Stuck Nipple on hawken

Hey all, I got my cabelas 50 cal hawken out of the safe after about 10 years and got it shooting it again. It was rusty from sitting so long and not have been cleaned as good as it should but wasn't in bad shape. I'm trying to remove the nipple and tried a heat gun yesterday and got it turned about 3-4 times but the nipple is pretty messed up. I've let pb blaster soak all night and will try heat again today but I'm almost getting to the point I think I'm going to have to drill it out. I don't want to have to change sizes, so has anyone used an easy out drill bit before? 

Or shoot I'll pay someone to remove it for me if you have the tools and experience. I've buggered it up pretty bad but you can still get a grip with vice grips. 

1 hour ago, jwhjwh54 said:

so has anyone used an easy out drill bit before

Easy outs work pretty well, but whenever I have to drill out a fastener I start with a reverse-twist drill bit. Almost all the time the fastener will back out as the bit bites.  You can buy a cheap set at Harbor Freight, and those bits will work for two or three jobs before they become too dull. The PB Blaster, or Kroil, work wonders.

If the nipple turned out three or four turns you might try turning it in and out again, too. Just as you do with a tap, turning it both ways might help clear any grit.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Darrell said:

Easy outs work pretty well, but whenever I have to drill out a fastener I start with a reverse-twist drill bit. Almost all the time the fastener will back out as the bit bites.  

This.

But don't use Harbor Freight stuff, get something good & decent if you don't have them already.

Thanks for the tips! I almost was about to head to the hardware store and it gave just a little turn. After soaking in pb for about a day and I put the heat gun on it for 10 minutes I was able to get it free. It's a mangled chunk of metal but it's out! I've ordered anti seize and also know a lot more about cleaning these things then I did when I got the rifle a long time ago. Looking forward to  shooting it some more! Thanks!

• Like 2

It is also shooting like 8 inches low at 25 yards with 80-90 grains of Pyrodex RS (ffg) 490 ball with .01 patch. I'm wondering if it's not getting good ignition with the old nipple and caps. I got new powder the other day and after a few shots there was definitely a lot of unburnt powder. We'll see with a new nipple and able to clean it all out properly. 

I've ordered new patches, balls, caps and cleaning supplies. 

I have heard with the cabala's investarm 50 cal's you may have to file down the front sight as well to get it shooting right. 

Edited by jwhjwh54
2 hours ago, jwhjwh54 said:

It is also shooting like 8 inches low at 25 yards with 80-90 grains of Pyrodex RS (ffg) 490 ball with .01 patch. I'm wondering if it's not getting good ignition with the old nipple and caps. I got new powder the other day and after a few shots there was definitely a lot of unburnt powder. We'll see with a new nipple and able to clean it all out properly. 

I've ordered new patches, balls, caps and cleaning supplies. 

I have heard with the cabala's investarm 50 cal's you may have to file down the front sight as well to get it shooting right. 

That’s how the sights were designed to be regulated. The front sight is made tall. Pick your load and file to correct height.

I always liked the speed loaders for loading loose powder in the field. They also hold your projectile and cap as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015808136?pid=361345

Round balls are great for plinking and target shooting, but I feel an expanding, conical projectile is superior for deer hunting. Something like a lead Great Plains bullet or even a pistol bullet and sabot.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...