Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Is it likely that I could find an old but reliable dual sport bike for $1,500-2000? I'd like to dip my toe in the water before forking out $4k.

What should I look for and where besides Facebook and Craigslist? 

It's possible but unlikely.  I would expect to have to pay closer to 2500-3000 for something that doesn't need a lot of work. 

I don't know what your skill level is, but if you are already a rider with some experience, you should go to the BMW school and check out their Off-Road course.  They have a one day and a two day version.  And you can use one of their bikes.  The BMW adventure bikes are really good bikes.  It's a bit different from a dual sport but you will still get a ton from their class.

https://bmwperformancecenter.com/motorrad/schools

• Like 2
1 minute ago, peejman said:

The t-dub is a tractor, it'll go darn near anywhere slowly. 

There was one YouTube review on it and the title for the video is, “it does nothing well, but you need one”. 

I just love the fat tires.  

• Like 1
Just now, Hozzie said:

There was one YouTube review on it and the title for the video is, “it does nothing well, but you need one”. 

I just love the fat tires.  

I fell in love with Exile Cycles back when biker build off was a thing.  Their fat bloke model has fat front and rear tires and I love that look.  I know it's not a dual sport but it's awesome just the same.  The TW200 is kind of a dual sport version of that bike.  Simple and fat. 

30226680_1861197290581610_35662910043507

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Is it likely that I could find an old but reliable dual sport bike for $1,500-2000? I'd like to dip my toe in the water before forking out $4k.

Possible, but prices have jumped considerably over the past few years.  Virtually every model has its own forum where you can find typical problems or modifications. 

https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/t-clocs_inspection_checklist.pdf

https://motofomo.com/buying-a-used-motorcycle-inspection-checklist/

If you've not ridden much. I highly recommend the MSF course. There's a dirt version that I'd really like to take. 

https://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

https://training.msf-usa.org/RES/dbs/enroll/dbsintro.aspx

There's also the TTC.  I'd also love to go to trials training days and watch the TKO. A few years ago they had a round of the FIM world trials championship. 

https://trialstrainingcenter.com/location-directions/

These guys have a great channel tons of instructional videos. 

Edited by peejman
yet more stuff
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, peejman said:

Are most dual sport bikes 2 stroke?

How would this one rank?

You can't go wrong with any Japanese motorcycle. They know what they're doing, parts are readily available, and there will always be a resale market.  I sold a KDX-220  (a two-stroke) a while back, and I know the buyer is going to have a great time with it, just as I did. The problem with two-strokes is pollution, of course. They can be made clean-burning now, but the manufacturers have gone four-stroke, and that's that. There are electric bikes out there, too, but I won't be putting a leg over one anytime soon.

50 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

s it likely that I could find an old but reliable dual sport bike for $1,500-2000?

No, It's possible, but unlikely. People snap those up pretty quickly, so unless you happen to find one that belongs to a friend of a friend.....

49 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Golsn.com has a few. You might stumble across a deal, and if you do, you have to say “I’ll take it!” and head that way immediately. You’re more likely to buy a $1500 bike and spend another $1500 getting it ready to ride. The good thing about a nice one is there isn’t any trouble getting rid of it later if you decide it isn’t what you want.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, Erik88 said:

Is there a good forum for learning more about these types of bikes? I know I see some street legal bikes that look more like dirt bikes which I'm interested in. Not sure where to look. 

Dual sport bikes sound like what you're describing. I used to go to dealers & pester a salesman with 1000 questions during my rookie learning curve. They were pretty cool about it then. 

For a dual sport, you'll want to balance the need for Hp with the overall weight of the bike. Something in the 700-800cc would be what I would look at. Still good power but pretty nimble off road.

My .o2

30 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm seeing a lot for sale but most aren't street legal. No mirrors, lights etc. Is TN pretty lax in their laws about converting one? 

Unless the model was made to easily convert, it’s a real pain to mess with electrical.  Avoid bikes that aren’t already street legal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm seeing a lot for sale but most aren't street legal. No mirrors, lights etc. Is TN pretty lax in their laws about converting one? 

Depends on which tag/title office you visit. Some don't care and will give you a tag when the title clearly says "off road use only". 

As long as it's got a headlight, brake/tail light, and 1 mirror, you're good. Turn signals are not required on motorcycles. 

You'll only get hassled about that if you've earned it by being an idiot or happen across one of the checkpoints THP sets up in the summer. 

• Like 1

In my opinion there are Dual Sports, there are scramblers, and then there are Adventure Bikes.
Dual Sports are dirt bikes that are street legal. Most are going to be 450cc or under. They are going to generally have a narrow seat, more ground clearance, longer travel off road oriented suspension, aggressive or at least 60/40 dirt oriented tires. They are going to have a 19"+ dia. front wheel and 17" dia. rear in most cases. Generally smaller fuel tanks, and high clearance fenders. Key here is they are light, narrow, and nimble. 

Scramblers are street bikes made to handle a little dirt. They are going to be a bit classic in look and in the mid range on engine size, likely in the 500cc - 800cc range. Very little plastic on the bikes, think old school exposed perimeter frame, round headlight, and a high pipe that runs up just below the seat or rear subframe level instead of at approx. wheel axle height. They may have a slightly more aggressive tire but will still be primarily road oriented. Likely a wire spoked wheel set in traditional 17" street wheel diameter sizes. Fairly upright riding position and a flat or very slightly pulled back wide handle bar. Maybe a bit more ground clearance than the street version but still a lower seat height. Mid weight but still pretty chunky to really throw around in the dirt. 

Adventure bikes are the big aggressive touring bikes that claim they are off road capable but most just eat up asphalt miles. The one key feature that most have is the "Beak", the high plastic fender out front usually just under the monstrous headlight assembly and windshield. There is going to be a bit more plastic here but not full cladding like a modern sport bike. Generally a high seat height with good ground clearance and a fairly compliant medium travel suspension. They are going to be big, 600+ cc and 450+lbs (likely 600+lbs) and have larger tanks for range. Generally full luggage with side cases, a top case, or at least racks for adding them out back. Spoked wheels are common but front tires sizes can vary from 17" to 21" diameter. Tires will be mostly street oriented from the factory but generally are pretty poor in any real dirt, sand or mud. Great or the highway, good on the backroads, decent on a forest service road or gravel road, but just this side of a road glide as a true trail/woods bike. Once you drop and have to pick one up a few times off road you will be looking for a lighter more nimble bike with a lot less "baggage" for any real trails. 

If I had to have only one bike it would the the lightest mid size Adventure Bike I could find since my days of being in any real trail or woods terrain on two wheels are behind me. That way I could enjoy some backroads on a comfortable yet still capable bike with an upright riding position one day and hit a few forest service/dirt roads the next. I could commute to work with relative ease and even knock out a nice long weekend trip with a bit of luggage and some highway miles if I wanted. 

As it stands now I am only regularly riding my sport tourer (VFR 800Fi) but I do have a few vintage project bikes waiting in the wings. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

If I had to have only one bike it would the the lightest mid size Adventure Bike I could find since my days of being in any real trail or woods terrain on two wheels are behind me. That way I could enjoy some backroads on a comfortable yet still capable bike with an upright riding position one day and hit a few forest service/dirt roads the next. I could commute to work with relative ease and even knock out a nice long weekend trip with a bit of luggage and some highway miles if I wanted.

This was exactly how I ended up with my Tiger 900 GT Pro.  If I did more offroad, I would have got the Rally Pro version.   I put Trailmax Mission tires on it in place of the factor road based tires and it has been a really nice all around bike.  Granted, I have only had it 6 months, but so far so good.

23 hours ago, Darrell said:

You can't go wrong with any Japanese motorcycle. They know what they're doing, parts are readily available, and there will always be a resale market.  I sold a KDX-220  (a two-stroke) a while back, and I know the buyer is going to have a great time with it, just as I did. The problem with two-strokes is pollution, of course. They can be made clean-burning now, but the manufacturers have gone four-stroke, and that's that. There are electric bikes out there, too, but I won't be putting a leg over one anytime soon.

I ended up selling my KDX220 several years ago.    Prior to that I had a KDX200 so 2 strokes still hold a big place in my heart.  While Japan got out of 2 stokes, several European companies still offer 2 stroke models.   KTM still has a large offering of 2 stroke models as well as Gas Gas.    KTM still offers the bike I've wanted for for a bunch of years, the XC-300 2 stroke.   

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/models/enduro/2-stroke/ktm-300-xc-w-tpi2022.html

On 2/10/2022 at 6:32 AM, Darrell said:

I've always been interested in the Urals. Which model do you own?  I've got five bikes in the garage, from a Ducati Superbike 1098S to a Gas Gas Trials 300. But I might be able to find room for a Ural. Harder to hide from the wife than a new pistol, though.

I've got the Gear Up, so it's got the two wheel drive system, and reverse too.  And as a bonus it has a machine gun mounting post.  It's the only motorcycle that my wife will ride, she really likes the sidecar.  It really needs the carbs cleaned, which will probably be a spring project.  And it does take a lot of room in the garage.

• Like 2