Grandson/Granddaughter Guns

My grandson called me tonight and told me he and his sister went hunting today with a school mate. They harvested a squirrel and a dove. They are cleaning them and his mother is going to cook them for the kids and his friend.

He said his friend goes to school with him and his father has a farm in the Charleston S Carolina area. I gave Parker a Mossberg 20 Ga pump and Chloe a Ruger10 22 rifle. Parker is 13 and his sister is 11, but very small. She can out shoot Parker. 

His friend could not believe the guns Parker has which I gave him and his sister. Son-in-law said the friend is eat up with hunting and fishing so it is my hope Parker and Chloe will gain a greater appreciation for the shooting and hunting thing.   

Their dads took them out today and spent 6 hours out with them. Parker's dad said ammo was really expensive. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT!  Maybe SIL will appreciate what I gave them last year.  I have another load of guns I am going to take to them next month. Giving my guns away, to my grandchildren, before I pass on. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Son-In-Law face-timed me last evening wanting to know how to properly clean his Ruger 10 22, and the Mossberg 20 ga after they shot them. Said it was the first time he ever cleaned a firearm. He had purchased a combination cleaning kit. I talked him through it and we got them cleaned and oiled. Hope to go visit them next month and will go purchase them my cleaning stuff, because I like copper brushes soaked in Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, first through the barrels, and gun oil instead of the red combo gunk he had in his kit. He also needs some patches because one does not spare them when cleaning. His kit only had 5 shotgun patches and 10 rifle/pistol patches. Old school Hoppes' can't be beat, IMO, and a good wipe down on the gun metal surfaces with the oil. I also like to clean and lube all moving parts and lightly oil them. Love the smell of the Hoppe's although they have tamed it somewhat in new stuff. 

SIL and daughter lives in the Charleston S Carolina area and close to the beach. Salt air is hard on guns. I told him we will run a patch through all his guns and reoil them because of the salt air. At times your windshield will have a white film from the air down there, so salt is a problem with his guns. 

I am going to have grandson and granddaughter to help me when I go through yearly cleaning his gun collection because they need to know how to properly clean their guns. I just hope they can get to keep them in their lifetime. I also want to inspect the guns to make sure yearly cleaning will preserve them in the salty air conditions.  I never personally took care of guns there. Their dad is pretty sold on keeping the collection in good shape, which I am totally glad. He really takes excellent care of his boat which is a job when putting it in salt water like they do.  

One wants care taken with such gifts which one passes on the the next generation so I figured I need to teach them good care skills. "Train them in the ways they shall go." What parents and grandparents need to do, IS IT NOT? 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 7:59 AM, pop pop said:

Hope to go visit them next month and will go purchase them my cleaning stuff, because I like copper brushes soaked in Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner, first through the barrels, and gun oil instead of the red combo gunk he had in his kit. He also needs some patches because one does not spare them when cleaning. His kit only had 5 shotgun patches and 10 rifle/pistol patches. Old school Hoppes' can't be beat, IMO, and a good wipe down on the gun metal surfaces with the oil. I also like to clean and lube all moving parts and lightly oil them. Love the smell of the Hoppe's although they have tamed it somewhat in new stuff. 

Hoppes fan forever! lol. Although I use Balistol and similar products for a light cleaning, Hoppes is for the big time cleaning. I am banned from using it in or near the house. My wife hates the smell of it.

I have to go outside to use it, and usually change my clothes afterwards. I mean she REALLY HATES the stuff!

• Like 1