Meet the New Hi-Power Cousins!

Moped

The renewed interest in the old Browning Hi-Power has taken the gun world by storm the last several months! Thought I’d post the links to these three new cousins to this famous pistol. The list is from most prestigious and highest cost, to the lesser known and lowest cost version. All of these have been announced in the last couple of months and should start showing up very soon at our LGS around the state. 

First up and most expensive, the FN, Hi-Power royalty!

https://fnamerica.com/highpower/

Next up it’s North American Cousin, the SA35, from Springfield Armory!

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/sa-35-9mm-handgun/

Last, but not least, the Step Cousin of the fabled Hi-Power, the EAA/Girsan MC-P35!

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

• Thanks 1

You're runnin' a little late there Dude. The SA-35 has already been discussed quite well. There's currently a thread bashing the brains out of the new FN. The Girsan has been mentioned, but is kinda background player. 

The Hi-Power is one of the most copied pistols in the world. Its been standard issue in more Armies than any other pistol ever made. There are millions of 'em out there made by more companies than I can remember. I don't think interest ever really faded. 😉

• Haha 1
On 1/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, Moped said:

Last, but not least, the Step Cousin of the fabled Hi-Power, the EAA/Girsan MC-P35!

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

The link you provide shows it to have a 3 star out of five rating from customers. Not exactly inspiring, IMO. 

Given this one's low rating, the high price, ugly design & deviation from the original on the FN model, the SA model seems to be the no-brainer choice on the market. 

No one ever accused SA of being stupid.

5 hours ago, bobsguns said:

The link you provide shows it to have a 3 star out of five rating from customers. Not exactly inspiring, IMO. 

Given this one's low rating, the high price, ugly design & deviation from the original on the FN model, the SA model seems to be the no-brainer choice on the market. 

No one ever accused SA of being stupid.

You should read the comments before you judge. There are only two.  One was an owner who loved the gun and the other asked if it still had the magazine disconnect like the original and gave it a one star rating.  Hardly a fair judgement IMO.

Here's a copy and paste of the reviews, taken from their website.

Edit: This would have been the perfect spot for that IGNORE BUTTON you wanted over the other thread.

2 reviews for Girsan MCP35

1. Rated 5 out of 5

Richard Chambers  December 16, 2021

Just Got this wonderful pistol today and it is a gr8 shooter I run 90 rounds out of it and it performed flawlessly.It took me me afew shots to see how it was sighted but it grouped very well After I got used to it . The trigger is crisp with very little creep before the breakand the reset is awesome.And I tell you this I have a Glock 17 very good gun but this to me is better just saying.Got a very low production number too number 36. for the shipping I tired to get my free holster it gave me a number to write down but damn if I can’t figure where to go to pay for the shipping and handling of it>

2. Rated 1 out of 5

CliffO ONeal  January 3, 2022

Does this handgun have a magazine disconnect like the original?

• admin  January 6, 2022

Correct, it features a magazine disconnect

Edited by Moped
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting the links....I had missed the discussion of FN's revival....to me its the best of the 3 if I wanted an older hi power(which i have 2) with all the joys and irritances i'd just buy another old one.  It appears they have thoroughly modernized everything that needed to be adjusted.  I like how they say "robust 40oz" pistol....a nice way of saying this f*cker is heavy as sh*t.  

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Moped said:

You should read the comments before you judge. There are only two.  One was an owner who loved the gun and the other asked if it still had the magazine disconnect like the original and gave it a one star rating.  Hardly a fair judgement IMO.

I admit to not reading the reviews. I only looked at the star ratings. 

When buying something on-line I will often read the one-star ratings just to see what they say. 

But shouldn't this gun have more than only two ratings? Seems odd to me. 

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The Girsans are still new and haven't become widely available yet. So there are few reviews out there.

I wasn't aware of them until I saw this thread. I've seen their Beretta copies & they weren't awful or anything. Slightly unrefined but their price reflected that, so it wasn't like they were overpriced, IMO. 

A quick look in GB showed none of their HP's were listed, so you must be spot-on about their availability. I too am going to wait for a SA model to find me. I've already got two spare mags & grip screws for new G10 style grips. Haven't gotten the grips yet though.