New to Blount County - Auto Insurance Recommendations?

22lr

Recent transplant / refugee to Blount County, TN and am wondering if there are any recommendations out there on how to line up auto insurance. Go straight to the insurance companies? Insurance brokers? Any recommendations would help. 
Thank you. 

4 hours ago, 22lr said:

No, I previously used a broker and I don't think she does out of state policies

Ah.  I've been happy with State Farm. My original agent was a family friend, but he passed a couple years ago. My current agent is a guy in Clinton whose name I can't remember. 

• Like 1

I started with State Farm. Switched to Tennessee Farm Bureau about 20 years ago. They have the lowest rates that I have found. I have had three or four claims over the years, Both auto and homeowners. They paid them all quickly.

• Like 1

I was with an independent agent till moving to TN and had planned to continue with one down here but all the small companies the independent brokers represented had a problem with our house because you could not see it from the road and no neighbors could see it. Our old house was the same way and they didn't have a problem (different state). None of the large companies had a problem so I went with Farm Bureau because I wanted all my insurance with one company/agent. Been with them over 6 years now and have been happy with them.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2022 at 3:51 AM, bobsguns said:

I found my best rates with Shelter Ins. They also have agents all over TN.

State Farm gave me the highest quote out of about 4-5 companies. Wasn't impressed.

That was my experience too. I had been giving them money for 35 years before moving here. With Progressive now.

11 hours ago, bobsguns said:

They will drop you like a hot rock if you file a claim with them, I've heard.

Didn't happen when my roof was replaced a few years ago. 

But getting dropped is pretty common. Insurance companies have learned that they can't afford to insure a large percentage of people in any one area.  If a big storm blows through, they need to minimize the impact to their bottom line. 

All-State insurance learned this the hard way in 1992 with hurricane Andrew. It wiped out central Florida and All-State insured a lot of those people.  I worked for Sears, who owned All-State then. I recall the meeting with the regional manager saying that was the first time ever that Sears was going to post a loss for the year.  Sears never recovered. 

Have had Allstate for decades.  Whenever I respond to one of those, "will save you $$$" advertisements they don't. 

My agent is in West Knoxville.  There is one is Sevierville which I have not dealt with, possibly others.  I do like being able to go visit your agents office and have things explained to you.

• 2 weeks later...