Memphis and North Mississippi, get ready for power outages

26 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Glad to hear everyone came through with no major issues. 

The skeptic in me wonders if commercial burglaries went up in the areas where the power went out? Alarms not working, that sort of thing?

Nope, the burglars were trying to stay warm.  

Ours came on about 2am yesterday morning.  I was asleep under a stack of blankets and didn’t know it had come back on.  With the thermostat still on 68, the heat ran for A WHILE and I thought I had pissed in the bed when I woke up.  

I'm finally back.

Here in Bartlett my power went out at about 9:30am thurs morning. It came back about 1:30, But went out again at 4:00pm. I have lanterns and fired up the gas fireplace. Funny thing is that I've lived in this house 32 years and I doubt those gas logs have been turned on a half dozen times. But I sure was glad to have them. I stayed warm and toasty. All in all I did quite well considering. 

Power came back on around 9:00pm Thurs and all is good. 👍

The streets never did ice up. I drove around the area some and lots of limbs and full trees are down. It was a mess! On Friday I heard on the news that 350 trees were reported down. That's just what was reported. No telling how many people have limbs or parts of trees down. Some streets were completely blocked. I lost a couple of large limbs, but no damage. 

I've mentioned my disabled friend before. She lives in the Frayser section of Memphis. Her power is still out now. I went and got her and her dogs Fri morning. They've been staying in my guest room ever since. Supposedly her power should be back by midnight tonight. But no promises. They're saying some folks may be out until the end of the week. 

For me the biggest PITA has been my cable was out. No TV and no internet for 5 days. It just came back on a little while ago. 🙄

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Funny thing is that I've lived in this house 32 years and I doubt those gas logs have been turned on a half dozen time

Interesting that you say this because we've used our gas fireplace a few times this winter and it seems like a waste of money. It doesn't seem to heat up the living room at all. I guess they aren't all equal. 

My gas logs burn a ton of gas and runs up the utility bill. That's why I rarely use it. But its a good flame and kept the den/kitchen area nice and warm. It kept the rest of the house tolerable. I actually had to turn it down after a couple of hours. Only ran it at about half. 😉

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm finally back.

Here in Bartlett my power went out at about 9:30am thurs morning. It came back about 1:30, But went out again at 4:00pm. I have lanterns and fired up the gas fireplace. Funny thing is that I've lived in this house 32 years and I doubt those gas logs have been turned on a half dozen times. But I sure was glad to have them. I stayed warm and toasty. All in all I did quite well considering. 

The streets never did ice up. I drove around the area some and lots of limbs and full trees are down. It was a mess! On Friday I heard on the news that 350 trees were reported down. That's just what was reported. No telling how many people have limbs or parts of trees down. Some streets were completely blocked. I lost a couple of large limbs, but no damage. 

I've mentioned my disabled friend before. She lives in the Frayser section of Memphis. Her power is still out now. I went and got her and her dogs Fri morning. They've been staying in my guest room ever since. Supposedly her power should be back by midnight tonight. But no promises. They're saying some folks may be out until the end of the week. 

For me the biggest PITA has been my cable was out. No TV and no internet for 5 days. It just came back on a little while ago. 🙄

im currently working at Watkins and 51 and the streets in Frayser absolutely iced up.  Our parking lot was frozen solid.  Raleigh streets looked dry.  It was weird

On 2/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Links2k said:

It’s long past due the power lines be buried in the ground.

I have been lucky I guess. Everywhere I have lived has had underground utilities. Back when I was in Millington in the 1994 ice storm we lost power for a few hours due to the transmission line to the three neighborhoods on my side of town got taken out before it went underground. They fixed that junction in a matter of hours and we were back up and running. 
My last two homes in the greater Nashville area have also had completely underground utilities. I don't think I have been without power longer than a couple hours total in two decades. 

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe.

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm finally back.

My brother lives in Bartlett, the house was my mom’s. A giant oak tree in the front yard dropped some big limbs. Apparently it was too close for comfort. That tree is finally scheduled for a trimming. He said nothing about the huge old hickory trees in the backyard. 

My neighborhood has underground utilities, but its fed by poles just a block away. Doesn't take much to put my whole area out. 

Day 6 and my disabled friend is still without power. A neighbor of her's is keeping her informed. Apparently its just her street and a couple in the immediate area that are out. Maybe 50 houses total. Right now MLG&W has bigger fish to fry. They won't even give an estimate as to when it'll be restored. 💩