FN Releasing a new High Power [sic] for 2022?

TGO David

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I never realized that the Hi-Power had such a religious following.  Apparently as much, if not more so, than the 1911.  Interesting. 😃

Oh yes. We may be a bit less uncouth, (we don’t do things like run around screaming from the top of our lungs about “two world wars!”) but we are still very passionate about what is the pinnacle of JMB’s pistol designs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
23 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Some people counter that a light on a handgun gives a perp a perfect place to aim his shot for. I tend to agree.

I also agree with the holster scarceness for a mounted light. And what if you need a light but no longer need a pistol? You willing to shine a light on a small kid who needs help, especially when said light is still attached to the gun? Lots of "uh-oh's" in there, IMO. 

So I have two thoughts.

Never, ever, ever use your weapon mounted light as a "flashlight" if you don't need the gun it's attached to.

Me personally? I'd rather a criminal take shots at my weapon mounted light in the dark than for me to shoot someone by accident that I love dearly because I couldn't see them.

On the first point, I didn't see it but my buddy swears up and down that he did. We were in South Pittsburgh, TN. My Wife was participating in a dress rehearsal at the theater (historic theater, called "The Princess" there late one night. My buddy and I were sitting up in the balcony waiting for everyone to finish up for the night. At some point two police officers enter the balcony (generally just to check on what was going on, I suppose). I did see the police offers. What I didn't see but my buddy says he did was that one of the officers removed his service weapon to use his weapon mounted light to see the dark walkway so he didn't trip.

It does happen, I don't advise it.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

So I have two thoughts.

Never, ever, ever use your weapon mounted light as a "flashlight" if you don't need the gun it's attached to.

Me personally? I'd rather a criminal take shots at my weapon mounted light in the dark than for me to shoot someone by accident that I love dearly because I couldn't see them.

On the first point, I didn't see it but my buddy swears up and down that he did. We were in South Pittsburgh, TN. My Wife was participating in a dress rehearsal at the theater (historic theater, called "The Princess" there late one night. My buddy and I were sitting up in the balcony waiting for everyone to finish up for the night. At some point two police officers enter the balcony (generally just to check on what was going on, I suppose). I did see the police offers. What I didn't see but my buddy says he did was that one of the officers removed his service weapon to use his weapon mounted light to see the dark walkway so he didn't trip.

It does happen, I don't advise it.

These are great points and handled in good training. A handheld flashlight and a wml aren’t an either or situation. They’re complimentary and one should have both. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, TGO David said:

Here's another photo of the new FN.  As usual, click it for a higher resolution look at them.

gv9ddljq6ic81.jpg

PS: Anyone who says they don't like the way they look is nuts.  IMO.  🙂

I cannot argue about the look. It is a great looking pistol form. No doubt about it. But...it ain't your pappy's Hipower!

6 hours ago, TGO David said:

I never realized that the Hi-Power had such a religious following.  Apparently as much, if not more so, than the 1911.  Interesting. 😃

Oh yes, the Disciples  of JMB are a quite dedicated bunch. Even though it was the Master's Padawan who had to finish it, the Hi-Power is considered JMB's crowning achievement in pistols. 🙏

What I want to know is how the Hell do ya make an all steel gun look like a piece of cheap plastic? I mean look at that ugly thing. The frame looks like something molded from poop.  💩

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Oh yes, the Disciples  of JMB are a quite dedicated bunch. Even though it was the Master's Padawan who had to finish it, the Hi-Power is considered JMB's crowning achievement in pistols. 🙏

What I want to know is how the Hell do ya make an all steel gun look like a piece of cheap plastic? I mean look at that ugly thing. The frame looks like something molded from poop.  💩

While I have bowed once or twice in the direction of JMB's museum, and have made several comments on this thread about the NEW HIPOWER, I do begin to find it more and more attractive. 😱

Not the ceracoted one, that looks like a puke-pile from a cat. However, I do find that (Satin?) Stainless model and the DEEP DEEP Blue model making bad thoughts come to mind.  

Like you and others, I'm not sure I would call it a HIPOWER. Maybe Hipower influenced FN something. Give it a catchy new name and some of us might just think of dropping coin on one.

Every time I think of selling one of mine...I see that beautiful finish, the feel of it in my hand, and the pleasure I get from shooting one. I have sold only 1 BHP in my shooting life. It was a very big mistake! Darn you Smith and Magic!!

And I grant you that nostalgia has a part in it as well. I learned about BHPs and P38s from my DAD, rest his soul. He loved them both. Spoke very highly of them, but he was a dyed-in-the-smokie from the barrel, 1911 Man. That was to him the best pistol ever. Yeah, that's debatable from many, but was his competition gun and favorite shooter.

Smith&Wesson did come in a very close second though.  

Edited by hipower
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I don’t know but FN did a fine job of it.

I've been thinking about this and realize that my whole objection to this thing is its name. It is NOT a Hi-Power. Not even close. I feel downright insulted that FN would call it that.  But because they did, I felt obligated to nit pick it to death. Which actually wasn't too hard to do. 😉

I do believe that if they had called it anything else, I just might like this gun. It does seem to be  well made.  Not like it enough to buy one, but at least I probably wouldn't hate it.  🙄

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've been thinking about this and realize that my whole objection to this thing is its name. It is NOT a Hi-Power. Not even close. I feel downright insulted that FN would call it that.  But because they did, I felt obligated to nit pick it to death. Which actually wasn't too hard to do. 😉

I do believe that if they had called it anything else, I just might like this gun. It does seem to be  well made.  Not like it enough to buy one, but at least I probably wouldn't hate it.  🙄

FN is not calling it a Hi-Power, they’re calling it High Power.  There is a reason for that.

Curiously, High Power is FN’s original name when they first produced the thing, or “Grande Puissance”, meaning great power of you want.

The history of “JMB’s last and greatest design” is maddening.  I just want an SA-35!

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Well I'll be damned! I hadn't even noticed that. 🤔 People have spelled it both ways for many years. 

Oh well, just spelling. We all know what they mean. Still trying to trick people with a classic name on a pigs ear. Marketing at its finest.  🙄

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Certainly good advice there.

I was taught to carry the flashlight out, away and forward of one's body. Keeps the light away from one's torso & (hopefully) keepsone from getting hit should the perp take a shot at the light. Make much, much more tactical sense than using one on one's pistol, IMO. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Tell us how you really feel! 😂

5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Well I'll be damned! I hadn't even noticed that. 🤔 People have spelled it both ways for many years. 

Oh well, just spelling. We all know what they mean. Still trying to trick people with a classic name on a pigs ear. Marketing at its finest.  🙄

You know...Garufa caught that and we BHP guys didn't. But that's right. The spelling was changed at some point. Why? Don't know. But both HI and HIGH have been used in an almost interchangeable manner.

As when I chose my ID for online use, I considered both ways, but decided on hipower in lower case. Just seemed right to me.

Same with JMB's progeny, I have always preferred Hipower. That it is, and always will be THE name to me.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1