Sig P-365XL Spectre Comp

Defender

6 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I had Doug over at DP Custom Works do the slide for me.  He milled it for the optic, milled the front top cocking serrations and then had the whole slide redone in black nitride (Melonite) finish.

Custom Slide Work | DP Custom Works LLC

Man, I've got a full-on G19 cut by Agency Arms, but that is simple and sexy.  I might need a G45 just so that I can send it over to him.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
39 minutes ago, Burnman5000 said:

Man, I've got a full-on G19 cut by Agency Arms, but that is simple and sexy.  I might need a G45 just so that I can send it over to him.

I've had Doug do three or four for me now.  He does fantastic work, and his prices and turn-around times are very reasonable.  There is a thread on TGO about my custom M&P M2.0 that he did if you want to see more of his work.

• Love 1

In the spirit of keeping this head going:

Most people do not need a compensator on a carry gun,   Fo me they are a headache.  They  make the gun "bark" more, can blind you at night.  If it is a ported barrel within a moving slide (most pistols) then you get soot and discoloration all over the barrel at the ports.  Some guns just don't cycle as well with ports.  In my experience it usually takes developing a handled for a compensated gun to get the most out of it.  Cleaning after each shoot or event if mandatory with a comp to get reliable cycling.  For oob carry or casual range use, I just don't see any benefit.  If you are going to compete in a action pistol, then probably are worth it.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, JustEd said:

In the spirit of keeping this head going:

Most people do not need a compensator on a carry gun,   Fo me they are a headache.  They  make the gun "bark" more, can blind you at night.  If it is a ported barrel within a moving slide (most pistols) then you get soot and discoloration all over the barrel at the ports.  Some guns just don't cycle as well with ports.  In my experience it usually takes developing a handled for a compensated gun to get the most out of it.  Cleaning after each shoot or event if mandatory with a comp to get reliable cycling.  For oob carry or casual range use, I just don't see any benefit.  If you are going to compete in a action pistol, then probably are worth it.

I'll just say that a lot of what you said depends on the gun, on the caliber, on the ammunition being used, and the design of the compensator itself.  I've run my compensated G45 side-by-side with my non compensated G19 with the same range ammo and the same carry ammo and the G45 had no discernable increase in muzzle flash.  I also have not changed recoil spring assemblies with the G45 or done anything else to "tune it" to run better with the comp.  Factory G45/G19 recoil spring assembly only.

For smaller guns like the P365 or Hellcat or M&P Shield, I would say that the compensator makes even more sense than it does on a larger gun because every extra little bit of controllability that you can get "feels" more significant with a smaller gun than it does with a larger gun.

I'll let you know in about week how the Spectre Comp runs.  I have one coming.

Here's a video everyone might benefit from watching in the meantime.  It's a comparison of the Spectre Comp in the dark compared to the non compensated P365 XL.   Come to your own conclusions after you watch it.  I've bookmarked the video to start right at the side-by-side comparison in the dark.

• Like 1

You make good points David, still think a comp does not benefit most people on a carry weapon.  It is certainly not necessary to be an effective sidearm.  For me, I would much rather concentrate on items, such as sights, trigger and a really good holster. 

The specter is a bit different design and does avoid some of the shortcomings,, but alas it adds bolt and cost.

Anyway, hope yours works out great of you.  Do you have a holster picked out?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, JustEd said:

You make good points David, still think a comp does not benefit most people on a carry weapon.  It is certainly not necessary to be an effective sidearm.  For me, I would much rather concentrate on items, such as sights, trigger and a really good holster. 

100% agree!

2 hours ago, JustEd said:

The specter is a bit different design and does avoid some of the shortcomings,, but alas it adds bolt and cost.

Anyway, hope yours works out great of you.  Do you have a holster picked out?

I've been carrying my regular old P365 in a Henry Holsters "Flint Compact" which should fit it, but I decided to order a new holster while I was at it.

I have a PHLSTER Pro coming.  I have one of them for my chunky Walther PDP and it is super comfortable.

Gienormous photo...

P1133817.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Yep.  I've got a new Holosun 407K green dot sitting on my desk just waiting for it.

Have the red dot version of the 407k on my Hellcat.  It is quite good.  Been on for about 4 or 5 months with no issues.  Doesn't seem to change zero like one of Sig Romeo 1's did (replaced).  Auto off/on is fantastic.  I did have to get a DeSantis holster which was cut for the optic, but it is a good holster.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, JustEd said:

Have the red dot version of the 407k on my Hellcat.  It is quite good.  Been on for about 4 or 5 months with no issues.  Doesn't seem to change zero like one of Sig Romeo 1's did (replaced).  Auto off/on is fantastic.  I did have to get a DeSantis holster which was cut for the optic, but it is a good holster.

I honestly think I like this 407K more than I like the 507K that I have on my Staccato C2.  I prefer the larger dot.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TGO David said:

I honestly think I like this 407K more than I like the 507K that I have on my Staccato C2.  I prefer the larger dot.

There are fans of both.

FOR ME, the 6moa dot works better as it is the same size as the one on my P320.  That’s my main and frequent steel banger. Have two other red dots but smaller moa, both are 22’s.

Same same works for me in practice vs carry😊

Both are good systems. 

• Like 1