My Story

I am a 40 year old female. Mother to 6 kiddos. Separated from husband and dating same man for 2 years now. 

Opinion on my situation please.   

2018 in an RV trailer with my 16 1/2 year old and 14 year old son. Earlier that evening my husband had gotten arrested for driving on a suspended license. Upon going to bed (and had happened in the past) power goes out. Went and looked. It was unplugged from inside the garage and also the breaker in the side of actual house (over 400 feet away) had been turned off.  We had only been staying there in my husband’s father’s property for less than 2 months. Persons unknown had broken in two nights prior and jumped over my oldest kid scaring him. 

I apologize for this being all over the place  

Anyways after restoring power, my boys ended up falling asleep on folded down dining area table.  I was directly above them in the bunk with curtains but kept them open so I could see to the back of the RV where suspect had previously entered.  Husbands younger sister kept texting throughout the night and at one point said that suspect was seen at back window taking off duct tape.  Time passed and the window opened.  Suspect began entering premises.  I was armed with 22 LR and had a 100 round, loaded magazine.  

With Apple 6 Plus cellphone in hand, I started recording. I accidentally slid back to prior videos and saw a parents worst nightmare.

Both children that were present in the RV with me were on video performing sexual acts with one another.

I loudly screamed, don’t even know what to them and fired one shot directly down the middle of the RV hitting exactly where I had intended, the middle of the doorway to the back room.

My oldest son (the guilt filled one) immediately ran out and to a near store and called the police. 

13 carloads deep with weapons drawn arrive.  I had already secured my weapon and took out the magazine.  No issue with the cops holstering their weapons.

Many questions and bull$hit time later, I was taken into custody, never told my charges until 48+ hours later.

originally charged with domestic assault (dropped)

convicted of reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon (class E)  served a 2 year sentence  out since October 2019  

I feel (and now) both  of my children (yes they went through juvenile justice programs as well) feel like neither was in danger.  My oldest had admitted to me, the only reason he turned me in and told them he was in fear for his life was because he wanted to go back home to California.

I am now a felon and because a deadly weapon was used, albeit against a FLOOR, I have lost all rights, including guns and cannot have them expunged.

Opinions please  

So let me see if I cam break this down Barney style. You and 2 sons alone in RV due to husbands arrest. You had loaded firearm while actively watching an intruder break in to RV. Find video of kids doing inappropriate acts. Forget all about intruder and yell something at kids then fire a shot into the RV? Now a felon for child endangerment? 

Why did you fire the shot? Because of your anger at the video? Either way, I highly doubt any judge will expunge that from your record, especially this soon after the incident.