Let's see your deer hunting rig

gregintenn

xppspcz.jpeg

This has ended up being my kinda go-to, the last few years. Unlike anyone else on here, I do actually own several suitable hunting rifles (gasp in shock all you like commoners, I'm frikkin' LOADED with cash) 

This little madam started out as an end-of- season-Walmart-sale youth model 700 in .243. I fired it straight off to Jess at JES Reboring & had its tube scooped out to .358 winchester. Picked up a used Brown's Precision Pound'r stock (weighs 14oz, after chopping off the extra length actually) & slapped a recoil pad, scope & some paint on it. 

It hits like the hand of God when I need it to (220gn Speers at 2540fps) but I can also pick off skwerls with cast pistol bullets down to 800fps if I want to! 

If, for some ungodly reason, I suddenly became an average pauper like you lot & had to cut down to *gasps in poverty* Just. One. Rifle. This would be the one I'd keep, no question. 

Edited by Handsome Rob
Speeling mistooks
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

xppspcz.jpeg

This has ended up being my kinda go-to, the last few years. Unlike anyone else on here, I do actually own several suitable hunting rifles (gasp in shock all you like commoners, I'm frikkin' LOADED with cash) 

This little madam started out as an end-of- season-Walmart-sale youth model 700 in .243. I fired it straight off to Jess at JES Reboring & had its tube scooped out to .358 winchester. Picked up a used Brown's Precision Pound'r stock (weighs 14oz, after chopping off the extra length actually) & slapped a recoil pad, scope & some paint on it. 

It hits like the hand of God when I need it to (220gn Speers at 2540fps) but I can also pick off skwerls with cast pistol bullets down to 800fps if I want to! 

If, for some ungodly reason, I suddenly became an average pauper like you lot & had to cut down to *gasps in poverty* Just. One. Rifle. This would be the one I'd keep, no question. 

I was looking at a BLR in .358 the other day.  That is one caliber I do not have.  This "I must have all the calibers" sickness is a real pain in the a$$. 😔

• Haha 1

I'm looking to buy a hunting rifle. I'm torn between 30.06 and .308. I'm a new deer hunter...I've killed a boar though! I love the look of 30 30 and 45-70 but worried about range and power, am I wrong about that? I have a 5.56 but I don't feel comfortable using it from what I've read...I'd be wrecked if I injured a deer and wasted a harvest..or am I wrong about that too?

1 hour ago, Jason5150 said:

I'm looking to buy a hunting rifle. I'm torn between 30.06 and .308. I'm a new deer hunter...I've killed a boar though! I love the look of 30 30 and 45-70 but worried about range and power, am I wrong about that? I have a 5.56 but I don't feel comfortable using it from what I've read...I'd be wrecked if I injured a deer and wasted a harvest..or am I wrong about that too?

Nothing wrong with a 5.56/.223 with the correct bullet & shot placement. A good, scoped .30-30 will cover about 80% of Tennessee deer hunting. If you're looking at a new rifle, a .308 will cover all your bases, mouse to moose, inside of 500yds. A .30-06 is really no advantage over a .308, unless you're wanting to go after big stuff with heavier bullets. 

What's your rifle shooting experience level?

Thank you for the reply, sir! I was able to maintain Expert while in the military. I grew up around rifles and hunting and have always loved it. I just never dove deep into it like I should have. I do partake in the 2A along with my wife, I carry a MP Shield 9. I purchased my first AR a couple of weeks ago!

13 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

Nothing wrong with a 5.56/.223 with the correct bullet & shot placement. A good, scoped .30-30 will cover about 80% of Tennessee deer hunting. If you're looking at a new rifle, a .308 will cover all your bases, mouse to moose, inside of 500yds. A .30-06 is really no advantage over a .308, unless you're wanting to go after big stuff with heavier bullets. 

What's your rifle shooting experience level?

Thank you for the reply, sir! I was able to maintain Expert while in the military. I grew up around rifles and hunting and have always loved it. I just never dove deep into it like I should have. I do partake in the 2A along with my wife, I carry a MP Shield 9. I purchased my first AR a couple of weeks ago!

1 hour ago, Jason5150 said:

There isn’t a nickel’s difference in real world difference in a 308 and a 30-06. Same bullet flying at basically the same speed.

First thing you might want to consider is your budget for said rifle.

Most people, in my opinion, spend a lot of money on a rifle and not near enough on a scope. You really don’t need a Hubble telescope for deer hunting, but a good quality scope is well worth it’s cost.

Sorry for the rambling post, but maybe it’ll give you a few points to ponder.

15 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There isn’t a nickel’s difference in real world difference in a 308 and a 30-06. Same bullet flying at basically the same speed.

First thing you might want to consider is your budget for said rifle.

Most people, in my opinion, spend a lot of money on a rifle and not near enough on a scope. You really don’t need a Hubble telescope for deer hunting, but a good quality scope is well worth it’s cost.

Sorry for the rambling post, but maybe it’ll give you a few points to ponder.

Hey no problem, I appreciate it...I was thinking of a Ruger or Savage Axis for my first one. Yes sir, optics..thanks for that tip

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eddie Southgate said:

My Winchester model 71, built November 1936 with he bolt peep sight. 

Model 71 1936 long tang.jpg

Wow. That is an early one. They made them from ‘35-‘58  .348 Winchester is a great round. I have a Browning 71 in .348. I have not been able to find me an original yet well at least at a decent price. 

• Like 1