Norinco Yellow Box

I’ve had a few hundred rounds of Norinco Yellow Box 7.62x39 for a few years now. I know it’s not imported anymore but there is still some out there for sale if you do some digging. I haven’t shot any of it yet, but what is all the hype? I’m seeing it go for between $30-40 a box. Is it that high because it can’t be readily obtained? Is it something collectors value? Is it worth throwing out for sale or just shoot it? I’m just trying to figure out what would be best as I’m getting low on my Brown Bear. 

45 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

I would resell to collectors and buy more rounds of Wolf or Brown Bear or whatever modern steel case you can find the cheapest.

This!

iirc there was the Yellow box 7.62x39 and maybe a Green box?

The best thing was, way back when, it was so inexpensive. I've shot bunches of it back in the early 90's and it was fine. I think it got caught up in the Clinton ban, but I may not be remembering well... aging brain and all of that.

I sold what I had left of it to collectors several years back. People will collect anything 😉

4 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

This!

iirc there was the Yellow box 7.62x39 and maybe a Green box?

The best thing was, way back when, it was so inexpensive. I've shot bunches of it back in the early 90's and it was fine. I think it got caught up in the Clinton ban, but I may not be remembering well... aging brain and all of that.

I sold what I had left of it to collectors several years back. People will collect anything 😉

A green one like this?  😁

20220208_164656.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gunrunner32 said:

I appreciate the replies and selling it off sounds the best to obtain more of the cheaper stuff. I just find it difficult looking at market value of the ammo, but like even the ugliest cars out there, there’s a butt that will fill the seat. 

A lot of the old Norinco is also steel core.  I think that was in a different colored box and marked as such but maybe some of the yellow box is as well.  Don’t completely know, but many claim the yellow box is steel core when they’re selling it, thus inflating the price.

• Like 1

I just checked and the yellow box has steel case bullet heads.

On another note, can anyone fill me on a unopened cast of 7.62x39 South African?  I’ve had it laying around for years to shoot in my SKS’s and AK’s if I ever get around to shooting them.  Thanks.

It seems like back when the Chinese ammo was still being imported that you couldn't 100% count on the info on the box. There were batches that were supposed to be non-corrosive but weren't, supposed to be lead core (all of it I ever saw has steel jacketed bullet with differing cores) but had steel cores.  And vice versa, labeled corrosive but was non-corrosive, etc.

I think at times they labeled it however they needed to to get it imported and filled the boxes with whatever was available.

The only way to be certain is to section the bullets and do the "nail test" for the primers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to sacrificing a round to determine if the rounds themselves were steel inside. After pulling the round from the case I found it stuck to a magnet. I grabbed it work some pliers and took it to the disc sander and found steel under the copper jacket. 

It’s coming from Factory 71 with an ‘89 head stamp. 

Thanks to everyone for the knowledge, picture included to show my findings. 

1BF0FDAC-B964-4D89-BDB1-9F3D900EC267.jpeg

ABC62F5D-5403-4AFA-BCC3-ABBF3D7582B9.jpeg

• Like 1