then if someone attacks them (like that happens all the time), they will have their weapons handy to defend themselves. The flaws in that sort of thinking are too numerous to count.

Legislators who favor this bill believe gun carriers will all be as skilled and brilliant as Wyatt Earp. All it takes is one flare-up, and you’ve got a fight worthy of Billy the Kid. The only decision-making dumber than passing this legislation would be to eat at one of those restaurants.

And security? Is a bouncer supposed to stop a speeding bullet?

Legislators supporting this bill want the public to believe it’s about self-defense. Even if there is trouble, like an argument that involves a shoving match, or a punch in the gut, is it self-defense to shoot the puncher dead? Does one black eye justify death by gunfire? Is that justice? This legislation makes a gun-carrier judge, shooter and executioner.

At least someone is raising some important questions. Rep. Janis Sontany, D-Nashville, asked exactly who in the restaurant would be held accountable for enforcing the gun law. Sontany was told the onus would be on the person who owns the gun, because a violation could result in losing the gun permit.

How would that headline read? “Three die in restaurant shootout, but gun owner loses permit.”

Is a server supposed to frisk customers at 11:01?

A group of law enforcement officers and district attorneys general are currently traveling across the state asking for tougher laws and sentencing to reduce violent crime in Tennessee. All the while, a group of legislators are trying to make the job of the police chiefs and sheriff’s departments more difficult. Do lawmakers who favor this legislation literally believe their own arguments?

It was outrageous enough that legislators even proposed carrying guns into restaurants. That the bill is moving forward is a bone-chilling development. And it doesn’t stop there. The same crowd wants to make it allowable to carry guns in public parks.

Lawmakers should wake up and smell the gunsmoke. This is a recipe for tragedy.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too much kool-aid drinking. another liberal, one sided media publication. sounds like all patrons who carry into restaurants are gun slingers, make me mad and i'll shoot you dead. this piece doesn't even mention law minded, responsible folks. what else should you expect from the liberal media??? everyone should cancel their subscription to this paper. this type writing erks me and chaps my backside. just my :cool:

Guest GhostHunter
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090311/OPINION01/90311092/0/SPORTS07

The only decision-making dumber than passing this legislation would be to eat at one of those restaurants.

Or to subscribe to this rag that is about as cheesy as the National Enquirer

And security? Is a bouncer supposed to stop a speeding bullet?

I don't remember O'Charley's or Applebee's having a bouncer! Where does this clown eat at?

Guest mikedwood

I rarely eat out anymore anyway. I just like home cooked food much better than 90% of the crap resturants call food. When I do eat out I go to places that don't serve alcohol.

I have been to one that does maybe one time in the last three months. I left the Glock in the car.

And you owe me a keyboard GhosthHunter. That last statement almost killed me and sent Diet Coke all over my keyboard.

Edited by mikedwood
Added
Guest dtandy

I'll be canceling my subscription tomorrow!

I find it ironic, although typical, that liberals often express indignation at any sort of stereotyping or intolerance yet conveniently stereotype and express intolerance when it suits their own agenda. Once again we see no facts put forth by the author ... just conjecture that makes no attempt to veil a clear anti-gun agenda. What's even more sad is that many people will read this and take it at face value and never even bother to actually think about it.

Guest nofearracer

Typical BS, a loud mouthed kool aided up nimrod, who clings to his first amendment right, all while trying to tarnish those who exercise their second amendment rights. Typical media, trying to dictate to the mindless masses what its "bad for them".

Guest MisterJimmy

Lotsa hot words. Only thing missing are the exclamation points.

recipe for death(!)

A gang of lawmakers(!)

dangerous brew(!)

gun-toter(!!!)

fantasyland

Wyatt Earp

one flare-up, and you’ve got a fight worthy of Billy the Kid(!)

stop a speeding bullet(!) . . . .??

Does one black eye justify death by gunfire? Is that justice? This legislation makes a gun-carrier judge, shooter and executioner.(!!!!!)

“Three die in restaurant shootout, but gun owner loses permit.”(!)

outrageous(!)

bone-chilling development(!)

wake up and smell the gunsmoke. This is a recipe for tragedy. (!!!!!!)

Just serves as a reminder: "when you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t."

Wake up and smell it indeed.(!)

Guest GUTTERbOY

Yeah, they pretty much hit all the cliched talking points. I'm particularly impressed by all the Wild West references.

All I want to ask these people to their face is why the hand-wringing scenarios they dream up aren't happening in all the other states that allow this.

Yeah, they pretty much hit all the cliched talking points. I'm particularly impressed by all the Wild West references.

All I want to ask these people to their face is why the hand-wringing scenarios they dream up aren't happening in all the other states that allow this.

Including a lot of the Wild West.

- OS

This pathetic piece of liberal dead tree media is shrinking to oblivion, as are lots of other rags across the country.

Craigslist has destroyed their advertising base. A free Craigslist as will generate 10 times the traffic of an expensive classified ad in the gannett/liberalrag/algoretennessean.

Their editorial content has cost them lost of subscribers. The best justification I can muster for a subscription is the crossword. However, I can download and print better puzzles for a fraction of the cost.

Have I just convinced myself to cancel. Hey Mark Silverman(liberal editor in chief), you are flapping in the breeze.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Anyone ever notice how the dogs that bark and make the most noise are the little bastards who'd probably have trouble gnawing your little toe off? I think a similar principle applies to this outpouring of :) editorials.

Guest HexHead
too much kool-aid drinking. another liberal, one sided media publication. sounds like all patrons who carry into restaurants are gun slingers, make me mad and i'll shoot you dead. this piece doesn't even mention law minded, responsible folks. what else should you expect from the liberal media??? everyone should cancel their subscription to this paper. this type writing erks me and chaps my backside. just my :)

What's even worse than the editorial are some of the anti-gun comments. Talk about ignorance?

Guest Ctucciar
What's even worse than the editorial are some of the anti-gun comments. Talk about ignorance?

+1.

The ignorance is what baffles me. These people really have no idea. I suggest they sit through a HCP class just to see what kind of people are taking them. They think that it is only macho men who want to be vigilantes that carry fire arms.

Funny when even the "wild west" wasn't all that wild.