Smith & Wesson Quoting 6-8 Week Repair of a Factory Defect on Brand New Gun

TGO David

I found that Bob wasn't nearly as knowledgeable as he thought he was. While he was familiar with many different models, he was sorely lacking in specifics. I caught a number of his mistakes, but let it go because he seemed like a grumpy guy who wouldn't take it well.  Just didn't need the hassle. 🙄

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I found that Bob wasn't nearly as knowledgeable as he thought he was. While he was familiar with many different models, he was sorely lacking in specifics. I caught a number of his mistakes, but let it go because he seemed like a grumpy guy who wouldn't take it well.  Just didn't need the hassle. 🙄

I learned my lesson when he asked for opinions and I gave him mine.Then he said I was wrong 🤣

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I find that those are traits that are often very closely related to each other. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I often felt that bob and his guns did more talking than shooting.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, bobsguns said:

Then terminate my membership immediately. Per my request.

I refuse to socialize with a bunch of people whom have no sense of humor what so ever. Kick me out as of yesterday.

This is the best thing I have seen all week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I learned my lesson when he asked for opinions and I gave him mine.Then he said I was wrong 🤣

Don't feel so bad. I once answered a question with info that I know to be true. But he went out of his way to correct me with wrong info. 👎

Didn't he mention once that he was a former gun shop clerk? Well, there ya have it. 🙄

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

While it was unfortunate that he had to go, he left David, and the forum, no other choice.  

This type of persona is found in virtually every type of forum.  I was a moderator for many years in a Civil War Re-enactor forum and if you want to talk about "keyboard warriors" who know more than anyone else on any subject..... boy, that is where you can find them.  I always valued lots of input and ideas/opinions, but in that hobby, authenticity and facts-based ideas had to rule so if you put something out there, it had to be substantiated with proof.  Some just always feel that they know just a little bit more than anyone else and they want to push the envelope too far.

It's like Grayfox said, sometimes you just don't "need the hassle."

Kudos to TGO David for standing up.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm going to be honest. I stopped reading his comments a long time ago. There are certain members that cause my eyes to glaze over and I just go to the next comment. If others do that to my posts I won't be offended. 🙂

That hurts, Erik.😁

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I'm going to be honest. I stopped reading his comments a long time ago. There are certain members that cause my eyes to glaze over and I just go to the next comment. If others do that to my posts I won't be offended. 🙂

I seem to recall that you got upset that I blocked you until the political comments were deemed verboten.

6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Bashful GIF

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Erik88 said:

He was doing so well at first, but the old Bob just couldn’t stay hidden for very long. 

Back to the original topic, sort of…

It took Walther over a month to replace a magazine follower for a .40 P99. The follower tilted and got jammed halfway in the mag body, then cracked off the slide lock tab when it became unstuck and the spring slammed it into the feed lips. In the old days(up until a few years ago), they would have dropped a new part in the mail. Instead, I had to send the entire magazine to them in Fort Smith, which sat on someone’s bench for almost a month before anyone looked at it. They pronounced the problem as ‘fixed’ by replacing the part,  not charging me $$, and shipping it back five weeks after I sent it off. 

Edited by Ironhandjohn

I'd may be helpful to get specific timeframes on the anecdotes. The only time I hit up Walther was after ordering a new standard barrel to swap into my Q4 tac when I found a problem with it. They asked for a pic, sent me label within the hour, and a new barrel arrived 3 days later. Around Nov '18. 

Generally had pretty nice service within the industry for the handful of times I've had to deal with something. Overall I have found Springfield to be the most consistent overtime, always top marks for me. Sig is the most spoty, base on who you get and day they are having. S&W wheel guns are not something I will buy online anymore, only in person with feeler gauges in hand to check their barrel fitting since they no longer seem to check forcing cone gaps or if a barrel is clocked right.

Generally it does seem that QC in the last 3 to 5 years has slipped. But to be fair, I have bought a lot more guns over the last 3 years compared to the prior 10 since moving away from a restricted blue state where I could not buy those guns.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Was he a past member with a new name?

No, but I’ve known him for a decade or three. ‘Bob is Bob’ is the best I can offer as to his online & offline persona. 

The Walther magazine issue was a year ago, and I even started a thread in the Walther forum about it. That place is a mausoleum so I basically talked to & updated the issues to myself. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Would you categorize is as snobbish?

i'd say yes. But the established members are  a very tight group. Newcomers aren't exactly welcome.  🙄

I generally only go over there when I have a question. I usually do get the correct answer, but its like pulling teeth.  ☹️

Seems  pretty much every type / brand specific forum has a core dynamic driven by the loyalists and the ownership/mods.

arfcom and the akforum are a great example to me of how 2 different places you’d expect to be similar are anything but.

Gun communities that are not brand aligned have their distinctive flavors to. Larger seems to mitigate the old guard clique issues and less sensitivities.  

It’s good to have options!

On 2/24/2022 at 9:09 PM, Daniel said:

This is the best thing I have seen all week.

I'm a week late, but this made my day.  I found Bob to be obnoxious.  Having a compulsive need to post irregardless of whether or not he actually had anything useful to say, which he usually didn't.  Conversations were had with forum members that I talk to outside of TGO about how disruptive and annoying he was. Great riddance!

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

I'm a week late, but this made my day.  I found Bob to be obnoxious.  Having a compulsive need to post irregardless of whether or not he actually had anything useful to say, which he usually didn't.  Conversations were had with forum members that I talk to outside of TGO about how disruptive and annoying he was. Great riddance!

I’ve been giggling like a twelve year old girl while reading the post since 23 February.  I had Bob on ignore. It seemed that he felt compelled to comment on every post. In his short time here the guy racked up over a thousand post. He had an answer for everything.  TGO David’s anus post knocked me out of my seat. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1