Smith & Wesson Quoting 6-8 Week Repair of a Factory Defect on Brand New Gun

TGO David

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, peejman said:

Any chance the retailer would swap slides with you?  Assuming they have one to swap.  

Nope.  FFL transfer from the Internet.  

Those tiny screws are prone to break. They're not easy to make and any little flaw at the base of the head will snap it right off. 

As for removing it...  a dab of epoxy to glue it to something else, then some penetrating oil and some heat should get it out of there.   Or possibly cut a slot in it for a flat screwdriver. Any access to the other side?  Is it a blind hole or through hole?

This is a through-hole but the portion of the screw that got lodged in there is significantly closer to the top of the slide than the bottom of the slide.  There is no easy access to the screw from beneath, I guess is what I am trying to say.

I wondered if freezing the slide might actually make it easier for that screw to come out.  Heating it would seem to make the screw and the slide both expand slightly.  Heat would be good if the screw was coated in threadlocker.

But getting it out is only half the problem. You might get lucky and be able to just chase the threads, but drilling it out and tapping one size up is a strong possibility. You could probably get a threaded insert for it, but its not the easiest thing when it's so small. 

Either way, that's a lot of suckage for a brand new gun. 

I'm specifically asking Smith & Wesson NOT to drlll it out and tap it for a larger screw.  That would make it incompatible with the commonly available optics mounting hardware.

And yeah, lots of suckage.

everything sucks GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I agree with the left-hand drill bit. The screw is most likely too small for using an ez-out of any type? 

Applying some heat to the slide is out because it would ruin the finish, IMO. Most likely S&W will trash it & just send you a new slide asy.

Please allow me to say this wouldn't have happened had you purchased an H&K.......................    😉

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I'm specifically asking Smith & Wesson NOT to drlll it out and tap it for a larger screw.  That would make it incompatible with the commonly available optics mounting hardware.

And yeah, lots of suckage.

I was meaning a heli-coil type repair that keeps the original screw size.  But I wouldn't be completely jazzed that my brand new toy had a repair like that in it.  

Swapping slides with S&W seems an easy option, provided you could find someone willing to do so. Maybe they could sell you a new slide for $1 and give you $1 core exchange, if that makes their paperwork easier. 

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

In my experience, when S&W says 6-8 weeks, they're being optimistic. I'm thinking more like 3-4 months. 🙄

I wondered if there would be a shorter repair turnaround for locals when the new factory got built in my hometown.  I couldn't get a straight answer from area gun stores so perhaps that idea is about as farfetched as dumpster diving for parts.

2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I've done this as well but im stubborn as hell and occasionally that costs me 😂

Same here! It’s what makes us guys.😁

What I see is a challenge. With enough swearing, I really think I could get it out. Like you, sometimes that attitude costs me.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Administrator

I wonder if I ran the correct size tap (6-32) up through the hole from the bottom, would it turn the broken piece out of the channel, or would I butcher the threads?

Twisting the tap clockwise from the bottom of the slide would rotate the piece counterclockwise if viewed from the top.  In essence, unscrewing it.  But that assumes that once the tap made contact with the piece lodged in the channel, it would bite into it and begin twisting it rather than just butting up against it like a jam-nut.

Hmm.

23 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I wonder if I ran the correct size tap (6-32) up through the hole from the bottom, would it turn the broken piece out of the channel, or would I butcher the threads?

Twisting the tap clockwise from the bottom of the slide would rotate the piece counterclockwise if viewed from the top.  In essence, unscrewing it.  But that assumes that once the tap made contact with the piece lodged in the channel, it would bite into it and begin twisting it rather than just butting up against it like a jam-nut.

Hmm.

Don’t do it. It will be like a jam nut. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Hmm.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you screw the slide up it will be your problem. If S&W can not get it out they will put a new slide on the gun. Do it right and send it back even if you have to wait a couple of months. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Nope, the tap will just bottom out. 

In my career as a mechanic I dealt with lots of broken bolts and screws. Screws that small are a royal PITA. Just the tiniest miss step will ruin the piece. Such jobs take a whole lot time and an ungodly amount of patience. I could probably do it, but I've had many years of practice. An amateur shouldn't even try. 

Let S&W deal with it. More than likely they won't even try to fix it. Too time consuming. They'll just scrap the slide and put on another. Like I said, see if you can just send in your slide and swap for a new one. That would be the quickest way. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TGO David said:

I wondered if freezing the slide might actually make it easier for that screw to come out.  Heating it would seem to make the screw and the slide both expand slightly. 

A shaft gets longer and smaller in diameter with heat, a hole will get bigger in diameter with heat. However heat will work on the finish in a bad way if not very careful.

• Like 1

I’m a Toolmaker and could get that screw out, but I wouldn’t do it on my own gun. If you find it cross threaded or the threads are damaged, retapping it won’t make it right. They won’t make it a different size, they will just replace it. Send it in.

I have always been a S&W fanboy and still am. Somewhere in the forum is my story about a run in I had with them on a Performance Center gun over a trigger. I took it all the way to the Top of S&W. I wrote letters and mailed them to the CEO, and VP of firearms. I immediately got a call telling me to send it in, it would be fixed. It was returned to me with nothing done and I replaced the trigger with an Apex.

Smith & Wesson was always the gold standard of service all others were measured by. That just isn’t true anymore. And that’s a shame for an American manufacturer. But then who does have good customer service anymore? Sure, we all have stories of what good service we got from different manufacturers. Like I did about S&W. But then something like this happens.

I’ve owned over a 100 S&W handguns and had to send three in. They were all turned around within a couple of weeks. They did tell me that they shut-down for a couple of weeks during the summer and that really backs things up. So with stoppages due to the latest drama I would guess it could take awhile.

I wasn’t mad about sending the gun back. I was furious that after being a loyal customer for so many years, they turned their back on me. I was also mad that I paid extra money for a “Performance Center” gun that had a POS trigger. I think they are just putting “Performance Center” on most everything now. I told them that if my gun was in the performance center it was just on a cart passing through.

I know how mad you are though. Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Take deep breaths.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, joe4vol said:

If it is t thru hole it can be drilled from the backside. A lot of times it will push the broken screw out when the drill starts to bite. 

Not on this one. He mentioned how tight it was, so it's either lok-tite or cross threaded. All your proposal will do is break the drill bit off. 

• Administrator

Update...

The M&P is on the way back to Smith & Wesson.  They should receive it Wednesday.  It will be interesting to see how long this process really takes and what the ultimate outcome with be.

Until I have some other news to share, let the be a warning to anyone who is considering a new S&W of any sort.  Maybe buy a Glock instead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Update...

The M&P is on the way back to Smith & Wesson.  They should receive it Wednesday.  It will be interesting to see how long this process really takes and what the ultimate outcome with be.

Until I have some other news to share, let the be a warning to anyone who is considering a new S&W of any sort.  Maybe buy a Glock instead.

Or maybe a Walther, a Sig, a Canik...even a Taurus? LOL! 

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
48 minutes ago, hipower said:

Or maybe a Walther, a Sig, a Canik...even a Taurus? LOL! 

My Walther PDP still holds the position of my regular EDC.  I honestly don't know why I bother picking up other handguns at this point.  Variety is the spice of life, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, TGO David said:

My Walther PDP still holds the position of my regular EDC.  I honestly don't know why I bother picking up other handguns at this point.  Variety is the spice of life, I guess.

I laugh every time you say something to this effect. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Just had to gig you a bit on this. lol. I love my Shield Plus, have a Smith that you and Nate both touched and moded a bit, and your (first) P10c. Considered buying a CSX yesterday, but still waiting on a SA35. lol

I guess I'm just fawning over your choices a bit. I've found that my limited knowledge has been enhanced through the 2 of you.

Back on point, ALL manufacturers sometimes have problems, and sadly you encountered a doozy. I've had to use Smith's warranty 2 times in the last 15 years. Both problems were resolved within 2 weeks for me. However, times have changed and people as well. GOOD quality is expected, but not always found at the purchaser's choice.

Well, the gist of this rambling missive is just to say I feel for your pain, and hope it gets back to you quickly.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I sympathize with your frustration.  Drives me nuts when something that should be so simple becomes a herculean task.  I am anxious to get the new M&P 10mm but hearing some negative reports about the gun and S&W's replies to the consumers has me holding off.  I hope I can get back to where I have confidence in the products S&W turns out as well as responsive customer service from them.  I don't see me getting to that point any time soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billyblazes said:

I sympathize with your frustration.  Drives me nuts when something that should be so simple becomes a herculean task.  I am anxious to get the new M&P 10mm but hearing some negative reports about the gun and S&W's replies to the consumers has me holding off.  I hope I can get back to where I have confidence in the products S&W turns out as well as responsive customer service from them.  I don't see me getting to that point any time soon.

Me, I’m waiting to get one that says “made in TN”

• Administrator
4 hours ago, billyblazes said:

I heard some things about the 10mm having problems but didn't think to check on how the customers were being handled by Smith & Wesson as a result of it.  I guess I should have thought further ahead than I did.

In my meager defense, however, the last time I was a hardcore S&W fanboy was circa 2006-2010 or so and the few times that I had any need for help from their customer service department, they were insanely fast and good at it.  I had those experiences in mind when I pulled the proverbial trigger again.  I feel a bit silly for just assuming that things were the same now as they were then.

I hate it for you. And I have a few S&W's. But this is exactly why I have gotten to where I don't buy American products if I can help it. For example car and trucks: Japan makes vehicles to LAST. America makes vehicles to SELL. Same damn thing here. Sorry to hear your frustration my friend. Keep us informed on what S&W does for you. 

• Like 3
  • Administrator

Update for January 12, 2022

FedEx delivered my M&P to Smith & Wesson this afternoon.  For the sake of generosity, we should consider tomorrow, January 13th, as the first actual day of them having it in their possession.  I am sure that the most that will happen within the next 24-hours is that it will be logged into their FFL books and entered into whatever computer systems they use for trouble-tickets.

And then the wait will have officially begun.