Legislative Session is upon us.

The second half of the 112th iteration of the Tennessee General Assembly has begun.

Of note is the Redistricting plan recently released, showing a drastic concentration of population in Middle TN, and a reduction in the Rural West.  

Few bills relative to the Right to keep, bear and wear arms have been filed as of this date, but there are several of note that are being worked on.  With a House filing deadline of the first week of February, things will have to move fast if substantive ground is to be gained.  

I do anticipate that there will be moves to change the age for permits to 18 from 21, and, have heard rumors that GOA is desiring to see a change to the criminal aspect of carrying past a posting.  Griffey has filed "Kyle's Bill" relative to forcing the state to pay legal fees in a spurious prosecution of a self defense nature, I do not think it will get a Senate Sponsor, but we will see.  I will be reaching out to the NRA Lobbyist to see if they are attempting to push any specific legislation.

The Senate is our obstacle with respect to passage of good restorative legislation, however, I do have hope after a few initial  conversations that some members who are not seeking re-election are somewhat more willing to stand on principal and less under pressure from the Establishment to not run "big 'ol bad gun bills" in an election year.

The coming week will be pivotal, I have a couple of meetings on the hill this next week that will  be of note with respect to the possibility of gain on these issues.

I have begun a series of podcast that are interviews with House Members and am planning to do the same with members of the Senate.  I have done a few so far with true supporters of the 2nd amendment, and am being asked by others now that they have heard the first series and see that is not a bushwhack, rather an opportunity to get their thoughts in front of the public, said officials able to hear and approve the edited versions prior to release.  The offer has been made to all members, and I am getting a fair number of request, as it is election year after all... 

Stay tuned as the whirligig has just begun to spin for 2022!

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2