Tennessee spent nearly $1B on underperforming schools program

bobsguns

Tennessee spent nearly $1B on underperforming schools program, data shows it's not working

Story

The latest data from the Department of Education shows each of the four schools report less than five percent of students performing at grade level. ASD as a whole reports just 4.5 percent of students performing at grade level.

Think about that. Out of a 100 kids in these schools, only 4-5 can read at grade level. 4 or 5. And this is not the "grade level" of generations gone by, this is the "new & improved" grade level reading. What kind of life are the other 96% going to live? Drug dealing? Stealing? Having 6-7-8 kids with no job?

Why isn't the media ALL over this? Where's the shame of society failing these kids? (By society, I mean politicians, the media & local churches.)

That’s lower than Shelby County schools, with 11 percent of students testing at grade level.

Why is this tolerated? Why isn't the Memphis/Shelby Co mayors raising hell about this stat? How in gods name can a child be expected to fill out a job application if they can't read & write? How can they read instructions on running a piece of machinery if they can't read or write properly? How can they acquire a driving license if they can't read the test? Balance a check book? Pass a technical school?

Why aren't there protests & marches demanding a better society for these kids?

12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I think politics is a verboten topic here. Tread carefully.

This isn't politics as I see it. Fault doesn't lean on one party in particular. This has been a mess over both parties being governor's & their Dept of Ed chiefs. Nothing changes regardless of which party is  in charge. Neither party has grabbed the bull by the horns.

• Like 1

Agree with what you've said.

At the risk of coming off as a jerk, do you attend school board meetings? Why not run for local office, heck, they're usually unopposed positions! Recently re-fi our house, and the mortgage broker did just that b/c she was concerned about a lot of things in her grand-daughters district. Hats off to her getting off the keyboard and doing something.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Agree with what you've said.

At the risk of coming off as a jerk, do you attend school board meetings? 

No, because my county isn't getting a cool $1 bil wasted on their schools. Although I admit my local schools leave a LOT to be desired on test scores. 

Mostly because I don't have kids is why I don't get involved in school board issues. Good or bad, that's how I'm rolling.

8 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Society isn't failing these kids, their parents are.  

No argument, but isn't society failing by not holding their feet to the fire to make the kids pay attention? To make them behave? And once the kids hit 18, they're adrift with no job, no job skills, unable to read & write, so what then? I don't have an answer but the prisons are full of those former kids in Memphis.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Nikiski Dave said:

People in charge are not doing their job. Replace with people who will do the job.

It's been failing for over 30 years, across both sides of political divide. Pick a time period, it doesn't matter who was in office, it was a failure. Everyone eventually gets replaced in the Gov office, along with their cabinet. The problem still persists.

What needs to be done? What needs to happen to make the folks in charge make some changes aside from throwing ANOTHER $1 bil at it??????

I've been preaching about this for years. School isn't about education anymore. Its about pushing kids through a failed system and turning out good little drones who follow their masters orders without question and believe everything the liberal left has pumped into their poor feeble minds. People who can think for themselves are a danger to the powers that be. 🤬

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been preaching about this for years. School isn't about education anymore. Its about pushing kids through a failed system and turning out good little drones who follow their masters orders without question and believe everything the liberal left has pumped into their poor feeble minds. People who can think for themselves are a danger to the powers that be. 🤬

One of the greatest gifts I ever received was the day my history teacher Mr. Barnard got through to me and taught me to think for myself, use what God put between my ears, and form my own conclusions. I owe that man a great deal for what he has taught me. Kids today don't get that benefit very often, but there are shiny nuggets of hope from time to time.