Snow!

I have lived in Mid TN since 1968. Don't think I ever seen it snow this much since I lived here. We got 6" and my friend across Murfreesboro got 9" in one evening. Davis Nolan, channel 2 meteorologist, went to Christiana and actually measured the 9" of snow on the ground there.  I wonder if it was a record snow fall for Christiana?

pop pop, we are in northern tn., but we moved here October 2014 and we had 14" stacked up off back porch. We assumed that was old man winter welcoming us. Haven't had that much since and that is fine with us. Snow is great when you are a teenager and younger. JMHO!!!

4 to 5 inches at the house in northern Rutherford County, looked like 5 to 6 inches at work in Christiana. Best kind of snow to get, pretty to look at for a few hours then starts melting right away on the roads so you can still travel without issue. I did have 1/8" to 1/4" of ice under some of the snow that made the drive a bit of a mess at first. 

Much better than that crap we got last January that was a combo if freezing fog, freezing rain, sleet, and snow that made an absolute mess and stuck around for 5 or so days. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, pop pop said:

I have lived in Mid TN since 1968. Don't think I ever seen it snow this much since I lived here. We got 6" and my friend across Murfreesboro got 9" in one evening. Davis Nolan, channel 2 meteorologist, went to Christiana and actually measured the 9" of snow on the ground there.  I wonder if it was a record snow fall for Christiana?

I remember a good snow in the early 1990s. Mid State didn't get as much as East TN, for some odd reason. East TN got close to a foot. I think the Mid State got around 5-6"? Even Atlanta got 3-4" of snow, almost unheard of for them. 

We got about 6" in NE TN and a 5+ hour power outage. Should finish melting tomorrow in time for the next one.

As if we needed a reminder my wife had a memory popup on FaceBook yesterday with her reporting in 2010 that we were in the middle of a snow storm and had about 40" so far at are old place in Western NY. One of several reason we moved to TN, you can probably guess most of the rest. Many Winters we did not see bare ground from November till March or so. I like my Winter weather in shorter bursts now.

I guess after the I-95 fiasco everybody is in CYA mode. We have a chance of snow or freezing rain forecast here for tonight. Expected to arrive somewhere around 3:00 am. The ticker at the bottom of the TV is already announcing school, govt offices and business closures for tomorrow and Friday . The first snow flake hasn't fallen yet.  🤔

I reckon in the morning we'll see if its a smart move or not. 

BTW: I did my grocery shopping yesterday. I have plenty of milk and bread. 👍

Edited by Grayfox54
Just now, tercel89 said:

I'm at work this morning and I swear I have never seen our city put down so much salt ! It's about half inch in some spots I swear! Almost looks like snow accumulating on the road lol.

20220106_074018.jpg

That's because the traffic and rain will wash most of it into the sewer before it starts snowing. The only thing that accomplishes is rusting cars, drain pipes, and polluting the waterways.  But they have to appear to be doing something.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, No_0ne said:

It's probably due to all these damn Yankees moving in ...

Guilty, I guess. I moved here from Washington, does that count as "Yankee"?  WA didn't become a state until 25 years after the civil war.

10 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The ticker at the bottom of the TV is already announcing school, govt offices and business closures for tomorrow and Friday . The first snow flake hasn't fallen yet.  🤔

Eh, I can't blame them for precautionary closing. Some folks with kids have to scramble to find child care at the last minute. Maybe this gives them a wee bit more time to do so?

On 1/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, gregintenn said:

Til Thursday.

You are so right Greg. The snowfall started at 9:30 and in 1 hour we got about an inch. This time the roads were cold enough and it is sticking to our country road. TDOT does a great job on the highways, our only problem is the 3.5 miles of hilly, curvy, snowy and possible icy country roads!! Hopefully the warmer temps on Saturday will get our country road in good enough shape to attend church!! Ya'll stay warm, and be careful we don't need any falls and busted heads or hips!!

• Like 3

We have close to 5 inches here in Mt Juliet, and still snowing I stayed home, brother and my son went in. Brother is still on the road back to Dickson, son made it home from down town Nashvegas to Tuckers Cross Roads in 2.5 hours.

I have the fire going, chili on, and all is good in my world!

Yall be safe out there, please and thank you.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, RED333 said:

We have close to 5 inches here in Mt Juliet, and still snowing I stayed home, brother and my son went in. Brother is still on the road back to Dickson, son made it home from down town Nashvegas to Tuckers Cross Roads in 2.5 hours.

I have the fire going, chili on, and all is good in my world!

Yall be safe out there, please and thank you.

Sounds good I am making chili. Also no snow yet just cold temps Tv says snow here by 2pm est   Hope everyone has a wonderful day 🔥