Powder storage limit?

3 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Someone can fact check this but here is what I know it used to be.

20 pounds in a residence unless you have a box built to gubment specs and then it's a whopping 50 pounds.

for discussion purposes, what happens if you mmmmmiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhtttttt be a wee bit over this 20 # number with no goobermint spec'd box.??  Asking for a friend.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

for discussion purposes, what happens if you mmmmmiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhtttttt be a wee bit over this 20 # number with no goobermint spec'd box.??  Asking for a friend.  

No clue but I'm sure it can be found on the interwebz.

Just throwing this out there, but don't powder sellers ship up to 48 lbs in 1 box? I would think a movable cardboard container would be much more dangerous than a larger quantity that is sitting in the floor or shelf of a persons abode!! The wooden structure is called a magazine btw, not to be confused with a CLIP!

Edited by Dirtshooter

I did a little researching after my post yesterday and not looking at local and state, but the feds pretty much limit powder to 20 pounds in a residence, 20-50 needs to be in a magazine. Funny you can transport up to 25K of primers in your vehicle, but only store 10K of primers in your residence.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

I did a little researching after my post yesterday and not looking at local and state, but the feds pretty much limit powder to 20 pounds in a residence, 20-50 needs to be in a magazine. Funny you can transport up to 25K of primers in your vehicle, but only store 10K of primers in your residence.

What website(s) did you go to or the google phrase used ????

Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?

Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K – Storage.

It should be noted that persons engaged in the business of importing or manufacturing smokeless powder designed for any use must have a Federal explosives license. Further, importers of smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition must also possess an ATF firearms importers license (Type 08 or 11); must register with ATF under the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act; and must submit (to ATF) and receive an approved ATF Form 6 – part I (5330.3A), Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms Ammunition and Implements of War.

•  
Last Reviewed October 4, 2018

pasted from aft.gov
thats all I need to read on this.  It’s in the faq and they can’t expect anyone reading faq to look up a regulation.  No limit
Edited by ohell
  • Like 3
On 1/11/2022 at 9:06 AM, Dirtshooter said:

Then I'm screwed, I've got 110,000 primers and 55# of powder. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

There may be local fire ordinances or possibly restrictions if you live in an apartment,  I have never encountered any even in the Peoples Republic of Kommiefornia.

With that said, there are some guides available online as to the safe storage of powder.  In particular powder should be stored by itself (not with primers) in a wooden box with openings to allow some of the pressure to vent if it ignites.  It sounds counterintuitive, as one would think it is best to keep it in a tight container to keep stuff from getting to the powder.  But there some logic to this method.  I think the idea is not to make a bomb by storing powder in a metal container which could explode if the powder somehow ignited (this is my own interpretation and wording). 

I store mine in an old wood military mortar round box with some added spacing between slats.  Powder is ALWAYS in the manufacturers container.  I never leave powder in my measure after a reloading session.

Common sense prevails, imo.

1 minute ago, JustEd said:

There may be local fire ordinances or possibly restrictions if you live in an apartment,  I have never encountered any even in the Peoples Republic of Kommiefornia.

With that said, there are some guides available online as to the safe storage of powder.  In particular powder should be stored by itself (not with primers) in a wooden box with openings to allow some of the pressure to vent if it ignites.  It sounds counterintuitive, as one would think it is best to keep it in a tight container to keep stuff from getting to the powder.  But there some logic to this method.  I think the idea is not to make a bomb by storing powder in a metal container which could explode if the powder somehow ignited (this is my own interpretation and wording). 

I store mine in an old wood military mortar round box with some added spacing between slats.  Powder is ALWAYS in the manufacturers container.  I never leave powder in my measure after a reloading session.

Common sense prevails, imo.

Before you type out a negative response, kindly grant me adequate notice so I can don my flame retardant suit 😄

• 4 weeks later...