FN Releasing a new High Power [sic] for 2022?

TGO David

4 hours ago, TGO David said:

I still want a rail for a weapon mounted light but I also think that the variety of weapon lights makes the process of finding a quality holster incredibly challenging.

Some people counter that a light on a handgun gives a perp a perfect place to aim his shot for. I tend to agree.

I also agree with the holster scarceness for a mounted light. And what if you need a light but no longer need a pistol? You willing to shine a light on a small kid who needs help, especially when said light is still attached to the gun? Lots of "uh-oh's" in there, IMO. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Being an actual FN and the fact that there were $11-1200 when discontinued, this pricing is expected. It was always going to be a premium offering. 

That's true. And I'm sure the new Hipower will sell, but just like the original, the price will keep me away. 

The improvements/changes are nice, but at close to double the price...well let's just say I can admire it anyway. The change from 15 to 17 rounds just doesn't thrill me enough to warrant it.

So at this point the SA35 is still my choice.

3 minutes ago, hipower said:

The change from 15 to 17 rounds just doesn't thrill me enough to warrant it.

The original mags were only 13rds. Did they get changed down the road to 15?

Beretta 92FS mags were only 15rds when they first hit the US. They needed to compete with the Glock 17, so they had Mec-Gar do a better designed mag for it. 

30 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Some people counter that a light on a handgun gives a perp a perfect place to aim his shot for. I tend to agree.

I also agree with the holster scarceness for a mounted light. And what if you need a light but no longer need a pistol? You willing to shine a light on a small kid who needs help, especially when said light is still attached to the gun? Lots of "uh-oh's" in there, IMO. 

Valid point on the light, Bob. It's bothered me at times as well, but not being a professional(closer to a mall ninja probably) I only have 2 weapon lights mounted. One pistol, a house gun, and one on an AR pistol.

1 minute ago, hipower said:

Valid point on the light, Bob. It's bothered me at times as well, but not being a professional(closer to a mall ninja probably) I only have 2 weapon lights mounted. One pistol, a house gun, and one on an AR pistol.

A long, long, long time ago I had a retired cop teach me some things about clearing an area, The second thing he told me (first thing was wear clothes & shoes, i.e. don't go out nekkid!) NEVER have a light on your gun, gives a perp a perfect aiming point in the dark. He said instead, hold a light out AWAY from your body & out in front of your body. That way if it does attract gun fire, it won't hit you in the torso. Everything he told me that day made perfect sense, even now 30 years later. 

I had a guy argue the light thing one time with me. I asked him if he would wear a yellow reflective vest as well as have his light on? He didn't answer me as I may have made my point with him? LOL!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

The original mags were only 13rds. Did they get changed down the road to 15?

Beretta 92FS mags were only 15rds when they first hit the US. They needed to compete with the Glock 17, so they had Mec-Gar do a better designed mag for it. 

Part of the Newness of the SA35 is the change to 15 round mags, at least that's what I see in the PR material, and the mags I ordered from Springfield are 15 rounds. Just tried to get a few before the pistol. lol

The ones I recieved are marked with the crossed cannon logo and 15 rounds. Made in Italy, and the package is marked 9mm 1911. That threw me, but they do fit in my BHPs and look pretty good.

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators
52 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

A long, long, long time ago I had a retired cop teach me some things about clearing an area, The second thing he told me (first thing was wear clothes & shoes, i.e. don't go out nekkid!) NEVER have a light on your gun, gives a perp a perfect aiming point in the dark. He said instead, hold a light out AWAY from your body & out in front of your body. That way if it does attract gun fire, it won't hit you in the torso. Everything he told me that day made perfect sense, even now 30 years later. 

I had a guy argue the light thing one time with me. I asked him if he would wear a yellow reflective vest as well as have his light on? He didn't answer me as I may have made my point with him? LOL!

I would strongly recommend getting some more training that is current from someone competent enough to give it.

i’m not going to argue or belabor the point with you. Much like the gentleman you mentioned, I realize that it wouldn’t be a fruitful or productive debate. 

but not for the reasons you think.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would strongly recommend getting some more training that is current from someone competent enough to give it.

i’m not going to argue or belabor the point with you. Much like the gentleman you mentioned, I realize that it wouldn’t be a fruitful or productive debate. 

but not for the reasons you think.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

💩

You 2 are just catching up to where I've been for a while 🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Nope, nope, nope. I don't like it one bit. Ya don't go just changing up a true classic. I think FN has screwed up big time. 🤬

I will be buying a SA-35 as soon as I can find one. But I want nothing to do with this new FN abortion. 💩

Well, I gotta say that you level-headed folks have made a great point.  I got caught up in the excitement of the new announcement and the quality that FN brings to the table.  

The BHP is a classic.  Pure and simple.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If FN wants to make a host of changes then it is just another "wonder-nine" and it doesn't excite me as much.

I'm back to waiting for my SA-35 to come available..............

thanks for the sanity check.🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

He was a former instructor at the po-po academy, not just a patrol officer. 

I realize everyone has their preferences. I, for example, carry my 1911s in Condition 2, something that sends many 1911 owners into a first class tizzy. 😝

Regardless of what method one uses for a light, there's no debate it does offer a point-of-aim to a perp. Hopefully, he'll hold his gat sideways...................  

18 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Anyone who says they don't like the way they look is nuts.  IMO.  🙂

Then I must be nuts.

Ambi slide release? I'm not left handed, why do I have to pay for that? Ambi safety? I'm not left handed, why do I have to pay for that?

Why the take-down lever? I get some people are too blanking stupid to field strip a gun, but the original method worked just fine, had no moving parts and was simplistic in it's design and operation, just as John Browning designed it. That's like touching up the Mona Lisa or adding some scenes to the Sistine Chapel, IMO. 

I get everyone has their own tastes, that's what drives the gun market, IMO. In this instance I believe someone wanted changes just to say, "Hey, LOOK at ME! I improved the Hi-Power!"

Of course, I could be wrong about all of that too. Wouldn't be the first time. Sales numbers will tell the story, as they always do.

How much is known about the innards of this new interpretation of the traditional Hi Power? There are glaring external differences that indicate this Is a significant change in the design. 

I must be nuts cause I don’t like the looks all that much.  😀 All that junk hanging of the right side is awful, as is the second hole in the business end, and all those seams around the beaver tail.

Hopefully, this will relieve some of the pressure on SA and those among us who like the old-timey style can get a shot at an affordable, yet improved, reproduction

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

I realize everyone has their preferences. I, for example, carry my 1911s in Condition 2, something that sends many 1911 owners into a first class tizzy. 😝

Regardless of what method one uses for a light, there's no debate it does offer a point-of-aim to a perp. Hopefully, he'll hold his gat sideways...................  

sure thing cool story bro GIF by Captain Obvious

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
41 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Fed Up Goodbye GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

• Haha 2
  • Administrator
36 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Then I must be nuts.

Ambi slide release? I'm not left handed, why do I have to pay for that? Ambi safety? I'm not left handed, why do I have to pay for that?

Why the take-down lever? I get some people are too blanking stupid to field strip a gun, but the original method worked just fine, had no moving parts and was simplistic in it's design and operation, just as John Browning designed it. That's like touching up the Mona Lisa or adding some scenes to the Sistine Chapel, IMO. 

I get everyone has their own tastes, that's what drives the gun market, IMO. In this instance I believe someone wanted changes just to say, "Hey, LOOK at ME! I improved the Hi-Power!"

Of course, I could be wrong about all of that too. Wouldn't be the first time. Sales numbers will tell the story, as they always do.

Don't worry.  The 2011 platform is never going to catch on either.

• Haha 1
  • Moderators

Man, the more I read about this, the less excited for it I am. It doesn’t actually seem to be a HiPower. It just looks like one. It’s not compatible with OG HiPower magazines or any of the aftermarket upgrades on the internals. It really seems to be a wholly different gun wrapped in a vaguely HP looking shell. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-high-power-series/fn-high-power-ss/

Here ya go, folks. 
Ambi controls. Easier takedown.
17rd magazine!

OG definitely returning for the throne. 

Still would have liked a rail tho. 

You see anything about being able to flip or swap the mag release button ? Kind of a pisser to have ambidextrous controls but forget about the wee lil mag button. Maybe they figure with 17 rounds ill have time to index drop it and reload lol.

8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Man, the more I read about this, the less excited for it I am. It doesn’t actually seem to be a HiPower. It just looks like one. It’s not compatible with OG HiPower magazines or any of the aftermarket upgrades on the internals. It really seems to be a wholly different gun wrapped in a vaguely HP looking shell. 

I've always just sprung for the original when it matters And while I like the attempt at new innovation and bringing back a classic unless I find one used from a disgusted new buyer the price point leaves me hunting still for new, like new, or barley used originals ive grown to love.

Opinion Imo GIF by Peloton

• Like 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

You see anything about being able to flip or swap the mag release button ? Kind of a pisser to have ambidextrous controls but forget about the wee lil mag button. Maybe they figure with 17 rounds ill have time to index drop it and reload lol.

Yeah, it is reversible. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

No need - most lefties know that dumping the mag with the trigger finger is better than reaching with their thumb.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2