Long Range Shooting-Spotter Needed

Ridin1

I just moved to 37137 and I’m looking for somewhere to do some long range shooting. If you’re into long range & need a second guy for spotting we can meet up (I’ll need a spotter for anything over 4-500 yards too). I used to go deep into the Sierra Nevada’s & set up a 4 gun course. 4 mags through the AR, 4 through the pistol, 4 reloads of the shotgun then lay down and try to bang 10 at 1,000. It was incredibly fun & super challenging. Laying down with the chest rig & thigh holster added a second dynamic on top of being short on breath. I’d love to get back into this. 

I’ve looked into a few of the ranges and the waiting list is deep, plus it’s not super conducive for precision load work up and practice. Public land is ideal or if you know anyone with a lot of land I’d be more than happy to pay for access. I have no criminal record, an hcp & state/federal clearance from when I worked in the prisons. Any suggestions?  

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ridin1 said:

Any suggestions?  

Memphis. Memphis is always the answer for where to go to go shoot.........................    😆

Seriously, given that you're in the Cookeville area, I would think the Oak Ridge range is what you're looking for. I could be wrong but I recall they have a 1000 yard line there? Membership is reasonable but I've never applied, so there's that too. 

I would imagine once you've enlarged your social circle a bit there you'll find a connection for some property to shoot on. I'm sure there's other long distance shooters around there, There has to be, IMO. Visit the local gun shops, schmooze a bit, see what they can tell you for options?

Tullahoma host 1000 yard matches but they don't allow casual shooting unless that's changed in the last few years. The range is on Arnold AFB.

Good luck!

Looks like you're on the west end of the state.  There's a shooting complex called K&M Precision that's about an hour west of you.  I took a class there back in October.  Very nice facility.  1200yd range, 300/500yd movers, unknown distance range.  Might be worth checking out.  Not sure of the membership fees.

Got some good leads here. I don’t mind the drive, it’ll just make a full day out of the trip to the range which is fine. And I’ll be less complacent about it. 

I’ve asked around at all the local gun stores & not one guy has known anyone that’s into relatively long range shooting. A couple hundred yards was the max which is pretty much what everyone around here can get on their properties. I’d love to get back out to 18-1900+ Yards. 1000 is still a pretty good click to get back into rhythm. It’s been a few years. 

Thanks for the replies.