Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 as my dual sport. Its a 2013 and I found it locally 2 years ago for only $3500 with 1600 miles. I wouldnt want anything smaller if you are going to do any road riding. Even mine is screaming over 60 or so, though I did go 1 tooth smaller in the front and I'm running full DOT knobbies.

It gets over 50mpg on the road, and probably around 40 in the trails.

But, its fantastic in the woods. I dont ride fast on trails, mostly just exploring. I havent found anywhere it cant go yet. Thats taking into account my intermediate skills also-lol. And since I often ride alone, I try not to get into a situation I cant get out of myself.

I believe the KLX and DRZ is the same bike in similar sizes. I know the old KLX400 was the same as mine. Not sure about the smaller models. Hondas are great also, but getting pricey. Recently rode with a guy on a Honda CRF450 steet legal model. Nice bike, 6 speed with FI, but not 3 times as  nice as mine-lol.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

As a kid, I had a Yamaha DT 175 Enduro and later a DT 360 Enduro.

I had both of those, and a DT-400, too, along with a ton of others. It's hard to beat a 175cc two-stroke "enduro" bike. 

• Like 1

As a side note and general annoyance, do people just simply not respond when you make an offer on something for sale.  I made (I feel pretty reasonable) offers on two bikes this week.  Not a word from either person.  Not even a "get ripped".  I usually say thanks for the offer, but no, even if I think it is a bad offer on something I am selling.  / small rant off.  

7 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I made (I feel pretty reasonable) offers on two bikes this week.

Did you make those offers in-person?  One of my pet peeves is people making an email offer without ever seeing the item for sale. I will only negotiate face-to-face, but I surely would have replied to your emailed offer (if that's what it was) and invited you to come and see the bike.

• Like 1

No, but they were both like new bikes.  Actually the KLX above and a 2020 CRF 250L with like 57 miles on it.  It isn't so much a matter of looking at them as just agreeing on a price or having a conversation about it.  I am not driving an hour and a half to just look at something :).  I let them know it's cash and I am flexible on potential meet times.  I don't mind a response like you say, but it's at least a response.  Just not responding at all is a bit annoying.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

No, but they were both like new bikes.  Actually the KLX above and a 2020 CRF 250L with like 57 miles on it.  It isn't so much a matter of looking at them as just agreeing on a price or having a conversation about it.  I am not driving an hour and a half to just look at something :).  I let them know it's cash and I am flexible on potential meet times.  I don't mind a response like you say, but it's at least a response.  Just not responding at all is a bit annoying.

I honestly think some folks just completely lack the concept of how to sell something. I’ve ran into the same type thing many times.

• Like 2

If you are the type that keeps your rides for an extended number of years, it would be wise to buy a bike "model"  that has high sale production numbers. Back in the 70's - 80's Honda was by far the largest warehouse parts distribution network in the US out of the 3 Jap manufacturers. I dont know who has the top sales figures for dual sport enduro's these days but thats one reason why Honda was a tad higher priced back then. My first bike for the road was a 73 Suzuki TS185. Back then, a 16 year old could get a bike license before a car endorsement. Every Suzuki dirt rider was proud as hell riding a zuki since Roger Decosta was invincible on the world Motocross champions. Then Honda bought him into the Honda camp and he put Honda in the Champion circle time and time again. Much of the Honda motocross track suspension designs were fleshed out with Decosta finger prints on the designs threw the 80's. Those were the days when you could tel a guy running Bardohl 2 stroke mix when he shot past you on the track. It was dirt perfume! A great spectators sport for sure. I had a Honda XL350 once that was a torquey thumper. Once you get used to a 350 and up torque generator that can launch you up a steep grade with a tickle of the throttle, It would be tough to buy a smaller displacement bike. But thats where weight and fuel injection comes in on modern bikes. Weight is a Huge, Huge part of the equation in all around performance and economy. Thats the conundrum. A 250 will usually all ways be lighter since the frame isnt going to be stressed with THAT much power making it more ideal for a new rider. Those would be the specs I would look at if ever buying a new Enduro. Thats what a "Dual Sport" used to be called. Its about weight and torque specs for dirt or some measure it HP per lb if its a bike mostly based on pavement for that kind of performance. Same principals for anything with wheels screwed on. 

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1

Well, after contacting them again and a bit of back and forth, worked out a deal on the KLX300 and got it home this evening.  I am looking forward to getting a little seat time on it.  Don't have a lot of experience on the smaller off road oriented bikes, but should be fun to learn.   Now I have my 90/10 bike and a 10/90 bike.  One thing is for sure, I can't see how anyone would want to ride one of these little things on a large highway.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Well, after contacting them again and a bit of back and forth, worked out a deal on the KLX300 and got it home this evening.  I am looking forward to getting a little seat time on it.  Don't have a lot of experience on the smaller off road oriented bikes, but should be fun to learn.   Now I have my 90/10 bike and a 10/90 bike.  One thing is for sure, I can't see how anyone would want to ride one of these little things on a large highway.

spacer.png

That ought to be a barrel of fun!

• Like 1

So I've been researching different bikes. Apparently the motorcycle market is just as jacked up as trying to buy a new or used car right now. I have yet to find any "deals" on Facebook marketplace. I've seen a few people selling the Honda CFR300L Rally for more than they cost NEW.

Other than Facebook, where else should I shop for used bikes?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

So I've been researching different bikes. Apparently the motorcycle market is just as jacked up as trying to buy a new or used car right now. I have yet to find any "deals" on Facebook marketplace. I've seen a few people selling the Honda CFR300L Rally for more than they cost NEW.

What are you looking for exactly ? I can keep an eye out on the various places I haunt .

3 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

What are you looking for exactly ? I can keep an eye out on the various places I haunt .

Thanks. I haven't settled on a specific model yet but I've got a few in mind. Either the Honda I mentioned above or the Kawasaki KLX that Hozzie bought. Or really any dual sport around 300cc. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

LSN (local shopping network), Craigslist, Cycletrader, eBay. I look at LSN and Craigslist daily, just in case there's something I didn't know I wanted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

https://www.advrider.com/f/forums/bikes.52/

And every model has a specific forum, keep an eye on those as well 

• Like 1

When my son wanted to try a first bike to take his Drivers license on, I settled on getting him this one about 11 years ago. It was $1,479 delivered in a crate. We did a basic assembly and I fleshed it out on the road. It did everything pretty good. It was a 200cc. He learned some good lessons riding it on the road. Then we sold it for a 84 Honda 450 Night Hawk. Now hes on a Yamaha 650 V Star Classic. I think the China bike was a great learner for him. I didnt know if he would like riding enough to stick with it. So in my book, New & cheap fit the bill just right. I was impressed enough with that deal that when my 7 year old Grandson wanted a dirt bike, I found a 110 automatic on Amazon and he likes riding it when ever we have him on those rare occasions. I see Amazon has fuel injected 250's now. Buying from them was a snap. It worked out well for us as starter throw aways if they got crashed.

mcYy2Hpl.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, phiferran said:

I realize this might be considered blasphemy, but I really want to try a Can Am Spyder F3.  Co worker has one and he gets grief from the serious motorcyclists but he loves it. 

Just a trike turned around 

I got this 2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 with 4k miles last year as a workaround for insurance, the rising cost of fuel, and 3 teens on the insurance.  Loved that bike. 

3377817.jpg

Got totaled in November!

20211130_111539.jpg

Promptly replaced with a 2010 Yamaha Stratoliner with 6k miles on it. Enjoying every bit of it!

20220303_152747.jpg

20220303_153010.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

The question I had to come to terms with was what did I really want, what could I live with, and what was an actual deal.  I think right now a "deal" on a good used 250 is about 5k.  In general terms a new 300 would be about 7k out the door IF you can even find one.  I called the dealer where I bought my Triumph and asked for a price on the same KLX I bought and they basically said they probably won't have one this year or it will be late in the year.  

In the end I figure when all is said and done, I will probably save $1000 over new equally equipped.  Not a huge amount, but as with many things today, it's just about availability.  You need be ready to jump if you see something that you feel is a good deal, whatever that is.  I could have bought a 2020 CRF250l with 282 miles on it for 5k, but would have needed to change out the suspension from everything I have read (cause I'm not skinny :)) so that would have been $500-600 more.  

I guess what I am trying to say is, there really aren't any "steals" out there and only you can define what a "deal" is.  Facebook, CL, and LSN are about the only things I know of to watch.

Good luck.  If I see something I'll let you know.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Darrell said:

I look at LSN and Craigslist daily, just in case there's something I didn't know I wanted.

Truer words have never been spoken.  I would hate to know the money I have spent on things I didn't know I wanted while perusing CL.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

When my son wanted to try a first bike to take his Drivers license on, I settled on getting him this one about 11 years ago. It was $1,479 delivered in a crate. We did a basic assembly and I fleshed it out on the road. It did everything pretty good. It was a 200cc. He learned some good lessons riding it on the road. Then we sold it for a 84 Honda 450 Night Hawk. Now hes on a Yamaha 650 V Star Classic. I think the China bike was a great learner for him. I didnt know if he would like riding enough to stick with it. So in my book, New & cheap fit the bill just right. I was impressed enough with that deal that when my 7 year old Grandson wanted a dirt bike, I found a 110 automatic on Amazon and he likes riding it when ever we have him on those rare occasions. I see Amazon has fuel injected 250's now. Buying from them was a snap. It worked out well for us as starter throw aways if they got crashed.

mcYy2Hpl.jpg

A lot of folks swore by these. Can you still get them somewhere? I remember the price was right, and the few I saw appeared to be a pretty faithful copy of a Honda engine.

Might be an economical way to see if a motorcycle is really your thing.

I just looked. Amazon has them. Might be something worth looking into, Erik.

https://www.amazon.com/HHH-TBR7-Motorcycle-Scooter-Scooter,White/dp/B09JV26BCN/ref=asc_df_B09JV26BCN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=558188916141&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3745960526658824487&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013177&hvtargid=pla-1462929379417&psc=1#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Edited by gregintenn