I-65 Shooting

AuEagle

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Whoever wrote that gibberish should be sent back to kindergarten.

You wouldn't believe how many emails I've sent to Ch 4 "reporters" saying just about the same thing. Shameful. Yet all of them claim to be "award winning" digital content managers. Jeez.  🙄

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, chances R said:

completely justified shooting

Maybe, maybe not. At least one officer has been decommissioned over this incident. Might be more once the shooting board has done their diligence. 

The whole shooting thing could've been possibly avoided, IMO. My question is why weren't the cops behind their cars for cover until they could see the guy's hands clearly? Why stand out in the open like they did? Granted, my background is mil & not LE, but cover would've seemed to have been the prudent thing to do, yes?

I've seen some question firing two rds from the shotgun, stating it was excessive. Not sure where I stand on that one either. I have no clue what rd is standard for Metro PD but I would imagine 00 buck? I can't imagine anyone being upright after a single rd of that? 

Seems like things could've gone a little slower as well? Maybe wait for some tactical shields to be brought out? Heck, drive a patrol car behind him, if that was possible? Seems to have been some options available rather than rushing the situation, IMO. 

Clearly the dead guy had mental issues, no question there. I also believe he did suicide by cop too. Just a sad situation all the way around, IMO.  

The decommissioned officer fired two rounds after he was down, according to the news. That's a no no. When the threat is over,  deadly force no longer applies. Sou ds like that may have been the case. I'll wait till the TBI gets it sorted out before I'll pass judgment.

Of course, the blood sucking lawyers have already made an appearance on behalf of his family. The lawyer was on TV, sounded like she was making it up as she spoke. Really don't like these people. Turned it off before she shut up.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Of course, the blood sucking lawyers have already made an appearance on behalf of his family. The lawyer was on TV, sounded like she was making it up as she spoke. Really don't like these people. 

That's what lawyers do, I'm afraid. 

Could be worse. Could be the esteemed "Rev." Al Sharpton..............................   😝 

26 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Not completely justified as one officer has been decommissioned. Might get fired.

IMO nothing wrong with shooting.  The guy blocking traffic pulled an object from his pocket and took a shooting stance while pointing object at officers.  Granted, some delayed shots fired after guy was on ground and not an apparent threat.  But dead is dead and with the number of initial shots fired....well, bad optics.

• Like 3

The original video showed the guys arm move and then the additional shots were fired,  The decommissioning is BS IMO, you fire to eliminate a threat, the threat was not over to the observer, and I would have done the same thing in his position.  The additional shots made no difference to the perp surviving this incident, so it is all about the optics, but they are pandering to the wrong side of this.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Omega said:

The additional shots made no difference to the perp surviving this incident, so it is all about the optics, but they are pandering to the wrong side of this.

Ehh, I don't know about "pandering". Thankfully there's no race baiting being interjected into this fiasco, so we can be glad for that.

From what I hear from current cops about the current chief, he's a lot like how Joe Casey used to be: by the book. Unlike the past 3-4 chiefs, the rank & file cops seem to like the current chief.

For those who don't know of former chief Joe Casey, he once gave himself a 2-3 day suspension for some minor infraction. I don't recall what it was these days. His nickname was "Hang 'em high" Joe Casey as he thought all drug dealers should be hung from the town square lamp posts. Needless to say, that didn't play well with the libtard elite. LOL! 

• Like 1

Not a lot of concern from reporting about innocent bystanders in backed up traffic. If hand in pocket was possible gun then killing him asap was correct.

If there was an effective method to (non lethal) take him down before he made a threatening move then it should have been tried but the anti-police would have complained about that too so....

"Firing squad" at the ready justified to prevent crazy man from shooting stray rounds into stopped cars perhaps? What difference does 2 cops vs 10 cops make? These guys are not always marksmen. Would be interesting to get final ratio of hits and misses.

Shots after threat was down? Couldn't see but perhaps he was still moving, object still in hand?

As for wife or GF....she was afraid of him, he tried to kill her. Suddenly she has the NAACP woman with her in front of cameras?

Am I missing something? Is the guy black? If Not then perhaps it's good that finally word gets out that cops don't just shoot minorities. 

Can't fathom why anyone would be a Cop in this day and age. Hope these guys get fair treatment. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

As for wife or GF....she was afraid of him, he tried to kill her. Suddenly she has the NAACP woman with her in front of cameras?

Am I missing something? Is the guy black?

No, the dead guy was as white as white can be. Crazy though.

The reason the widow was with the NAACP is simple: $$$$$$$$$

• Like 4

Veteran officer concerned with how police handled situation leading to I-65 shooting

Story

“To have that many officers present in uniform and with the weapons drawn, that’s more intimidation than anything else, especially when you’re talking about a person having a mental episode,” Collins said.

7 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Not a lot of concern from reporting about innocent bystanders in backed up traffic. If hand in pocket was possible gun then killing him asap was correct.

If there was an effective method to (non lethal) take him down before he made a threatening move then it should have been tried 

This was my first thought .  There were already several officers and highway patrol covering the guy with their weapons. Then two more officers approach the the scene with shotguns. Why couldn’t someone employ less than lethal on him while he’s standing there with the box cutter? Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but I expect more professionalism from the highway patrol.  

I was an army Military Policeman and very briefly a corrections officer. Two things both of those jobs stressed and required were the ability to be able to deescalate and communicate. In the army you’re dealing with some people who can easily kick your ass at any time and in corrections all you have is your voice and a radio to save your behind.  In the body cam video the officer talking was a good thing, but it also sounded like someone covering his ass if he had to shoot. Good move.   Other than that, there were no attempts to use less than lethal force prior to the now deceased pulling his hand from his pocket.  

In any situation similar to this, I’d rather see less than lethal force applied prematurely as opposed to someone getting killed or a having an officer injured. The repercussions for using less lethal prematurely are less severe than those that will be faced for discharging a firearm. Someone mentioned that people would still complain about the use of less than lethal force.  Perhaps, but it’s not a career ending event where the officers potentially faces jail and financial ruin. 

Just my two cents. Have a good weekend. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

This confounded me as well.

Perhaps the lawyer is a civil attorney who just also has an association with the NAACP and a background in dealing with officer involved misconduct. I have no problem with the family immediately obtaining an attorney.

Regardless if the deceased was right or wrong, this is still a trying time for his family, and at this moment they may not be able to effectively gather and communicate their thoughts. Their actions are the same actions that any of us would take if we were involved in a shooting. Shut up and get a lawyer. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2