Ruger P95

tercel89

I was at the right place and right time to find this old dinosaur. I am a sucker for the old Ruger P-series pistols. They are fat , big , and clunky but they run forever until the good Lord comes back. This is the P95. It has the fiberglass frame and the frame rails that the slide rides on is the same fiber glass that the frame is made of. So a slide that rides on fiber glass instead of metal . I was always worried about this but no one has had one ever fail or wear down. This one was never fired and is new in the box. Still has the danger/warning sticker on the frame. When I was turning 21 the Ruger P-Series 85 and 89 were coming out and they were my first pistol. They would run no matter what I put in them and when dirty they still never failed. I just thought Id share this with you guys. have a good day ! 

Resized_20220126_111050.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20220126_112114.jpeg

• Like 10

Friends picked up a P95DC back in 2020 and love it. Just heavy enough to take some of the kick out of it for the wife. She always liked my Glock 19 but it kicked a bit more than she was comfortable with, she prefers the P95 after test firing it. In slow shooting she can out shoot her husband but he does better in follow up double tap shooting.

12 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I was at the right place and right time to find this old dinosaur. I am a sucker for the old Ruger P-series pistols. They are fat , big , and clunky but they run forever until the good Lord comes back. This is the P95. It has the fiberglass frame and the frame rails that the slide rides on is the same fiber glass that the frame is made of. So a slide that rides on fiber glass instead of metal . I was always worried about this but no one has had one ever fail or wear down. This one was never fired and is new in the box. Still has the danger/warning sticker on the frame. When I was turning 21 the Ruger P-Series 85 and 89 were coming out and they were my first pistol. They would run no matter what I put in them and when dirty they still never failed. I just thought Id share this with you guys. have a good day ! 

Resized_20220126_111050.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20220126_112114.jpeg

You've been talking these up for so long...you've got me interested!

Perhaps you might find another? lol!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

One of the reasons I don't like Ruger or buy Ruger products

Isn't it odd how one man's trash is another man's treasure. I have several Rugers from a 22 Single Six to three PRP's, and I like them all. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

Isn't it odd how one man's trash is another man's treasure. I have several Rugers from a 22 Single Six to three PRP's, and I like them all. 

To be fair a big part of my anti Ruger stance is business practice related. Most companies in the firearms business treat other firearms manufacturers with a certain level of respect even when they are, at some level, in competition. Ruger actively undermines other manufacturers with petty and vindictive practices. They screwed the company I work for by acquiring part of our supply base and cut off supply to all other firearms related customers.  There were several other companies affected besides ours. All were sent scrambling to find new vendors, move tooling, and/or produce new tooling to keep the flow of parts coming in.  

The P series was clunky, bulky, not all that well refined and the two examples I fired had an ejection pattern that put about every 2nd or 3rd case on top of my hat. 

I was just kidding with my daughter earlier when test firing this pistol. I told her it's the Tonka truck of the pistol world. I got to thinking and I believe that's the best thing to describe the Ruger P-Series. The Tonka Trucks of the pistol world. Big , tough , fat, clunky and reliable. 

21 hours ago, Will said:

This is the model that was issued to the Tank Crews during  Desert Storm when they could not produce enough Beretta 92s and they had to undergo Army tests and trials to be considered.

I have read about that once . It's pretty neat ! Tanker guys getting Ruger P-Series. Very cool.  

Oh man! You finally found one! Congrats!

I love my p89. Shoots like a laser and is stone cold reliable. Trigger is terrible but swapped mine out for a p95 curved trigger. It helped slightly.

It's my zombie get home truck pistol. I'd trust it over anything.

I almost offered it up to you seeing all your posts.

Bit of advice, find some nos uncle Mike's rubber grips. They are the bees knees for ruger p-series. (Oh wait- its fiberglass framed, duh nevermind!)

Enjoy!

Edited by HappyCamper
9 hours ago, tercel89 said:

They are getting to be few and far between buddy ! 

Well, don't waste time looking; but if one should just appear out of thin air...please let me know. I must find out why you are so very enamored with these pistols!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, hipower said:

Well, don't waste time looking; but if one should just appear out of thin air...please let me know. I must find out why you are so very enamored with these pistols!

I've never owned nor shot one of the P series Rugers. Not sure I've even picked one up. Surely I have in all the places I went, but I just don't remember them. If I did, it didn't make an impression on me at the time. lol!

So...have I missed out on a hidden gem? 

They are fat and I guess you'd say crude but they run and run. Their slides are cast steel and the metal frame are cast aluminum.  I've never seen one fail. They were Rugers entry into the 80s "wonder nine" pistols like the Beretta 92 and SW 59 series. 

20210914_090706.jpg

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

They are fat and I guess you'd say crude but they run and run. Their slides are cast steel and the metal frame are cast aluminum.  I've never seen one fail. They were Rugers entry into the 80s "wonder nine" pistols like the Beretta 92 and SW 59 series. 

20210914_090706.jpg

You’re ate up with them things!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To be honest, I thought they were every bit as good as the Beretta 92 the Military adopted. For the time, I didn't think they were crude at all. I had the P-89 and it would eat anything you fed it, even that hard primer machinegun ammunition that used to be available. Couldn't say that for every wonder nine of the day. Friend of mine had a SIG that hated that stuff.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hipower said:

No one needs THAT many of the same pistol! What do you think they are...Caniks!?!?

Well , a few of them are 9 and a few are 45 😀 . One of the 9's I got for $175 and one of the 45's I got for $169. I couldn't pass those up. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
15 hours ago, tercel89 said:

20210914_090706.jpg

Is this a complete collection of P series pistols? If so, that’s pretty cool, and probably a pretty good investment. If not, how many are you missing?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Well , a few of them are 9 and a few are 45 😀 . One of the 9's I got for $175 and one of the 45's I got for $169. I couldn't pass those up. 

Aren't you in Law enforcement?  You should arrest yourself for stealing those! 😄 What a freakin' deal!!!

6 hours ago, Moped said:

Aren't you in Law enforcement?  You should arrest yourself for stealing those! 😄 What a freakin' deal!!!

I would hate to know the gas I have spent riding around hunting for them. When it's nice outside , my girl and I are fishing creeks and ponds. But on the nasty days we sometimes go riding around and before you know it we have driven "x" amount of miles just riding around from one pawn shop to another looking for old P-Series.  After this last one , the polymer P95 , I think I am done unless one just pops up in front of me. I am still wanting one that has been worn down like it has rode in the floorboard of an old F100 truck for 30 years. I had a chance to get one like that for dirt cheap but I passed it up since those older ones use slightly different magazines.  Stupid me !  I'm going to try to attach a picture of a similair one that looked like that old worn down one I saw. Something about that old worn look on these old bricks is just appealing to me. 

Screenshot_20220129-182302_Gallery.jpg

Edited by tercel89
Picture
  • Like 1