Screwdriver!!!

I have a theory about these Gunbroker and eBay things that go for totally ridiculous prices. I think at least part of it if competition bidding it up and then not paying. Other than that though, I think some of it is a good way for people to launder money or pay for other under the table stuff. I mean there is a paper trail, but is the IRS watching every eBay auction? A seller could sell a bunch, then stop once the money is collected. The bank account being used is closed and the trail stops there. IRS is not chasing someone for a few thousand dollars in eBay sales. I mean eBay already collected the sales tax anyway. Not a million dollar a day turn over, but given a group of user accounts, you could move a good bit. eBay is not going to yell because they are making 12 or 13 percent on it. 

You have to provide a SS# to eBay now. They will report yearly sales over $600 (for 2022)to the IRS as reportable income. 

it used to be on sales more than $20,000. I guess that loophole is now closed

Edited by Snaveba

True collectors are an odd lot. If that simple screwdriver completed all the original items for a like new, in the box Registered Magnum or Triple Lock, It would be quite a bargain at twice that price. I'm surprised that aren't counterfeited at an alarming rate, as that is something most any clown with a small metal lather or Smithy machine could recreate. Even the original corrosion inhibiting paper that originally came in the box can add big bucks to a sure enough collector specimen.

It looks to me like I have most everything I'm interested in having and am willing to pay for.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have a theory about these Gunbroker and eBay things that go for totally ridiculous prices. I think at least part of it if competition bidding it up and then not paying. Other than that though, I think some of it is a good way for people to launder money or pay for other under the table stuff. I mean there is a paper trail, but is the IRS watching every eBay auction? A seller could sell a bunch, then stop once the money is collected. The bank account being used is closed and the trail stops there. IRS is not chasing someone for a few thousand dollars in eBay sales. I mean eBay already collected the sales tax anyway. Not a million dollar a day turn over, but given a group of user accounts, you could move a good bit. eBay is not going to yell because they are making 12 or 13 percent on it. 

I have pretty much the same theory concerning "modern art".  No one likes it, it's stupid expensive, but it's the perfect money laundering vessel for all the reasons you mention.  

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

True collectors are an odd lot. If that simple screwdriver completed all the original items for a like new, in the box Registered Magnum or Triple Lock, It would be quite a bargain at twice that price. I'm surprised that aren't counterfeited at an alarming rate, as that is something most any clown with a small metal lather or Smithy machine could recreate. Even the original corrosion inhibiting paper that originally came in the box can add big bucks to a sure enough collector specimen.

It looks to me like I have most everything I'm interested in having and am willing to pay for.

I'm looking hard for just the right S&W 29.  This screwdriver would buy half of one.  

Just for the fun of it I searched similar items and many can be found mostly on Ebay.  The apparently newer 9 row versions are a steal at around $150.00 compared to the 7 row versions and the fluted models are a better deal ranging between $35-$125.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Haha 1

Greg nailed it. Collectors will pay big bucks for just the right item to go with a pristine collectible gun.  It completes the set as it were.  Complete tool kits (screwdriver, cleaning rod, mop and brush) sell for big bucks. Especially if still in the original, unopened package. 

Prime example is S&W factory  stocks. Up to about the 80s, new gun buyers at that time routinely took them off a new gun and slapped on a pair of goodyears or other aftermarket stocks. Many were simply thrown away. Gun shops often had boxes full of them for about $10 a set. But S&W quit making wood stocks years ago. Originals are getting hard to find. Many collectors want to return used guns back to factory original. Now days, depending on the condition, style and wood, these stocks routinely sell for $150-$500. Some go for even more. An original set of "Cokes" in like new condition could bring as much as $1000. 

A few years ago I bought a refinished 1930s .38/44 HE. Being refinished, it had little collector value. However, it did have a set of excellent condition period correct Service stocks on it. I took these off and listed them in the S&W Forum For Sale section at half the price I paid for the entire gun. They sold in less than 10 minutes. I really should have asked for more.  🙄

Never underestimate what serious collectors are willing to pay.  😉

• Like 1