Shooting in the air on New Years Eve can get you killed in other ways than you thought

What bugs me is no reporter has mentioned in the story that shooting in the air in a subdivision is stupid. As for the Cop firing through the fence? Lots of bullet holes...seemed a bit reckless and innocent kids could have been killed unless he had a good site pic through pickets. Never fear, That Crump Attorney and Al Sharpton will soon be on the case with all the "Facts" I'm sure.

She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/news/2022/01/03/wife-canton-man-killed-police-during-new-years-eve-celebration/9078516002/

Edited by OLDNEWBIE
Spelling

Discharging a 5.56mm/.223 Rem into the air, 8 times, in a sub-division is the epitomy of ignorant. He could have just as easily killed someone himself. But cops shooting thru the fence when they had no way of knowing who was on the other side is troubling, too. Seems to be a lot unsaid here. More to come, I'm sure.

• Like 2

Bodycam is out and all I got is WTF!! Did cop shoot in anticipation shooter would level the gun and fire randomly into nearby homes? Gun was clearly shooting UP but crazy man shooting in air with other homes all around might justify a quick take down of threat. Not sure why the usual familiar faces haven't jumped all over this yet but... Racism is off the table because he shot the man without seeing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tfBLY0Ogtg

@OLDNEWBIE thanks for posting the video link. It's all much clearer now. Dude was emptying his magazine into the air! And that is as residential as it gets...look @ all the houses in every direction. Completely ridiculous to be discharging a rifle in that area, pointing up or not.

What's crazy is the cops got there after his first volley & they were assessing next steps when the guy comes back outside & lets loose again with seemingly 20 rounds in rapid procession. The wife's statement was a lie (shocker! not...) More guns & body armor in the house when they went in. Guns just laying out & there are at least two (maybe 6) kids there? Seems like a "model" father.

Here's what I know about wooden fences like the one that surrounded that porch - you can see thru the gaps in the slats and as you move and see thru more slat gaps you can get an idea of what's there. Plus the cop aimed high & got the idiot in the chest. I have no issue with the actions of the cop. Reckless endangerment like we see here by the shooting home dweller is no joke. Those bullets came down somewhere. Easily could have killed other people. You want to celebrate? Buy some firecrackers. Leave the guns in the house, preferably locked up if there are kids around.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Frog4aday said:

I have no issue with the actions of the cop. 

Maybe I need to watch that video again or get the information you have but I see a cop shooting through an obstacle at a not entirely clear target who is discharging a weapon into the air.  Not shooting at any other individual, house, or whatever.  

Does that warrant being put down?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

In my opinion, it did. I'm sensing you feel otherwise. I can see what you are saying, so I guess I must be weighing the threat posed to public safety by the shooter as higher than you are. It's a decision I'm glad I didn't have to make in a second, like the officer did. 

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

Maybe I need to watch that video again or get the information you have but I see a cop shooting through an obstacle at a not entirely clear target who is discharging a weapon into the air.  Not shooting at any other individual, house, or whatever.  

Does that warrant being put down?

What the victim did was exceedingly stupid, I'm not defending that.  But I tend to agree here...  Rule #3: know your target and what's beyond. Some of those shots may have ended up in the house behind.   

No blue lights, no sirens, no verbal commands, just walk up and shoot through a fence?   After having been on the porch and looked through the windows?  No opportunity for surrender.  I find that pretty disturbing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm "on the fence" when it comes to the Cops actions.

Missed part where he looked through windows but that wouldn't tell you much.

In hindsight we know this was just a fool shooting in the air to celebrate but man...who the hell empties multiple  mags in a neighborhood like that for fun? He might have been a bad guy or crazy guy. That's what I would assume in my hood but every town has it's norms I guess. New years or not.

If you assume shooter was an insane person shooting recklessly and randomly in a neighborhood your job is to  stop the threat immediately before he kills someone right?

Cop might of had a limited but good enough sight picture. If he announced POLICE!, crazy might have shot in cops direction or decided to take cover in home and prolong shooting spree. It was a weird scene, glad I'm not a cop in that situation. 

I probably would have called out to drop weapon and "hope" he was just a stupid drunk celebrating and would comply. But that would have been risky to the neighbors.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Missed part where he looked through windows but that wouldn't tell you much.

Listen to the audio, he says that into the radio before he shoots. He behaved more like a hit man than a cop. 

Easy for me to airchair quarterback,  but it seems like it wouldn't take anything more than a few lights and sirens rolling in the neighborhood to put the kibosh on all that stupidity. 

• Like 1

This part stuck out at me

"She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."

I have long wondered who the retards are that fire their guns into the air to celebrate. I cannot believe these people think this is acceptable. 

I had to go to YouTube to find the video. I guess I can see both points but I'm having a hard time finding sympathy for the deceased. He could have easily killed someone firing into the air like that. Did he deserve to die? No. But I also can understand why the cop might feel threatened. Imagine if he announces his presence and then the victim immediately unloads on him. That has happened before.

• Like 2