San Jose Becomes First U.S. City To Approve Forcing Gun Owners To Carry Liability Insurance

bobsguns

Story

“Under San Jose’s proposed law, gun owners would be charged an annual $25 fee directed to a nonprofit set up to distribute funds to gun crime prevention and to victims of gun violence. The measure also would require gun owners to obtain liability insurance that would cover damage caused by their weapon,” CNN added.

So, once AGAIN honest, law abiding gun owners are being forced to cover the damage caused by thugs, punks & miscreants with ILLEGAL firearms. Sounds about right..................  🤬

Gun rights advocates argue that gun owners should not have to pay a fee to exercise their constitutional right to bear arms. To be sure, the 2nd Amendment protects the rights of citizens to own guns, but it doesn’t require the public to subsidize gun ownership. …

Critics say that criminals won’t obey insurance or fee mandates — and they are right. But these ordinances create a legal mandate that gives police the means for at least the temporary forfeiture of guns from dangerous law-breakers.

Police ALREADY have "means" for forfeiture of the ILLEGAL use of firearms.

In short, they're saying, "We don't give a crap about the law, the Constitution or the courts. We hate guns & we're going to punish law abiding gun owners because we sure as heck can't blame the liberal social programs that helped encourage these miscreants."

Personally, I think it will take an appeals court to get this thrown out. CA judges will slobber all over themselves in upholding this BS, IMO. 

Edited by bobsguns

First and foremost if the "criminals" are felons and in possession of a firearm, they should be imprisoned for about 25+ years and see it that solves some of the GUN VIOLENCE. It is always the gun and the legal firearm owner that doesn't break the law that the liberal left want to penalize.

• Like 4

I had a long talk with my insurance agent which by the way is Pro-Gun and she said I could add a rider to my Homeowners/Renters insurance that protects me and my firearms in the event I had to file a firearms claim. My policy did not increase by adding it. I did this quite a few years back long before this San Jose deal came about. I had a friend shoot a burglar in his home and the guy sued him from jail and almost won. If it wasn't for the fact the guy had a long history of arrests he might have won but my friend was still out the attorney fees. My insurance will cover any attorney's fees and other expenses. I realize that driving a car/truck etc is not a Constitutional issue but we still have to have liability insurance by law to operate one on the highways legally....JMHO

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How do they propose to enforce this? I’m glad I’m not charged with that duty.

Probably the same way most automobile liability statutes are enforced - as long as you don't get involved in a wreck, your lack of liability coverage isn't noticed.  I guess they could adopt the same posture on post-incident enforcement as in auto liability cases, i.e. if you don't have the insurance, you're automatically the party at fault ...

17 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Probably the same way most automobile liability statutes are enforced

I have long wondered if everyone is supposed to have liability insurance on their auto, why in the world do we have to pay for uninsured motorists??  Back in Mississippi there were quite a few Hispanics and they were pretty bad for driving without license or insurance. After one hit me while stopped for oncoming traffic, I told the Highway patrol that instead of arresting these people and us supporting them in jail, that I had a much better idea. Tow their car to the impound and charge $25 per day storage until they could provide proof of insurance and license. They would either comply like everyone else or run out of cars.

• Like 1

I have often wondered the Same thing Dirtshooter? I carry uninsured motorist on my vehicle which I asked my agent about it and she said after looking at the age of my Jeep she actually told me that I am almost wasting money with having it. She said if my Jeep received much damage at all they would total it and Pay me the minimum required which is $1,000.00 dollars. There are a lot of people in Tennessee that drive without insurance so I will keep mine. A $1,000.00 is better than a sharp stick in the eye!! I also have my rider on my Home owner/Renters policy for my firearms in case I have to shoot a piece of trash trying to steal something or break into my home.

5 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have often wondered the Same thing Dirtshooter? I carry uninsured motorist on my vehicle which I asked my agent about it and she said after looking at the age of my Jeep she actually told me that I am almost wasting money with having it. She said if my Jeep received much damage at all they would total it and Pay me the minimum required which is $1,000.00 dollars. There are a lot of people in Tennessee that drive without insurance so I will keep mine. A $1,000.00 is better than a sharp stick in the eye!! I also have my rider on my Home owner/Renters policy for my firearms in case I have to shoot a piece of trash trying to steal something or break into my home.

To add a foot note I also get to keep my Jeep along with the $1,000.00 dollars so I might be able to get it fixed since I have family in the auto repair business.

6 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Back in Mississippi there were quite a few Hispanics and they were pretty bad for driving without license or insurance. After one hit me while stopped for oncoming traffic, I told the Highway patrol that instead of arresting these people and us supporting them in jail, that I had a much better idea. Tow their car to the impound and charge $25 per day storage until they could provide proof of insurance and license. They would either comply like everyone else or run out of cars.

Illegals can't get insurance because they can't acquire a legal DL, at least in the South. 

I've had to use my uninsured motorist coverage twice after being hit by someone else. Both times were natural born Americans. Sucks.