30 Super Carry

Garufa

So where does the capacity/round carry debate end? We have 20/21 round mags for most pistols these days, with aftermarket offerings of 30+ and eventhe 50 round AR-type mags that weigh a ton loaded.

So picture the old fat man, i.e. me, going out with a pistol with 20 rounds on his belt, and 2 or more mag carriers on the opposite side. I'm now weighted down with聽 6-10 pounds of additional mass.

That's rough on the old back. Could asways go to bandoliers and sling pouches I guess.

I remember the days when I/we all felt ok with one extra mag!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've never really understood the whole hi-cap thing either.聽 I do own a number of handguns that hold a lot of ammo. But for most of my life my usual EDCs have held 5 to 8 rounds. I've never had a problem with that.聽聽馃槈

I'll try to quote Tom Givens, "high capacity means you get to reload less, not shoot more."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Have you guys seen the new pr release from S&W?

Shield Plus 30 Super Carry.

Darn it. I just commented on this. In the CSX thread.聽

gonna get one Hipower?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/subcategory/30-super-carry?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=smith-wesson&utm_content=11%2F16+30SC+Announcement

Edited by Snaveba
17 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Not planning on it. But would like to try one out.聽 Currently satisfied with PC Shield Plus.

But...

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I've never really understood the whole hi-cap thing either.聽 I do own a number of handguns that hold a lot of ammo. But for most of my life my usual EDCs have held 5 to 8 rounds. I've never had a problem with that.聽聽馃槈

Well I carry a .40 Shield, and I ONLY carry the 7 round mags, and I carry two spares. I figure if I can hide them on my belt and under my shirt, no reason not to. And I've never had an occasion to draw, and hope I never do, but I like the idea of 22 rounds total! 馃檪

If I can get a plus and ONE mag that is almost 30 rounds total...

On 1/6/2022 at 8:55 AM, Thursty said:

I dunno about this thing. It feels like an answer to a problem no one asked. Capacity is king these days, so I get the logic, but was another new cartridge necessary? Who am I to say? I thought the .327 Federal Mag was needless, but it seems to have hung on, and I even catch myself eying one every once and a while. For the .327 it makes sense, 6 rounds in a small revolver that otherwise holds 5. In that sense, 6 is a lot more than 5, but in the case of the 30 SC is 12 really a lot more than 10? 聽Where it might get interesting for me is if they can cram 15 rounds in a standard sized Hellcat or P365. That would be a meaningful jump.聽

Not the first time I've read 'a solution to a problem we didn't have' - LOL

To me, it's logical... my EDC is a .40 Shield and I had planned to drop to a 9mm so I could get a Shield Plus, and ONLY for the capacity. If the round count is not an issue at all, then I should stick with my .40 (bigger holes), but since I AM considering round count, why not bump it up? 馃檪

And the .327 magnum - I've heard the .30SC is more akin to it ballistics wise, and though I've never owned one I think it would be fun to have a 'cowboy gun in a .327. 馃檪

On 1/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, Mowgli Terry said:

I wonder if Federal and others involved had a specific part of the market in mind. I suspect this gun will be a hit with people with small hands without the physical strength to handle many guns. Also, these people have limited experience with firearms. There is, in this age of miracle bullets, enough for personal protection. Federal and others could most likely give a care less what we think. Us folks are not the ones they are after for customers on this one. I still miss my G29.3.

This is a good point!聽

I did hear it said, though I can't remember where, that with it being made and marketed for 'carry' it could prevent an overzealous prosecutor from saying, "you used a military round!"

2 hours ago, jimmylogan said:

This is a good point!聽

I did hear it said, though I can't remember where, that with it being made and marketed for 'carry' it could prevent an overzealous prosecutor from saying, "you used a military round!"

internet gun myth.聽

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One more high price ammo that's not in stock ... why don't they just fill up the shelves, reduce the price back to where it don't take the sultan's treasure chest to participate in an afternoon of target practice ... then consider if we need another caliber or not .... personally I vote NOT .

• Like 2
On 4/21/2022 at 2:25 PM, RussK said:

One more high price ammo that's not in stock ... why don't they just fill up the shelves, reduce the price back to where it don't take the sultan's treasure chest to participate in an afternoon of target practice ... then consider if we need another caliber or not .... personally I vote NOT .

I heard on You Tube (so it must be true) that Federal had the round under development before the Covid outbreak. They released it to recover some of their tooling and development costs despite current conditions 聽

Translation鈥ell we know it鈥檚 not the time for it but here it is anyway. Just look at the pretty adds and buy one.

These aren鈥檛 the droids you鈥檙e looking for

• 1 month later...

This will be more interesting when someone finally designs a gun around this cartridge, rather than simply converting 9MM designs to chamber it. A narrower slide, narrower frame could be really significant if done correctly.

Larry

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chances R said:

The most powerful handgun round is the 9mm, no need for anything else...period.聽 It will blow your lung out of the body.....JOE BIDEN said so.

聽He might be a dumbass.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Haha 1

I fear the 30SC may become a victim of bad timing. The last couple of years just haven't been good to new stuff. Aside from the flurry during its announcement, I have never seen a gun chambered for it or even a box of ammo. In fact, I haven't even heard it mentioned anywhere for quite a while.

It could well just turn into another almost was.聽馃檮

34 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I fear the 30SC may become a victim of bad timing. The last couple of years just haven't been good to new stuff. Aside from the flurry during its announcement, I have never seen a gun chambered for it or even a box of ammo. In fact, I haven't even heard it mentioned anywhere for quite a while.

It could well just turn into another almost was.聽馃檮

Or is it genius marketing and positioning for a potential future to come? 聽

We鈥檝e already been told that 9mm will blow a lung out. 聽馃檮聽 Many countries outright ban military calibers...could that be part of our future?

Finally saw a 30 Super Carry today at Top Gun in Memphis (Bartlett).聽 It was a Smith Shield and they even had couple boxes of self defense ammo in stock as well.聽 Thought it felt good and the cartridge did look interesting, guess meant to be between .380 & 9.聽 Didn't impress me that it was 10 round mag though.

During the life of the Ruger P89 , Ruger offered a combo package with the P89 in 9mm and an extra barrel inside the case chambered in 30 Luger. It didn't do too well. Most all p89 owners never used the 30 Luger barrels as far as I know. But I'm sure all these newer young gun owners are eager to try the 30 Super because it's new and offers slightly more capacity. I keep things simple and try to carry what is readily available anywhere in the US . I recently got a Glock 29 in 10mm thats not as common as 9 , .40 , and 45 BUT,,,,,, it also shoots .40 very reliably with no modifications.聽 As a TGO member mentioned earlier , it would be nice to see a firearm designed AROUND the 30 Super instead of an EXISTING firearm being converted to 30 Super. The slide and frame could be extremely thin and very concealable.

Edited by tercel89
Spelling
  • Like 3
On 5/31/2022 at 4:41 PM, larry1096 said:

This will be more interesting when someone finally designs a gun around this cartridge, rather than simply converting 9MM designs to chamber it. A narrower slide, narrower frame could be really significant if done correctly.

Larry

Yup, I like the idea, but I usually like to pocket carry a Kahr P380 cuz it's so small, easy and convenient. It'll be interesting to see what's manufactured.

• Like 1

Well I found something to LOVE about the 30 super carry.聽 It's won't blow a lung out like those "evile" 9mm's will.

Hence, it might be our go-to handgun round in the future.

Sorry, if this seems like thread jacking or a political comment.聽 Oh wait, it is the later 馃榿