Smith & Wesson Quoting 6-8 Week Repair of a Factory Defect on Brand New Gun

TGO David

• Administrator
1 minute ago, hipower said:

I must admit to owning a VP9 Tactical. It's been a safe queen since I bought it. The trigger seems pretty good on it. But I still prefer my Caniks and Walthers. LOL.

My weak hands can handle those. 😉

The Canik gets so little love from the mainstream gun culture, but it is a legitimate shooter's gun.  If someone like Springfield slapped their name on it, I think the gun world would rave about it.

And I love my Walther PDP.  It's sitting on my desk right now.  🙂

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

The Canik gets so little love from the mainstream gun culture, but it is a legitimate shooter's gun.  If someone like Springfield slapped their name on it, I think the gun world would rave about it.

And I love my Walther PDP.  It's sitting on my desk right now.  🙂

I bow in your general direction for such an insanely insightful and accurate comment.

6 minutes ago, TGO David said:

You can buy two of them for the price of a VP9 too!  🙂

Mostly true. On the secondary market anyway. Retail pricing is creeping up on the Canik line. Even the metal frames of the original guns are beginning to get higer priced...when you can find anyone willing to sell one. My Shark is absolutely fantastic.

The poly line is increasing as well. The best way to buy a Canik these days is to snap it up immediately when you see it from the big online sellers...PSA, GrabaGun, Primary, and Aim Surplus.

Darn it...now I've given away my best secret sources!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, gun sane said:

This conversation almost makes me afraid to admit that I often rely upon a Taurus TCP.  

LOL! Don't be ashamed. Some of us still have Taurus ugly pistols. Or is that ugly Taurus pistols? lol. I can say that. I own several. PT145 is actually my favorite, with a PT 100 40 a close second!

I have a sickly green TCH in my safe. Just loaded to snatch at a moments notice.

Bought it as a joke for my wife. She WAS NOT impressed with my intent.

Edited by hipower
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

This isn't my first M&P nor is it the only one in my house.  I think we have about seven of them right now between my wife and myself, and except for this issue of cross-threaded optics mounting screws, none of them have caused me any trouble.  We have put actual thousands of rounds through them in a variety of high round-count defensive pistol classes over the past 14-years, in the mud, in the heat, in the rain and bone dry.  They've always just worked and always had more than acceptable accuracy. 

Ditto. Except for a brief excursion carrying a Sig P365XL I have exclusively carried and shot M&Ps for many many trouble-free years including plenty of the high round-count classes. Those M&Ps are stock save for the sights, I haven't had any need to "improve" them.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, DennisG said:

Ditto. Except for a brief excursion carrying a Sig P365XL I have exclusively carried and shot M&Ps for many many trouble-free years including plenty of the high round-count classes. Those M&Ps are stock save for the sights, I haven't had any need to "improve" them.

They've always just worked for me.   I love the reliability, simplicity and aftermarket support of my Glocks... but the ergonomics of the M&P work better for me than the Glock ever has.

I have read some reports, on the Internet of course, of people saying that the accuracy of the first-generation 9mm M&P was trash.  Maybe it was?  We have a 9mm "M1.0" and it seems to do OK for us, but the bulk of my first-gen M&P shooting is .40SW and those guns do just fine.

I realize also that S&W switched the twist-rate of the M2.0 barrels to make them more accurate, and even the Internet seems to be happy with the results.  I haven't seen any reports that say that the accuracy is still garbage with the M2.0.

At worst, I think that the most disparaging thing that can be said about the M&P is that the trigger doesn't feel like that of a Glock.  Um, OK.  A lot of guns have triggers that don't feel like a Glock because they aren't a Glock either.  I also think that people who ride the reset of a Glock while taking slow deliberate shots at the range only notice the reset because they are taking slow deliberate shots.  They're playing trigger-finger pocket-pool.  If you run a Glock or an M&P or a Sig P320 or a Walther PDP or any other gun at "real speed" or in a "real scenario" you probably aren't going to notice the reset at all.  Just my guess.

Like you, I haven't *HAD* to improve m M&Ps.  Even my most pimped-out M&P has only had the slide milled and re-finished, so that I can run an optic on it.  Everything else about the gun is pretty much stock.

You and I are doing something wrong, I guess.  🙂

exactly GIF

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TGO David said:

Being totally frank with you, that is probably the only thing you've increased the enjoyment of around here.

Then terminate my membership immediately. Per my request.

I refuse to socialize with a bunch of people whom have no sense of humor what so ever. Kick me out as of yesterday.

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

I refuse to socialize with a bunch of people whom have no sense of humor what so ever. Kick me out as of yesterday.

You can dish it out but can’t take it. Not really surprising. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Done and I’ve issued you a full refund of your Benefactor membership.

Don’t pick a fight and then wonder why the other guy doesn’t have a sense of humor about it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Don’t pick a fight and then wonder why the other guy doesn’t have a sense of humor about it. 

Not to throw this thread off the rails, but can you invoice me for a Lifetime Benefactor? 😀

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Coming back around on this - there’s a reason not many guns have Glock triggers.  They sued S&W up one side of the street and down the other for the original sigma trigger - which was more or less a knock off. 

Very true.

Somewhat related to that, I’ve often wondered why so many people criticize non-Glock handguns for not having a trigger that feels “Glock-like”, and yet so many Glock aficionados (myself included)  end up changing their Glock triggers for aftermarket anyway!

I’m pretty confident in saying that what most people love about the Glock trigger is the positive tactile reset.  That’s the one part that they normally do NOT want an aftermarket trigger to monkey with, except for maybe shortening the length of travel.

You’d think that if the Glock trigger was all that it is celebrated as being, we’d all leave it alone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3
22 hours ago, gun sane said:

This conversation almost makes me afraid to admit that I often rely upon a Taurus TCP.  

My father had a stainless Taurus copy of a 92 Beretta. I sot of hurt to learn he'd traded it off. That thing was a spectacular shooter.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My father had a stainless Taurus copy of a 92 Beretta. I sot of hurt to learn he'd traded it off. That thing was a spectacular shooter.

I have both a Taurus PT92 and PT92C among other Taurus guns. I have an M9 and several Beretta 92s to compare them to. I see not massive flaws in them over the Berettas. Heck I even have a Gen1 PT111 9mm that has never given me issues. I refused to send it back in to get some unnamed $$$ amount or swapped for a gun that I did not have extra mags and parts for. I also have M&Ps. lol

People have preferences and that is just fine for them. Generally though I find those that shout the loudest about top end priced stuff are really just shouting "Look at me, I can f##k'n afford expensive stuff!" Guns, cars, watches, etc. are all the same. They buy it because it is expensive, but expensive does not always equal best. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have both a Taurus PT92 and PT92C among other Taurus guns. I have an M9 and several Beretta 92s to compare them to. I see not massive flaws in them over the Berettas. Heck I even have a Gen1 PT111 9mm that has never given me issues. I refused to send it back in to get some unnamed $$$ amount or swapped for a gun that I did not have extra mags and parts for. I also have M&Ps. lol

People have preferences and that is just fine for them. Generally though I find those that shout the loudest about top end priced stuff are really just shouting "Look at me, I can f##k'n afford expensive stuff!" Guns, cars, watches, etc. are all the same. They buy it because it is expensive, but expensive does not always equal best. 

I did send a PT111 back at the onset of the "recall." I never got a repair or even one of the next gen replacements most got. My late brother-in-law handled the return for me. He really got into giving their CS people a hard time over the dela in getting a "repair" done. So they promised to fast-track a gun out ASAP. lol After several weeks of calling wedecided to give up and wait it out.

Finally, I did however get sent a consolation prize because there were none of the promised gun available. Got a 24/7 OSS model out of the deal. Happy I was!

But I missed the PT111 and finally bought one on GB. It was not nearly as good as the one I sent in initially. By then, it was too late to try and send this one back. lol

Long tale as usual. There's good and bad in every brand, some more bad than others; but I'm okay with my Taurus guns.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TGO David said:

YES!!! What an ass he was! 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2