Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

My younger son had problems with his Sportster this weekend. It would run fine, but every now and then, it would spit and sputter and not want to idle like it was starving for fuel. You could shut it off and crank it back and it would run fine again…maybe.

Hoping it was just some trash in the carb, I took it apart and cleaned it today. It wasn’t nasty, but there was it did look as if it could use a good scrubbing. It cranks and idles fine now, but did before…sometimes. Looks like it’ll be a few days before we can try it out and see if that fixed it.

He’s nervous about it leaving him stranded. LOL! I didn’t consider that he really didn’t grow up with carburetors. Fuel injection largely did away with this type problem.

I put several miles on my bike last weekend and yesterday. I’m ready for riding season!

• Like 1

I put Seafoam in it. Smells like rubbing alcohol to me.

He bought the bike used. We can't help what happened before then.

We only run non ethanol in our bikes.

I think I have it fixed, but need to ride a while and verify this. The weather wasn't real friendly yesterday.

LOL! I'm not sure what he did to get it to backfire, but it scared the hell out of him. Tickled me. He said it ain't supposed to smoke out of the breather is it??!!?😁

Running gas with ethanol is no problem, but letting ethanol sit in a carburetor is bad news. If you're riding regularly, every day-ish, then ethanol will give you no grief at all. If the bike has a petcock it's a good idea to close it and run the fuel out of the float bowl. 

Plus one on peejman's comment about the vacuum leak. My experience with HD's is that they do pop and sputter through the exhaust during off-throttle deceleration. True backfire through the carb is worrisome.

• Like 1
Just now, Darrell said:

Running gas with ethanol is no problem, but letting ethanol sit in a carburetor is bad news. If you're riding regularly, every day-ish, then ethanol will give you no grief at all. If the bike has a petcock it's a good idea to close it and run the fuel out of the float bowl. 

Plus one on peejman's comment about the vacuum leak. My experience with HD's is that they do pop and sputter through the exhaust during off-throttle deceleration. True backfire through the carb is worrisome.

I would qualify the ethanol is ok statement with it depends on the design. Ethanol is bad for older seals and materials that were never intended for use with it.  Most newer bikes were designed with E10 gas in mind so it's not as bad. And designed, not manufactured, is the key. They still build stuff that was designed 20+ years ago.  My bike is an '07 but was designed in the 80's.  

• Like 2

I think he was pumping the throttle to start it when it was warm that caused the backfire. It hasn’t happened before or since.

I’ll check the vacuum hose more closely if this hasn’t fixed it. It looked fine at a cursory glance. I’d think that would be an all the time issue instead of periodic, but who knows.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

He bought it back in the winter, and thinks he's ran all the old gas out of it, but I'm not sure. What was in the carb bowl smelled funky.

Drain the old oil out. To me, the foul smell is the telling issue. The crap gas went South. Drain, flush and refill with 100 percent gas and retest.

• Like 1

One sets the cam belt tension of a Ducati by strumming the belt and testing the frequency. Something like tuning a guitar, I guess, but the belt is heavier. Anyway, I set the tension of my cam belts this morning, and this is the result. But they should be good for five years.

IMG_0265.JPG

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, buck1032 said:

Drain the old oil out. To me, the foul smell is the telling issue. The crap gas went South. Drain, flush and refill with 100 percent gas and retest.

LOL! Rode it and it ran worse than before. Off to get a diaphragm for the top cover of the carburetor that I pinched putting it back together yesterday. No doubt it was sucking air there.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

One sets the cam belt tension of a Ducati by strumming the belt and testing the frequency. Something like tuning a guitar, I guess, but the belt is heavier. Anyway, I set the tension of my cam belts this morning, and this is the result. But they should be good for five years.

IMG_0265.JPG

Ferrari is the same way.  They sell a tuner for their techs to "tune" the belt to the right tension. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Darrell said:

IMG_0265.JPG

So it’s more like loading a Garand than tuning a guitar, eh?😃

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm signed up for a two day class at Pellissippi State later this month to learn how to ride a motorcycle. 

The way gas prices are headed maybe I'll get a moped 🙂.

It is a great thing. I’ve been riding since before you were born. I took a class last year with my younger son. I learned several things that have made me a better driver as well as a better bike rider.

As far as the moped, not a bad idea. I’ll also tell you my Harley gets 45-50mpg if you need a selling point to appease your wife.😉

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm signed up for a two day class at Pellissippi State later this month to learn how to ride a motorcycle. 

The way gas prices are headed maybe I'll get a moped 🙂.

My 1993 Goldwing gets about 45 mpg, I may use it more this year with gas prices going up and up. I actually put more miles on my bicycle for social and health reasons and may use it more for trips to the store. The Goldwing will definitely get more use this year for longer rides.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

'm signed up for a two day class at Pellissippi State later this month to learn how to ride a motorcycle. 

I love bikes and have been riding for a LONG time, but be careful as you start out. A lot of drivers won't see you, so you need to expect them to behave as if you aren't there.  Bikes generally get pretty good fuel economy, my 1200cc BMW averages right around 50mpg.  But my 1100cc Ducati gets about half that, so ymmv!  Buy the very best helmet you can afford and don't go cheap on tires.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, gregintenn said:

My younger son had problems with his Sportster this weekend. It would run fine, but every now and then, it would spit and sputter and not want to idle like it was starving for fuel. You could shut it off and crank it back and it would run fine again…maybe.

Hoping it was just some trash in the carb, I took it apart and cleaned it today. It wasn’t nasty, but there was it did look as if it could use a good scrubbing. It cranks and idles fine now, but did before…sometimes. Looks like it’ll be a few days before we can try it out and see if that fixed it.

He’s nervous about it leaving him stranded. LOL! I didn’t consider that he really didn’t grow up with carburetors. Fuel injection largely did away with this type problem.

I put several miles on my bike last weekend and yesterday. I’m ready for riding season!

Another over looked answer to this same issue is a gas cap that has a non working vent. Dont ask me how I know.... 

• Like 2

I'm still most interested in a Dual Sport bike. I want to get a hitch hauler for my truck and ride down in Tellico. I saw a guy on one a few years ago and he drove right through the creek crossing on one of the roads. Water was probably 8" deep. It looks like he was having a blast.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I'm still most interested in a Dual Sport bike. I want to get a hitch hauler for my truck and ride down in Tellico. I saw a guy on one a few years ago and he drove right through the creek crossing on one of the roads. Water was probably 8" deep. It looks like he was having a blast.

No doubt he was.