Sig P-365XL Spectre Comp

Defender

• Administrator

Yes, they work - but let's calibrate our definitions, first.  What they minimize is muzzle rise. 

A compensator reduces muzzle rise by jetting gasses upward, countering muzzle rise to some degree.  In order to counter recoil, which is to say the rearward push of the firearm, a brake minimizes recoil by jetting combustion gasses to the rear and sides.  A good example of a brake in action is the enormous chevron brake on the Barrett M82-A1 rifle. 

Back to this topic, it's common for a well-tuned comp to offset about 10-15% of a handgun's muzzle rise.  It depends on several factors including the powder charge of the round being fired.

This is my Glock G45 (9mm) running a Parker Mountain Machine comp.  The comp definitely works and the gun tracks fairly flat, especially when shooting hotter rounds.

i-hfHN6vh-X2.jpg

I saw that new Sig P365XL Spectre Comp for the first time just earlier today and it absolutely piqued my interest.  🙂

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Yes, they work - but let's calibrate our definitions, first.  What they minimize is muzzle rise. 

A compensator reduces muzzle rise by jetting gasses upward, countering muzzle rise to some degree.  In order to counter recoil, which is to say the rearward push of the firearm, a brake minimizes recoil by jetting combustion gasses to the rear and sides.  A good example of a brake in action is the enormous chevron brake on the Barrett M82-A1 rifle. 

Back to this topic, it's common for a well-tuned comp to offset about 10-15% of a handgun's muzzle rise.  It depends on several factors including the powder charge of the round being fired.

This is my Glock G45 (9mm) running a Parker Mountain Machine comp.  The comp definitely works and the gun tracks fairly flat, especially when shooting hotter rounds.

i-hfHN6vh-X2.jpg

I saw that new Sig P365XL Spectre Comp for the first time just earlier today and it absolutely piqued my interest.  🙂

I like the set up-

• Like 1
  • Administrator
51 minutes ago, Defender said:

One thing that I really like about this one is that it’s integral and doesn’t make the gun longer.  Which means my holsters will work. Plus, to be honest, other comps I’ve seen have esthetics I don’t like.

Yes - the fact that it keeps the overall length of the gun the same as that of regular XL makes it a very attractive choice.  🙂

I'm not trying to call anyone's baby ugly, but is the real or perceived recoil reduction benefit of a comp worth the extra muzzle blast?  Open division guns massively reduce recoil, but are specially tuned with red-hot ammo that makes all the gas required to make the comp actually function.  The trade-off is they are extremely loud.  I doubt the comp-equipped guns marketed to defensive types are as loud, but I am skeptical if they are worthwhile.  

• Like 1

I have not had a chance to get any range time yet but I recently picked up a S&W Performance Center Shield Plus with the top ported barrel and slide. I wonder how it will compare. The only other pistol I have with any sort of comp or porting is a G17 with a Mass Driver comp so not exactly apples to apples. 
13254-pc-OnWhite-TopBack.png.680d0c892245d3bc840231365ac59570.png

13254-pc-OnWhite-Top.png.63f8d33619f8527f0f1cddfccffdda07.png
I actually had a bit of buyers remorse the morning after getting it but I am hoping that will pass once I get some time with it. I think once I find a good holster solution and comfortable carry configuration I will feel better about it. 

13254-pc-OnWhite-Left.png

13254-pc-OnWhite-Right.png

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

I have not had a chance to get any range time yet but I recently picked up a S&W Performance Center Shield Plus with the top ported barrel and slide. I wonder how it will compare. The only other pistol I have with any sort of comp or porting is a G17 with a Mass Driver comp so not exactly apples to apples. 

I actually had a bit of buyers remorse the morning after getting it but I am hoping that will pass once I get some time with it. I think once I find a good holster solution and comfortable carry configuration I will feel better about it. 

I don't have the ported Shield Plus, but I can tell you that the PC 2.0 ported is a joy to shoot. It does make reduce flip on the Shield. As the owner of multiple Shields over the years, I really like the PC 2.0 Ported model.

Now my Shield Plus PC 4" is not ported. It shoots as well for me as the 2.0. Perhaps a bit more flip, but not being a pro, it's barely a consideration for me now. 

Would I like my new one ported...yes, I would. But got what I found when I found it.

Now back to the og's topic. Is a comp really necessary on the 365XL? I haven't shot one, so i have no point of reference on it. Thoughts welcome. 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, TGO David said:

i-hfHN6vh-X2.jpg

I've said this before, but needs to be repeated. David, you have some very interesting pistols. You give me ideas and bad thoughts. lol

I have a G19 with a TLR7 stashed around the house. Does suit it's purpose and I'm familiar enough with it to not be concerned really about replacing it. However...that  G45 setup is really nice looking.

I bought a G45 and sold it to a buddy. I do sort of regret that move. Right up there with selling a Shadow Systems because I got money scared. lol

Maybe I'll get one of the G45s if I stop buying all these other tempting items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, hipower said:

I've said this before, but needs to be repeated. David, you have some very interesting pistols. You give me ideas and bad thoughts. lol

I have a G19 with a TLR7 stashed around the house. Does suit it's purpose and I'm familiar enough with it to not be concerned really about replacing it. However...that  G45 setup is really nice looking.

I bought a G45 and sold it to a buddy. I do sort of regret that move. Right up there with selling a Shadow Systems because I got money scared. lol

Although it’s not my edc, I do love my G45.

I’m pretty happy with my P-365XL Spectre, and probably won’t go the comp route because if the cost, but how much difference will the porting and shorter barrel make in velocity? Read somewhere online some guy was talking about releasing gases via a suppressor had a positive effect on bullet stabilization that may negate small loss of velocity due to using a suppressor.  Not sure if I described this correctly, but wonder if a similar concept, if he’s right, would apply to the P-365xl Spectre comp?

• Administrator
6 hours ago, hipower said:

Here's a fun tidbit:  My G45 setup with the X300UB light and the PMM compensator fits into holsters made for a Glock 34/35 with the X300UB light.  🙂

On 2/8/2022 at 12:43 PM, OldIronFan said:

Had an M&P 9 PC comp and absolutely hated it.  Got gummed up too easily, several types of factory 115 and 124 gr ammo.  Comp left black marks on the barrel which were hard to clean  Went back to S&W they said I should use 100 gr or lighter bullets...really?  Hope yours works better.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, TGO David said:

i-hfHN6vh-X2.jpg

Who did the slide work on that?