Walther Revises Their Optics Cut on New PDP Pro SD

TGO David

• Administrator

2022-01-18 Walther PDP  Pro SD Revised Optics Cut.png

First Generation (aka "Old") slide on left.  Second Generation (aka "New") slide on right.

In a move that has set Walther owners groups afire on social media, Walther has revised the optics cut on their new PDP Pro SD model, inspiring owners of first-generation PDPs to wonder if this is just a public relations move meant to smooth over hobbyist accusations that the previous design was flawed, or if it is a silent acknowledgement that the previous design really was flawed after all.

The new optics cut is dimensionally the same as the first-generation, however instead of having a flat floor beneath the mounting plate and relying solely on interference fit and two screws to hold the optics plate and optic in places, the new design introduces recessed "recoil bossses" into which protrusions from new design optics plates will sit.

It would appear that first-generation optics plates will be forward compatible with the second-generation PDP slides, but the reverse will not be true.  Obviously, if second-generation plates have recoil posts descending from beneath them to fit into these recessed pockets on the new slides, then those second-generation plates would not be backward compatible with the flat, smooth floor of the first-generation slides.  It remains to be seen if Walther or third-parties, such as C&H or other machinists, will be able to retrofit the first-generation slides for compatibility.

All of this seems to tie back to a very controversial YouTube video made by an amateur engineer wannabe, posted last year.  You can see it here.

And of course, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the extremely reputable Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics did his own torture test of the first-generation PDP and found absolutely NO MERIT to the previous YouTuber's claims.   I know that if I have to pick who I am going to trust between these two, it is Aaron.  And physics.  And Aaron understands physics.

You can see Aaron's video here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

2022-01-18 Walther PDP  Pro SD Revised Optics Cut.png

First Generation (aka "Old") slide on left.  Second Generation (aka "New") slide on right.

In a move that has set Walther owners groups afire on social media, Walther has revised the optics cut on their new PDP Pro SD model, inspiring owners of first-generation PDPs to wonder if this is just a public relations move meant to smooth over hobbyist accusations that the previous design was flawed, or if it is a silent acknowledgement that the previous design really was flawed after all.

The new optics cut is dimensionally the same as the first-generation, however instead of having a flat floor beneath the mounting plate and relying solely on interference fit and two screws to hold the optics plate and optic in places, the new design introduces recessed "recoil bossses" into which protrusions from new design optics plates will sit.

It would appear that first-generation optics plates will be forward compatible with the second-generation PDP slides, but the reverse will not be true.  Obviously, if second-generation plates have recoil posts descending from beneath them to fit into these recessed pockets on the new slides, then those second-generation plates would not be backward compatible with the flat, smooth floor of the first-generation slides.  It remains to be seen if Walther or third-parties, such as C&H Precision Words or other machinists, will be able to retrofit the first-generation slides for compatibility.

All of this seems to tie back to a very controversial YouTube video made by an amateur engineer wannabe, posted last year.  You can see it here.

And of course, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the extremely reputable Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics did his own torture test of the first-generation PDP and found absolutely NO MERIT to the previous YouTuber's claims.   I know that if I have to pick who I am going to trust between these two, it is Aaron.  And physics.  And Aaron understands physics.

You can see Aaron's video here.

I watched this on YouTube  first video guy seemed very sure  had not seen  the second one  time will tell  I like the gun a lot but would run  regular sights for now 

Two points, I don't know that I heard mentioned. At least I don't think so.

One, does the CH Precision plate do anything to mitigate the issue on the slide with respect to gaps and movement? Two, does the aftermarket milling for optics make a difference here?

First, I believe Walther will stand behind any issues that arise. Second, strange that they went from the RSMc cut with 4 mounting posts, to a flat plate, back to the Gen 2 setup.

I have the RSMc setup with the 4 posts, it locks in tight. If you want to go with the 407c sight, you have to remove the rear posts & mill down the front to fit. Why not just leave well enough alone?

• Administrator
4 hours ago, hipower said:

Two points, I don't know that I heard mentioned. At least I don't think so.

One, does the CH Precision plate do anything to mitigate the issue on the slide with respect to gaps and movement? Two, does the aftermarket milling for optics make a difference here?

The CHPWS plate on mine fits nice and tight.  The forces that an optic are exposed to under reciprocation of the slide are not lateral.  They are fore and aft.  The slide pocket does a fine job of controlling movement those directions.

Watch the Sage Dynamics video.

4 hours ago, hipower said:

Another thought...will Walther stand behind these should we have a breakage issue? Seem like they would/should.

What are you asking them to warranty?  The slide isn't likely to break.  A screw might, but I guess they'd remove the screw and replace it if that happens.  I doubt they would stand behind any damage to your optic, or to your person if the optic somehow came loose and turned you into a pirate.  🙂

MV5BNWZkMDM0OWItNTBlNC00Y2YzLWFlODctZjQ2

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TGO David said:

The CHPWS plate on mine fits nice and tight.  The forces that an optic are exposed to under reciprocation of the slide are not lateral.  They are fore and aft.  The slide pocket does a fine job of controlling movement those directions.

Watch the Sage Dynamics video.

What are you asking them to warranty?  The slide isn't likely to break.  A screw might, but I guess they'd remove the screw and replace it if that happens.  I doubt they would stand behind any damage to your optic, or to your person if the optic somehow came loose and turned you into a pirate.  🙂

MV5BNWZkMDM0OWItNTBlNC00Y2YzLWFlODctZjQ2

Good clarification. I think I was thinking of breakage of the Walther optics plate and possible optics damage. Does seem if a factory plate should break and cause damage to an optic that might be a liability issue. But that's just my thoughts.

Now to the other point of the CHPWS plate, I have recently received one, but haven't installed yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Good clarification. I think I was thinking of breakage of the Walther optics plate and possible options damage. Does seem if a factory plate should break and cause damage to an optic that might be a liability issue. But that's just my thoughts.

Now to the other point of the CHPWS plate, I have recently received one, but haven't installed yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I do think I'd rather the CHPWS plate over the diecast Walther plate, though.  It sounds like you have one, so I'd give that a whirl and forego any of the factory Walther stuff.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...