30 Super Carry

Garufa

The population is aging. Recoil is a factor. More capacity is always a plus. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

But I'm not optimistic as the laws of physics still apply. If it is launching the same bullet weight as a .380ACP (100gr) but 220 fps faster, recoil isn't going to be soft & easy on aging hands. And running at @50,000psi chamber pressure isn't going to be easy on the firearm itself. 10mm Auto beat up guns pretty good when it first came out & it is running less than 40,000psi.

I like that manufacturer's come out with new things for us to try. It keeps things interesting. We'll see how it pans out when pistols are in hand & rounds are launched downrange by a lot of end users.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of other articles about it here and there on the web. Apparently its the same OAL as the 9mm.  Therefore it ain't gonna fit in most of the pocket sized .380 or .32acp platforms. 

Its also reported that felt recoil is right about the same as a 9mm with similar weight bullets. In other words its gonna be nasty in small pocket sized guns. 

The ONLY advantage it has over 9mm is that you can get all of two more rounds in the magazine.  🙄

Yep, this thing is gonna be as popular as the .45 GAP. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've seen a couple of other articles about it here and there on the web. Apparently its the same OAL as the 9mm.  Therefore it ain't gonna fit in most of the pocket sized .380 or .32acp platforms. 

Its also reported that felt recoil is right about the same as a 9mm with similar weight bullets. In other words its gonna be nasty in small pocket sized guns. 

The ONLY advantage it has over 9mm is that you can get all of two more rounds in the magazine.  🙄

Yep, this thing is gonna be as popular as the .45 GAP. 😉

Well to be fair, that was two more rounds in a single stack mag, which may mean three or four more in a double stack.  Still not worth it to me for a weaker round that makes smaller holes.  

Been hearing and seeing a lot about this caliber lately......my opinion is that just about everything has been done in every caliber for a long time. Manufacturers are having to come up with new stuff to try and keep people interested and buying. It'll always be a new gun or new bullet type or caliber. If it's not different than it's much of the same. Different can be hard to do but if you put 2 heavyweight Manufacturers together and come up with a plan...you just might make a splash......then again, you might drown. 

On 1/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Nothing really. But it is a bottleneck cartridge so getting more into a similar size magazine won't work. My own pet peeve against the 7.62X25 is that sucker is LOUD!. I just don't care for shooting it. 🙄

You just need to shoot it from a proper pistol

IMG_20210104_135813123.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if Federal and others involved had a specific part of the market in mind. I suspect this gun will be a hit with people with small hands without the physical strength to handle many guns. Also, these people have limited experience with firearms. There is, in this age of miracle bullets, enough for personal protection. Federal and others could most likely give a care less what we think. Us folks are not the ones they are after for customers on this one. I still miss my G29.3.

39 minutes ago, Mowgli Terry said:

I suspect this gun will be a hit with people with small hands without the physical strength to handle many guns.

That was my initial thought. But having now learned that recoil is equal to a 9mm, I don't think that plan will play out very well. 🙄

Hey, I remember when .40 S&W was all the rage and everyone thought 9mm was underpowered (which it was, admittedly). With ammo advancement, most have abandoned .40 and moved back to 9mm, favoring reduced recoil, but maybe more so, increased capacity. 

So, we’ve already seen a caliber shift in favor of capacity, maybe we will see it again. 

I've always considered the .32 acp to be highly under rated. Its a good cartridge with adequate penetration that's very easy to shoot well. Putting hits where they count is the name of the game. 

I think Federal and S&W blew a great opportunity here. A .32 caliber cartridge powered somewhere between the .380 and the 9mm, but with much less felt recoil would be perfect in a pocket sized gun. But NO! They had to go for a 9mm lite instead. 🙄 I think that decision is gonna come back and bite 'em on the butt.  

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've always considered the .32 acp to be highly under rated. Its a good cartridge with adequate penetration that's very easy to shoot well. Putting hits where they count is the name of the game. 

I think Federal and S&W blew a great opportunity here. A .32 caliber cartridge powered somewhere between the .380 and the 9mm, but with much less felt recoil would be perfect in a pocket sized gun. But NO! They had to go for a 9mm lite instead. 🙄 I think that decision is gonna come back and bite 'em on the butt.  

A .32 Magnum? Like the idea. One of my favorite pocket guns is a Berreta 32.

• Like 2

They already had that in the .327 Federal Magnum. Able to get 6 shots into the Ruger LCR or their SP101, it was a great idea IMO, but seems to be an obscure round to say the least. However Federal could've taken the same round and put it in semi-rim version to use for autoloaders.

But ah ... just give me primers on the shelf at $30 a brick and I'll be happy. 😜

Pardon my sarcasm, not towards anyone here....

”Sir, do you have any 30 super carry in stock?”

”If we do, it’ll be right next to all the 380 acp ammo”🤣

On a serious note, it looks “TO ME” like it is an effort to give really high capacity to 380 sized handguns.  Look forward to an introduction of high cap LCP like guns.  A new marketing craze is born

I do so dislike marketing ploys and toys. 

2 hours ago, JustEd said:

Pardon my sarcasm, not towards anyone here....

”Sir, do you have any 30 super carry in stock?”

”If we do, it’ll be right next to all the 380 acp ammo”🤣

On a serious note, it looks “TO ME” like it is an effort to give really high capacity to 380 sized handguns.  Look forward to an introduction of high cap LCP like guns.  A new marketing craze is born

I do so dislike marketing ploys and toys. 

How high cap? I currently have an LCP Max in my pocket loaded with 10 + 1 rounds of .380.  And they offer a factory 12 round mag for it as well. I can't imagine getting to much more capacity at that size. 

1 hour ago, Spots said:

How high cap? I currently have an LCP Max in my pocket loaded with 10 + 1 rounds of .380.  And they offer a factory 12 round mag for it as well. I can't imagine getting to much more capacity at that size. 

I’ve purchased three of the 12 rounders and still have the 10 round mag for mine. Great carry pistol and plenty accurate enough for me!

Don’t see myself running out and buying of these .30 super carry’s.

Interesting. According to this article, the .30 SC generates 10-20% less recoil. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what real experiences are. I genuinely believe that felt recoil is what will make or break this cartridge. 🤔

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/federal-introduces-new-handgun-cartridge/

However, I also think that making the AOL the same as the 9mm is going to eliminate this round from its best platform. The .380 size pocket auto. 

9 hours ago, Spots said:

How high cap? I currently have an LCP Max in my pocket loaded with 10 + 1 rounds of .380.  And they offer a factory 12 round mag for it as well. 

The trend seems, like your LCP, to higher capacity everything. Guessing it is a marketing trend. Possibly newer buyers aren’t aware that an autoloader can be quickly reloaded?

6 hours ago, JustEd said:

The trend seems, like your LCP, to higher capacity everything. Guessing it is a marketing trend. Possibly newer buyers aren’t aware that an autoloader can be quickly reloaded?

So we should all live with 6 rounds, when we could have 10 or 12 rounds in basically the same sized package?  Why would we want to do that? Makes no sense.

• Like 1