FN Releasing a new High Power [sic] for 2022?

TGO David

I have two with rails. I didn't buy them for the rail, they just came that way.  One does have a light on it and serves as my "house" gun. I'd never carry it as the light makes it bulky and awkward. Honestly, I prefer the light being separate from the pistol. But I do have it so what the hell? 

tWlkrZy.jpg

And once again a thread has been sidetracked from its original point by a completely unrelated discussion.  Seems to be a bad habit around here. 🙄 Can we please just get back to bashing FN's new monstrosity? 

IT AIN'T A HI-POWER!  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have two with rails. I didn't buy them for the rail, they just came that way.  One does have a light on it and serves as my "house" gun. I'd never carry it as the light makes it bulky and awkward. Honestly, I prefer the light being separate from the pistol. But I do have it so what the hell? 

tWlkrZy.jpg

And once again a thread has been sidetracked from its original point by a completely unrelated discussion.  Seems to be a bad habit around here. 🙄 Can we please just get back to bashing FN's new monstrosity? 

IT AIN'T A HI-POWER!  🙄

Nope. It’s a Lie-Power. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 11 months later...

I wanted to bump this thread now that the new FN High Power is starting to hit the streets.   My FFL managed to track down a couple at his distributor and I bought the FDE version.  Price was near $1100.  Mine came with plastic FDE grip panels installed, a spare pair of OD green grips, two 17 round mags, and a carrying case.

The first thing you notice picking it up is that it doesn't feel much like a High Power.  The grip feels longer, front-to-back, and flatter on the sides than the traditional BHP which has a real wasp waist shape by comparison.   The trigger is very nice, mine breaks right at 4 pounds.  The reset is shorter and crisper than any BHP trigger I have.  

The sights are serrated black and are easy to acquire and align.   The thumb safety is ambi and much like the later BHP safeties, except crisper snapping on or off ( though still too light IMO ) and easier to get underneath to activate.   

Shooting was pleasant.  I put about 100 rounds through it in a short range session.  I had about two or three instances of premature slide lock with rounds in the mag, and I realized I was inducing it by accidentally pressing down on the forward end of the slide stop with a thumbs-forward grip.    If you shoot with high thumbs pressed against the frame, you'll have to remember not to do it with this gun (or the front of the slide stop could be trimmed to remove the largely useless forward end, or replaced with an aftermarket part).

Function was good otherwise and recoil was softer than in a traditional BHP.   Accuracy was excellent, every bit as good as any other BHP I ever owned, and sights were very close to right on for my 124gr handloads.  Hammer bite was nonexistent and not even close to happening from what I could tell, due to the rather small hammer spur and overall grip shape.

Rapid reloads are a bit easier than on traditional BHPs because the new magazine design isn't as square as the old magazines.   It's closer to a Beretta 92 or SIG P226 in shape. In fact, Beretta 92 mags will fit very nicely in the HP but won't lock in.

I'm pleased with the redesign and look forward to spending a lot more time at the range with this one.

fn-hp1.jpg

fn-hp2.jpg

• Like 7
2 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I wanted to bump this thread now that the new FN High Power is starting to hit the streets.   My FFL managed to track down a couple at his distributor and I bought the FDE version.  Price was near $1100.  Mine came with plastic FDE grip panels installed, a spare pair of OD green grips, two 17 round mags, and a carrying case.

The first thing you notice picking it up is that it doesn't feel much like a High Power.  The grip feels longer, front-to-back, and flatter on the sides than the traditional BHP which has a real wasp waist shape by comparison.   The trigger is very nice, mine breaks right at 4 pounds.  The reset is shorter and crisper than any BHP trigger I have.  

The sights are serrated black and are easy to acquire and align.   The thumb safety is ambi and much like the later BHP safeties, except crisper snapping on or off ( though still too light IMO ) and easier to get underneath to activate.   

Shooting was pleasant.  I put about 100 rounds through it in a short range session.  I had about two or three instances of premature slide lock with rounds in the mag, and I realized I was inducing it by accidentally pressing down on the forward end of the slide stop with a thumbs-forward grip.    If you shoot with high thumbs pressed against the frame, you'll have to remember not to do it with this gun (or the front of the slide stop could be trimmed to remove the largely useless forward end, or replaced with an aftermarket part).

Function was good otherwise and recoil was softer than in a traditional BHP.   Accuracy was excellent, every bit as good as any other BHP I ever owned, and sights were very close to right on for my 124gr handloads.  Hammer bite was nonexistent and not even close to happening from what I could tell, due to the rather small hammer spur and overall grip shape.

Rapid reloads are a bit easier than on traditional BHPs because the new magazine design isn't as square as the old magazines.   It's closer to a Beretta 92 or SIG P226 in shape. In fact, Beretta 92 mags will fit very nicely in the HP but won't lock in.

I'm pleased with the redesign and look forward to spending a lot more time at the range with this one.

fn-hp1.jpg

fn-hp2.jpg

Very much appreciate your comments on the FN HiPower. I'm really wanting the Springfield version, the SA35, at this point; but being the person that I am...I wouldn't rule out trying to acquire the FN as well. Funds a little tight at the moment, but I did foolishly buy the Girsan version last week. I haven't gotten the opportunity to fire it yet, but hope to very soon. I'll pass along my impressions when I do. BTW, I got the FDE model as well. Purchased from CDNN. Then they serve up the really nice looking version with better sights and VZ grips!

Always something better AFTER you make a buy!

• Like 1

I recently picked up a Springfield SA 35 as well as a Girsan MC P35 Ops. 

The SA 35 has minimal but important improvements such as a good trigger, good sights, and an extended safety lever you can easily get ahold of and manipulate.  The grips aren't the prettiest but they are contoured (unlike the flat panel traditional BHP grips) and quite comfortable.

The Girsan has more design updates, adding a beavertail, light rail, straight trigger (which I find far more comfortable than the curved standard trigger), good visible and adjustable sights, aggressive G10 grips, and a modestly flared magwell.

But the SA 35 comes out ahead on the trigger, mine measures at 4.5 # and is pretty smooth out of the box except for a slight false break that will likely go away with more use.   The sights are right on for me and it's easy to see it shoots tightly.

The Girsan has a trigger measuring just over 7 # and was hitting a good bit left for me, so I had to crank the sights over.   I haven't yet sat down and tried to wring the best groups I can out of it, but I am certain the 7# trigger isn't doing it any favors.  I tend to push left when I have a hard trigger to work with, so I'm willing to bet it would shoot straighter for me once the trigger is lightened up.

Both have some sharp edges, the Springfield more so.   There's a real risk of cutting yourself on the ejection port edge, the safety lever is not as comfortable as it could be, and I'd love to see a mild carry melt done to it.

Both guns cost me about $650.   If I could own just one?   Right now it'd be the SA 35 because it is more like a High Power and more pleasant to shoot.

• Like 3

Thanks for the review. 👍

I did acquire a SA-35 and am very happy with it. 😃

The Girsan has caught my interest. When I see one in person, I may get it just for S&G. 😉

I still have no interest in the new FN thing.  But would like to see one just out of curiosity. 🙄

• Like 1

I've owned 2 FN High-Powers over the last 45 years. Frankly, I didn't care for them. It wasn't the looks as the bluing was beautiful - it was the terrible trigger and magazine disconnect and the sights were little better than nothing. Even circumventing the md didn't make it noticeably better or smooth. I likened it to a beautiful woman gorgeous on the outside but internally ravished by disease.

Sold them and never looked back. But about 20 years ago I bought the FEG HP clone for a very low price in a trade deal, decided to worked on it, got it to feed hollow-points reliably, did some trigger system polishing, and reduced the trigger pull and crunchiness considerably.

While it's not and never has been my primary carry, on long-distance car trips I'll keep it under a jacket in the passenger seat as a New York reload. Still not thrilled with the sights, but as a high-capacity back-up in the car it's fine.

I'm anxious to see the new ones to see if the trigger is better. 

But I am wondering why they've been reintroduced. Nostalgia, perhaps. But with the number of quality DA and SA pistols available where does it fit?

Not a put down at all, just curious.

Edited by crc4
2 hours ago, crc4 said:

But I am wondering why they've been reintroduced.

Name recognition. The original simply got too expensive to build in today's snap together world. FN couldn't sell  real HPs at a reasonable price and make a profit anymore. This new version is CNC, molded parts and slap it together like many guns these days. But they gave it a classic name so it would sell.   Its not a reintroduction, its a fake.  🤬

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

I think it was more about FN having a metal framed 9mm to compete with similar offerings from the competition.  Their FN 509 based polymer striker guns leave something to be desired IMO and they weren't exactly blowing their competitors off the road.  I've owned several and I would rather shoot the new High Power than any of them.

I'm also glad they took the opportunity to redesign it from the ground up and modernize it. 

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Thanks for the review. 👍

I did acquire a SA-35 and am very happy with it. 😃

The Girsan has caught my interest. When I see one in person, I may get it just for S&G. 😉

I still have no interest in the new FN thing.  But would like to see one just out of curiosity. 🙄

I'm much like Grayfox on this.  I have my SA-35 and love it.  I doubt I will get the other two as I believe the SA to be closer to the original Hi Power.

Just now, Grayfox54 said:

Just to be clear, I have nothing against the quality of FN's new pistol. By all accounts is a fine gun. My objection is with them calling it a High Power. That it AIN'T ! 🤬

I need to try one of the new High-Powers that's not an FN then. I'd heard a review about the other clones, but not one about the FN. 

11 hours ago, Garufa said:

It really doesn't.

I stand corrected sir. Looking at pics, I remember there was a model that was different from my 1980's Hi Power that had a safety like the new FN, and the Girsan has it too. I thought it was the Inglis.