TN Permit Confusion (Newb alert)

22lr

New to TN and relatively new to the forum. Before moving here I saw a lot of stuff about TN recently passing a "permit less carry law" which I thought was basically constitutional carry, which allowed non-prohibited persons to carry concealed or open without a permit. Now that I am here and trying to get my ducks in a row, I am seeing that there are different levels of permits. I did skim though the legal section on the forum, but did not see this topic addressed. Could someone break this down for me in simple layman's terms? 

Do I need a permit to carry here now that I am a resident? 

If not, then why would I want to get a permit? 

Thanks! 

16 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Short answer: get the Enhanced Carry. This allows you to carry in many other states. 

My .o2

Not just short answer but the best in my opinion. You can carry in more places in Tennessee and also have reciprocity in 38 other states.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Short answer: get the Enhanced Carry. This allows you to carry in many other states. 

My .o2

25 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

My .o2

And not that hard to get. When I got mine 7 years ago I think it took 10 days.

If you already have a permit from another state it is good for 6 months.

• Like 1

You can carry here without a permit if you are otherwise legally able to own a handgun.

Some other states offer the same, while others require a permit. If you wish to legally carry in one of those states, and they recognize a Tennessee permit, you’ll want to get one.

It’s a bit more nuanced than that, but that was my best stab at a short answer. A comprehensive answer would fill a small library and changes often.

If you do not have a permit, you cannot carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.  
If you do not have a permit, you cannot carry in parks. 
If you do not have a permit, reciprocity does not apply to you. 

That's as simple as I can make it.  There is more but that covers the major differences that people care about. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

If you do not have a permit, you cannot carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Did not know this with permitless carry. Know there is certain places that is permit only but cannot find  this exclusion listed in those prohibited areas.

42 minutes ago, jones45 said:

Did not know this with permitless carry. Know there is certain places that is permit only but cannot find  this exclusion listed in those prohibited areas.

This may have been changed.  I can't find the code now so maybe it was rewritten.  My mistake.