Memphis and North Mississippi, get ready for power outages

Hey all you guys and gals in West Tn. and N. Mississippi, the freezing rain will make travel pretty dangerous and power outages are expected to be 100,000 or more and the outages could last for a week or more. Prepare now if it hasn't hit in your yard yet!! Prayers for everyone.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Saw on the news 100K people have no power in Shelby Co. That would suck for people with c-pap & ventilator machines. 

I wasn't able to sleep last night. My power finally gave up (it had flickered all day long) at 8:45 last night for good.  It went off for a few hours at 3:40 but came back on for an hour or so before going back out.  We've been without since.  Dealing with the cold isn't terrible.  The inability to sleep is. 

To be honest though, I'd rather they get power back on to everyone that really needs it though before they deal with my sleeping machine. 

Here in Lakeland the power went out yesterday Thursday at about 8:30 AM-stayed out till around 9:00 Pm-then again went out at 4:00 AM and came on about an hour later-

I have a Generac 3500-Watt generator that got a good workout last night-

We bought a B&D 15,000 BTU AC/Heat combo-it kept a good part of our little house at about 63 Degrees-

We purchased all of the backup equipment a little over 2 years ago-we got to try it out the last couple of day's-

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Saw this on the way to work:

Wow, that would totally suck! 

I'm both surprised/not surprised how people allow trees to droop over their homes like that. Not just ice storms, but strong winds will also drop those limbs faster than Biden's approval ratings. 

I hope no one was injured in the pic.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Wow, that would totally suck! 

I'm both surprised/not surprised how people allow trees to droop over their homes like that. Not just ice storms, but strong winds will also drop those limbs faster than Biden's approval ratings. 

I hope no one was injured in the pic.

I don’t think this was a drooping limb issue…

I’m in S.E Shelby.  No power loss at my home.  My daughter lives in a downtown apartment. She lost power last night. My sister in law lives in midtown and has been without power since the ice started. I feel bad for my brother. He works for MLGW, and I don’t think he’s gotten much sleep the last two days. It’s long past due the power lines be buried in the ground.

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1

I was without for about 24 hours and came back online this evening.  I was lucky.  

MLGW had to wait for the work crews to clear damaged trees before they could get started.  Now that they have, the numbers have been dropping all afternoon.  I think it peaked around 136k out and it’s currently around 96k.  

• Like 2

We lost power around 9:00am on Thursday and power came back on around 21:30 Friday night.  One of our large trees in the back of the house lost several branches, but we did not have any property damage.  The house two doors down from us had several large limbs come through their roof.

Edited by The Legion
  • Wow 1

While much of Shelby County lost power I was fortunate that I didn't.  After my son lost power in Memphis he and my grandson stayed at my home for a few days until his power was restored.  I had several bottles of propane refilled for my generators but didn't use them.  Another relative lost power and borrowed a generator.  The power company has done an excellent job restoring power across the city and county.

Edited by tnhawk