Passing along some info about Charlie Haffner Memorial Range (aka CHMR, Owl Hollow)

TGO David

• Administrator

I am passing along some information that might be pertinent to some of our Nashville-area members, particularly those in the Franklin, Spring Hill, southern Williamson County areas.

Charlie Haffner Memorial Range's pricing and hours have changed substantially as of January 2022, so please be advised and prepared rather than surprised when you go to renew this year. I will line-item the changes as they were relayed to me, below.

• There are no longer pay-by-the-day options for shooting at CHMR.  Shooting there requires an annual membership or being the guest of someone who is an annual member.

• The basic annual membership costs $100.00 and now runs 12-months regardless of which month you purchase within (previously it was Jan 1 – Dec 31).  At this tier, you still pay another $10.00 each time you go to the range.  Adult guests at this tier pay $20.00 per day and minor children at this tier pay $10.00 per day.

• The next tier of annual membership costs $200.00 and allows unlimited visits for no additional cost.  This membership is for you as an individual and does not cover your spouse or minor children.  Adult guests at this tier pay $20.00 per day and minor children at this tier pay $10.00 per day.

• The next tier of annual membership costs $250.00 and allows unlimited visits for your spouse and minor children for no additional cost.  Other adult guests still pay $20.00 per day at this tier.  I presume that children outside your immediate household will still be $10.00 per day, but I did not ask.

• The range hours have also changed.  The range is still closed the first full weekend of each month.  The range is also now closed only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, unless one of those days happens to be a holiday.  The range will also be closed on any day where the HIGH temperature will not be above 32-degrees Fahrenheit.  The range hours are now 9:00AM – 4:00PM all year round.  (Previously the hours ran later during the warmer months).

• Lastly, every time you visit the range you must visit the Range Officers shack and sign-in on the guest book.

The scheduling changes can be confirmed by visiting https://williamsonshooting.com .  None of the pricing changes are listed there, from what I’ve seen.

Charlie and the other gentleman that I spoke with today said that these changes are meant to help keep the peace with neighboring residents to hopefully postpone the inevitability of the day when encroaching development might shut them down.  The cost increases just reflect what the range needs to fund its operation and pay Charlie for his time and effort.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Now to offer some opinions.  🙂

It sounds like 2020 was a hard year for the range.  I am sure that the drought of ammunition and the rising prices when it could be found both steered away shooters.  I am just guessing, but I have noticed that a lot of folks historically paid-by-the-day, so the lack of activity last year probably put a huge dent in their operating budget.

The stiff increase in pricing did make me wince a little as I wrote my check, but it is still proximally the closest range to me which makes it very convenient.  I just worry that they may now be priced into competition with other ranges within a 30-minute drive that offer better hours, various amenities, and even indoor shooting.

The change in operating hours is also something that I think will impact a lot of patrons.  Previously the range stayed open until 6:00PM during warmer months.  They also opened at 8:00AM previously.  These two changes will cut into their clientele that work Monday - Friday jobs, especially if they commute for work.  Unless you can make it to the range by 3:00PM, you probably won't bother trying to go during the week now.

I hope the hours change.  If enough people let Charlie know their concerns, maybe he would consider adjusting that part of the new changes.

I signed up for another year at the unlimited tier.  I think that I will get enough use out of it to warrant not just paying $100 base and $10 per visit.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info David. I agree that the hours and price will probably dissuade the occasional shooter, which could be good or bad. I long ago stopped going on the weekends, as it seemed like they didn’t have enough staff to keep up with the crowd. I never saw anyone being intentionally unsafe or negligent, but there was way to much flagging and such up and down the line for my comfort. I always prefer going on a weekday morning when it’s just the old diehards out there. I do think it’s a good thing that he is letting the 12month year start whenever you pay, as I know several people that were wanting to sign up mid year that didn’t because he wouldn’t roll the year or prorate. 

• Like 2
On 1/24/2022 at 1:31 PM, TGO David said:

Charlie and the other gentleman that I spoke with today said that these changes are meant to help keep the peace with neighboring residents to hopefully postpone the inevitability of the day when encroaching development might shut them down.  

I HATE these Karens who move in right next to a range & then bitch about the noise. 🤬 

Am I wrong or did TN not pass a range protection law about this sort of thing?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
15 hours ago, bobsguns said:

I HATE these Karens who move in right next to a range & then bitch about the noise. 🤬 

Am I wrong or did TN not pass a range protection law about this sort of thing?

Those people rub me all kinds of wrong.  I'm not sure if Tennessee passed that sort of law or not, but I'd support it if they have one on the books for consideration.

Maybe someone will find info on it before I can, but I will do some searching.

Edit...

Well, I didn't have to search hard.  John Harris of the TFA has a good blog posting on his law practices' web site.  You can find it here:

Range Protection Act (harrislawoffice.com)

Dang, Charlie Hafner was my go to when I lived in Nashville. Having the pistol pit to yourself was awesome.

I’ve since moved to Chattanooga where I joined the Chattanooga Rifle Club, which has to be one of the best values in the south. Fantastic facilities/property. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, TGO David said:

The range is also now closed only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, unless one of those days happens to be a holiday.

The range is closed Wednesdays and Thursdays. The website is up to date. 

• Like 1