Something I've never seen before

bobsguns

I've been involved in the gun business one way or another for over 30 years. I was privileged to learn a lot from the late George Crouse, who sold mostly European rifles and shotguns at the old Pope & Goodman gun shows. I've seen hundreds of guns come into play for working up a trade one way or another. I've worked TN gun shows from Memphis to Morristown and almost every stop in between. Big towns, small towns. I'd thought I'd seen everything there is to see regarding something that goes bang. I've even held the very rare Whitney Wolverine and a two-position rifle.

While cruising through Gun Broker I submitted a bid on a H&K H4 in .22LR caliber. Of course the system laughed and rejected my pitiful bid immediately. As I sometimes do, I went to the button to "see seller's other listings". Scrolling through there I saw this never-been-seen-before-to-me revolver.

It's in .38spl and it's Italian made, of course. (They & the French build the weirdest things, IMO.) Current bid on GB is over $2K, so apparently the value & quality are there. I guess it helps it's in a common caliber & not some eclectic Euro caliber that no one makes ammo for in the US.

If anyone has held one, I'd be interested in hearing about it. It appears to be well-made and smooth looking despite the oddity of its appearance.

The Mateba MRT-8 .38spl.

MATEBA MRT-8 38 SPECIAL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Wow, that looks interesting! Too rich for me, but still interesting. I wonder how the firing mechanism works....

Looks like there are a couple of YouTube videos featuring this revolver. Gonna check them out.

This is a pretty good, quick discussion of the revolver:    

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1

Never owned one but it's a widely known name in the handgun collector community. Most notably for their "auto revolver" which was basically a pre Chiappa Rhino but 20x as rare and valuable. Sadly a "want list" gun I'll never acquire.

MatebaAutoRevolver6in.jpg

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 2

If you aren't familiar with the oddities of Mateba, you weren't THAT involved in the gun business.  Sitting behind a counter in a typical fudd shop ain't gonna show you much of anything. 

Mateba made some really interesting and unique designs.   It's worth researching companies like Mateba and Manurhin and Pardini and other foreign companies from the 20th century.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
10 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

If you aren't familiar with the oddities of Mateba, you weren't THAT involved in the gun business.  Sitting behind a counter in a typical fudd shop ain't gonna show you much of anything. 

As usual, you have NO clue what you're talking about.

This site really needs an "ignore" button. 

how stupid can one be.jpg

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
7 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

At the risk of coming off as an even bigger dick than the two of you, allow me to share some mothers  wisdom:

If you've got nothing nice to say, shut the fck up!

Relax man.... It's called putting a lil humor in before it goes tits up. Sorta breaks an argument before it happens. By you saying this makes it worse.

6 minutes ago, BHunted said:

Relax man.... It's called putting a lil humor in before it goes tits up. Sorta breaks an argument before it happens. By you saying this makes it worse.

With all due respect... Its just two guys taking personal jabs at each other. Pointless, not germain to the discussion, and benefits nobody.

Pointing out the rude behaviour is intended to curb it.

FWIW, I thought the toes joke was funny, not what I'm talking about....

Edited by ReeferMac
Toes joke
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
On 1/21/2022 at 6:16 AM, bobsguns said:

This site really needs an "ignore" button. 

We have an Ignore Feature.  It's found under your user control panel.

Ignored Users - TNGunOwners.com

You can also hover over a person's name in the information about their post (their name, location, etc.) and choose Ignore from a menu that pops up there.

Just note that you can't ignore Staff (Administrators or Moderators) or our Vendors.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

For what it's worth, I've been around guns my entire life.  When I was a kid I devoured gun magazines and gun books like candy.  The Mateba is a new one for me.  🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's just me that loves the odd, unusual, crappy, strange stuff out there. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Maybe it's just me that loves the odd, unusual, crappy, strange stuff out there. 

Ian from Forgotten weapons has a very successful YouTube channel built on that very subject so I don’t think you’re all alone there. 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2022 at 7:54 AM, ReeferMac said:

At the risk of coming off as an even bigger dick than the two of you, allow me to share some mothers  wisdom:

If you've got nothing nice to say, shut the fck up!

Sir, I have never met your Mother, but she is a wise lady and I try to apply that to my life. 🙂

• Haha 1