Smith & Wesson Quoting 6-8 Week Repair of a Factory Defect on Brand New Gun

TGO David

On 2/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, bobsguns said:

Then terminate my membership immediately. Per my request.

I refuse to socialize with a bunch of people whom have no sense of humor what so ever. Kick me out as of yesterday.

Thank God, (and Dave)  This dude was a total clown show . He had Google knowledge on everything. Im sure hes probably off curing Cancer since he has more free time now!🤣

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, TGO David said:

Well, allow me to introduce my anus-free M&P.  I've named him Bob.  Bob Gun. 

He started off with a whole lot of derp, but I think he's going to be OK.

i-KHq5xqM-X3.jpg

Is this going to be your carry gun or just a range gun?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Moped said:

Is this going to be your carry gun or just a range gun?

No idea, really.  I haven't shot the first round through it yet.  If it performs well and the optics mounting system holds up, I'll probably sneak it into my carry rotation.  The M&P has always agreed with me when I shoot them, so anything is possible.

• Like 1
On 2/19/2022 at 10:00 AM, johnwilliams5721 said:

I'm late to this thread, but I'll pile on since we're truth telling on S&W. Sorry to hear I'm not the only one having S&W problems, David.

I bought a Shield Plus in July. It has a problem with the slide stop getting stuck in the upright position which makes it a bear to get the slide to drop forward. Not exactly a feature valued in a carry pistol. I sent it back in the Fall and received it back around Thanksgiving. They had done nothing to the pistol. Despite the polite CS lady jotting down what was wrong with it and the required letter describing the problem enclosed with the pistol, the technician misconstrued the problem as the slide refusing to lock back according to the bill of work that came back with the pistol (the exact opposite of the problem). I called back and the CS fellow I spoke with seemed annoyed at first. It took some back and forth for him to understand the problem. It's been back in S&W's hands since the beginning of the month. Some of the time taken is my fault. I had some life drama and didn't take it to the range right away where I discovered the issue. Then I waited again over Christmas so FedEx didn't lose the pistol in a ravine outside of Memphis with the Christmas package rush. But the bottom line is this pistol should have never left the factory in this condition.

This was supposed to be an upgrade over my Shield V1 as my EDC, but it's fate is in limbo currently and not looking good. For a $700 pistol, my expectations have not been met. 😞 

The Shield Plus had made it onto a coworkers short list for his next purchase, but he smartly delayed purchasing during this drama. After mine came back still malfunctioning, he crossed it off his list entirely and bought a Sig ... which had a problem of its own. Can't win for losing.

My Shield Plus is back from its second trip back to the factory for the same issue. They replaced the barrel locking block. But the problem persists. 

I did some debugging on my own. I swapped the slides between my Shield Plus and my Shield V1. The Shield V1 frame worked fine with the Shield Plus slide. The Shield Plus frame failed with the Shield V1 slide. The problem followed the frame. When holding both frames side by side so that the slide stops are visible, the slide stop on the Shield Plus is noticeably different. The tip of the Shield Plus's slide stop is not rounded like on the Shield V1 but instead has a slight hook that digs into the slide rather than merely stopping it. The problem and solution seems obvious to me: replace the slide stop with an in-spec part.

Lots of videos on YouTube demonstrate filing down the slide stop to solve the problem. I had this silly expectation that a new-in-box pistol bought at a retail store would function. I also had the silly expectation that if it failed to function then its maker would fix it. If I'm buying kit guns that need to be finished, I'll stick with KelTec. At least with KelTec I'll end up with something a little more unique and noteworthy fixing the gun. 

Hmmm. This reminds me of an issue that the 365XL was having when it first came out, but it had to do with the disconnector. The shape of the part in the early 365xls was more angular and it caused it to be difficult to rack the slide. 

I ended up replacing the disconnector with a P365 disconnector and the gun worked much better. I suppose SIG fixed this later. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you got this worked out!!!

My EDC is a .40 Shield version 1 - have had  no problems - even put an MCARBO trigger spring kit in it and polished the 'innards' - no complaints!

I've had my eye on a Plus for a while, for the extra capacity and the flat trigger - but now the 30 Super Carry with the optic slide has me intrigued - just haven't seen one in the wild...

• Like 1
On 2/23/2022 at 12:42 PM, TGO David said:

Bob, I want to start by thanking you for increasing my enjoyment of this M&P.  Seriously.  You've made owning this one even better than I could have imagined.  Being totally frank with you, that is probably the only thing you've increased the enjoyment of around here.

This isn't my first M&P nor is it the only one in my house.  I think we have about seven of them right now between my wife and myself, and except for this issue of cross-threaded optics mounting screws, none of them have caused me any trouble.  We have put actual thousands of rounds through them in a variety of high round-count defensive pistol classes over the past 14-years, in the mud, in the heat, in the rain and bone dry.  They've always just worked and always had more than acceptable accuracy. 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vegaforce.com%2FVP9

(This is the anus at the end of the VP9.  It's not the anus at the end of the gun that you might have thought I was referring to.)

I dunno. It doesn't look like an anus to me. From this angle it looks like a center ready to snap the football to the quarterback.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, gun sane said:

This conversation almost makes me afraid to admit that I often rely upon a Taurus TCP.  

Heck, I carry my Taurus Slim 9 more than any other pistol. Can't beat throwing it in a pocket holster in the back pocket.