Jackson Gun Show Jan 22-23

On 1/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I saw some nice stuff that caught my interest. Just wasn't willing to pay the crazy prices they were asking. 🙄

Ammo seems to be in good supply. But prices are still high. 

Basically, the stuff is out there IF you're willing to pay the price. 🙄

baby steps. ammo won't return to pre-pandemic prices, the execs have said that outright.

I agree with you on the pricing, papa. Take 9mm for example. 2/3 years ago, we could pick and choose brands and see cases regularly for 250 or less, sometimes with shipping included.

Since then, 600 has pretty much been case price. Recently I've seen some decent import 9 for around the 300 mark, but not for any long periods. Just a quick sale on most and it's gone quickly. I know I've bought a little when I see it. But not enough. lol

The "quality" stuff we've all bought for years is still, for the most part that I see, in the 450+ ranges. Add in the high end "defensive" ammo and specialty rounds and the costs are downright astronomical by the "old days" standards.

Regardless of what manufacturers and distributors tell us, I see 3 factors that are responsible for the current situation.

One is the materials shortage and the sourcing of it for products. That in itself will add 10/20% to pricing, or so I've read and been told. Add in all the additional few cents for each person who handles it until it gets to us as buyers/consumers, and we have price increases that seem to be relatively stable and not decreasing much.

Number two...the real culprit many say, is that the huge increase in firearms sales have had an impact on the availability to buyers across the nation. More guns sold. More buyers for ammo. Supplies don't sit on shelves as long as they once did. I know there are seeming exceptions to that. We even see posts here saying that some places have large amounts on their shelves. Academy is one example.

Number three. Manufacturers and sellers see opportunity in this market to increase prices to see what the "sweet spot" for pricing is. As long as it sells at these higher prices...there's not much incentive or reason to lower them. We are a "captive audience" so to speak. We want to shoot, then we have to buy.

That's my take on it. I'm sure there are other influencing factors, but I think this is a good start. jmo 

Edited by hipower
  • Thanks 1